I'm currently reporting for The Auburn Plainsman, wondering if there are any University Heights residents or employees on here.

If there is anyone who witnessed/remembers the previous shooting in April and would like to talk/comment about it? Your information will be kept confidential and anonymous if desired.

You can either post on here or send me a message so I can contact you.

Thanks to everyone for posting what they know, today was crazy. Prayers and lots of love to all the AU community.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any updates on whether the suspect(s) has been apprehended?

Used to prosecute these types and wonder what was going through the "minds' of such dirt. IMHO there are people that are not crazy in the medical sense, just mean. They know right from wrong but it's way, way cool to them to do what's clearly wrong. The more shockingly wrong, the cooler. To them.

Just curious, anybody know how many murders there have been within say a 50 mile radius of Auburn in the last 20, 30, 40 years?

If any one needs a facebook cover photo...

270859_421470111209745_1054208938_n.jpg

I've got it up on our Greater Nashville Auburn Club Facebook page.

Here are the details as I have heard them from various sites.

The fight was between Desmonte Leonard/possible others and Demario Pitts/Turquorius Vines. Pitts was killed. Vines survived.

The football players LaDarious Phillips, Ed Christian, and Eric Mack were also killed/injured and John Robinson and Xavier Moss were also injured in the gunfire. Were they involved in the fight at all or just victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I really hope Desmonte Leonard and the other guys he was with are tracked down very soon.

I'm currently reporting for The Auburn Plainsman, wondering if there are any University Heights residents or employees on here.

If there is anyone who witnessed/remembers the previous shooting in April and would like to talk/comment about it? Your information will be kept confidential and anonymous if desired.

You can either post on here or send me a message so I can contact you.

Thanks to everyone for posting what they know, today was crazy. Prayers and lots of love to all the AU community.

I have a real problem with this post. This is not the time or the place for you to come here soliciting sources for a story. That's not what we are here for and its just simply not appropriate, IMO. If you do in fact write for the Plainsman, then you are already in Auburn and can get your story from people there. i see no need to come here soliciting info.

I'm not doing a story on the shootings that occurred recently, it is a background story/recap of a previous shooting that occurred in April. Simply wondering if there are any University Heights residents who would like to discuss the matter.

I'm not doing a story on the shootings that occurred recently, it is a background story/recap of a previous shooting that occurred in April. Simply wondering if there are any University Heights residents who would like to discuss the matter.

That really doesn't matter. Its the fact that you are coming here immediately after a tragedy to solicit sources for an article. You are in Auburn already (I assume), go walk the streets and talk to people if you want a story that badly. Again, IMO, this is not the time or the place for this.

well, one person is in custody now:

Justin Hokanson@JHokanson

RT @chambc1: In Montgomery, officers took into custody Jeremy Thomas of Montgomery he was a person of interest. Gave false info to police.

RT @chambc1: 18-year-old Jeremy Thomas was at the shooting Saturday night, he is facing hindering prosecution.

This really sickens me. Im sorry to hear about this incident. Prayers are sent for the families of the victims. Hopefully justice will be served for the guilty.

Well, the second person of interest has been arrested.....Free article here

AUBURN - The alleged shooter remains at large, but a second person of interest in the Saturday night shooting that left three dead and three wounded, has been arrested and charged with hindering prosecution.

7_530809.jpg

Murder suspect Desmonte Leonard

Jeremy Thomas, 18, of Montgomery has been charged with hindering prosecution. He allegedly fled with 22-year-old Desmonte Leonard, who faces three charges of capital murder, after the shootings University Heights apartments Saturday, Auburn police chief Tommy Dawson said.

Dawson said Leonard, also from Montgomery, is still thought to be in the Montgomery area.

Dawson said Thomas is being questioned by Auburn police officers. Police have also contacted a third individual who is believed to have been with Thomas and Leonard the night of the shooting.

Another Montgomery man was also arrested Sunday, according to police.

Gabriel Thomas, 41, was arrested without incident at his home in the 100 block of Grovewood Drive and charged with first-degree hindering prosecution,

Dawson said he was aware of Gabriel Thomas’ arrest, but he was unsure if Gabriel Thomas and Jeremy Thomas are related.

Gabriel Thomas was booked into the Montgomery County Detention Facility on $15,000 bail.

The FBI and U.S. Marshals Service have offered a $15,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Leonard, who Dawson said should be considered armed and extremely dangerous law enforcement say should be considered armed and dangerous. Police originally said they believed Leonard might be in the Montgomery area.

Well, the second person of interest has been arrested.....

Looks like they've served notice that harboring this particular fugitive, or any extension thereof, will not be tolerated.

Thanks to everyone who continues to post articles, and respective tweets. It is really helpful for us who live outside of the southeast media market-- it saves us from having to go to multiple sites to get information.

Thanks again & carry on.

I rarely post but I fail to understand how Vines is not somewhat to blame he admited to assaulting the shooter or his friends then he and his friends hit them with bottles. Idiot. Learn to de-escalate the situation.

The fight was between Desmonte Leonard/possible others and Demario Pitts/Turquorius Vines. Pitts was killed. Vines survived.

The football players LaDarious Phillips, Ed Christian, and Eric Mack were also killed/injured and John Robinson and Xavier Moss were also injured in the gunfire. Were they involved in the fight at all or just victim of being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

I really hope Desmonte Leonard and the other guys he was with are tracked down very soon.

Jeremy Thomas, one of the 'persons of interest' arrested for hindering prosecution, shot a 14 year old girl in the chest last year when he was 17.

http://blog.al.com/m...14-year-ol.html

From June 2011:

MONTGOMERY, Alabama-- Police have taken a 17-year-old boy into custody in connection with the death of 14-year-old girl who was gunned down in MontgomeryThursday evening.

Montgomery Police Department spokesperson Sgt. Donna Mackey confirmed that 17-year-old Jeremy Thomas was arrested and charged with murder early Friday morning. He remains in the Montgomery County Detention Facility under a $75,000 bond.

Police found the victim inside of a residence on Castle Ridge Road Thursday with a single gunshot wound to the chest. She was taken to Baptist South where she later died from her injuries.

The crime was Montgomery's second homicide this weekand 17th for the year.

Edited to clarify charge against him.

I rarely post but I fail to understand how Vines is not somewhat to blame he admited to assaulting the shooter or his friends then he and his friends hit them with bottles. Idiot. Learn to de-escalate the situation.

I absolutely agree. Vines is admitting to committing battery here yet isn't being at all questioned. Wonder how he is managing to avoid that....

http://www.al.com/sp...dering_pro.html

Another article on the 18 year old:

AUBURN, Alabama -- An 18-year-man arrested for hindering prosecution in the deadly shootings in Auburn on Saturday night is set to go to trial for manslaughter next Monday.

Auburn police arrested today Jeremy Shequille Thomas, who was indicted in April for manslaughter in the connection of shooting of a 14-year-old girl who died of a gunshot wound to her chest.

He was arrested for murder, but indicted for manslaughter.

Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson said Thomas faced a day of interrogation as police searched for Desmonte Leonard, who is accused of shooting six people at University Heights apartments near the Auburn campus Saturday night.

Thomas was of two "persons of interest" the Auburn police focused after the shootings. Two former Auburn football players and an Auburn resident were killed. Three others were wounded, including one in critical condition.

Thomas was free on $75,000 bond, but a motion to revoke that bond was made today in court. Before that, a motion was filed to grant Thomas youthful offender status.

The investigation into the Auburn shootings saw Montgomery police arrest Gabriel Thomas, 41, today on a charge of providing false information.

Former Auburn players Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips, both 20, and Auburn resident DeMario Pitts, also 20, were killed in the shooting. Current Auburn offensive lineman Eric Mack was released late Sunday afternoon from the East Alabama Medical Center in Opelika after suffering a gunshot wound in the buttocks. Xavier Moss was treated and released after the shooting.

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jiHY0D_yugI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A good read from Lars Anderson...

Auburn community shaken in wake of senseless weekend killings

AUBURN, Ala. -- The trucks and cars were lined 34 in a row on a quiet street in Auburn, Ala., on Sunday evening, only yards away from where the blood was shed. Television broadcasters put on makeup, holding mirrors close to their well-coifed heads, while other reporters paced back and forth, looking at the crime scene tape and trying to understand what had happened here only hours earlier.

This is what we know: At 10:03 p.m. on Saturday, police in Auburn received word that multiple gunshots had been fired at the University Heights apartment clubhouse, where a pool party was being held. Minutes later arriving officers found Edward Christian, 20, an Auburn football player who was off the team because of an injury, dead on the scene. Former Tiger player Ladarious Phillips, 20, and Demario Pitts, also 20, died later at a local hospital. Two other people, including current Auburn offensive lineman Eric Mack, 20, were taken to a hospital in Opelika, a nearby town. (Mack is expected to make a full recovery.)

According to reports, about 50 people were enjoying a carefree, relatively quiet night by the pool when an argument erupted over a woman. Words were exchanged and, minutes later, shots were fired. As of Monday morning, police were searching for Desmonte Leonard, 22, of Montgomery, Ala., who is charged with three counts of capital murder. Officials are offering a $15,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

After spending more than 12 hours in Auburn reporting on this tragedy -- talking to locals, police officers, hospital workers at a morgue, Tiger athletes -- it's clear this was nothing more than a senseless act of violence. This is not a story about a football program out of control or a narrative of players doing the wrong thing at the wrong hour. This is a tragic tale of someone having a gun -- someone who, according to police, was charged in 2008 with carrying a gun without a permit -- and using it with reckless and deadly abandon.

I'm based in Birmingham, and over the last three years I've spent a lot of time with Tiger coach Gene Chizik. His main pitch to recruits is that if they come to Auburn, they will be part of a tight-knit family. The notion of family flavors everything -- everything -- Chizik does at the school, from how he talks to players in his office to how he treats his assistants to how he'll often call a player's mother just to check in. With Chizik, a deeply religious man, the idea of family isn't merely lip service.

And so what transpired Saturday night shook the Auburn coach to his core. Chizik said he was "devastated" and labeled it a "sad, sad day for everyone associated with the Auburn family."

Late on Sunday afternoon, as a cold rain fell from the Southern sky, an Auburn fan stood across the street from where the killings had occurred. He had tears in his eyes. "Football is just so huge here and I don't think people in other parts of the country can grasp just what it means to our lives in Auburn," he said. "You never want this type of media coverage, but this was just a case of bloodlust and being stupid. People were killed and many, many lives were ruined for nothing. For nothing."

And then he kept walking, with his head down, through the rain.

http://sportsillustr...ings/index.html

HABOTN@HABOTN

The guys in the bulletproof vests don't appear to be in a hurry. Two ambulances arrived during the past 10 minutes.

RT @HABOTN: This may or may not be the suspect. I don't know. Once I saw an APD cruiser, I decided to share...

Archived