• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things like this make me wish I were still in law enforcement! Young men shot for no reason! Prayers go out to the victims families as they deal with their loss.

Oh and since I'm getting caught up on the news, Pete Thamel is a disturbing individual. That is all.

I'm searching, but can you post link to his article?

The shooting continues a trying period for Auburn’s athletic department off the field. In March, a Yahoo Sports report revealed that the FBI was investigating a former basketball player, Varez Ward, for shaving points during his college career. Auburn officials acknowledged that it had made a report to the F.B.I., but little has been said or reported on the case since.

Then in April, a former football player, Antonio Goodwin, was convicted of first-degree robbery. He was one of four men with ties to the Auburn football program who were arrested over the robbery, and the three others are said to face court dates soon. Mr. Goodwin’s trial included testimony that indicated guns and marijuana were part of the culture surrounding the Auburn football program.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/us/report-of-a-multiple-shooting-near-auburn-university.html

If I must...

The killings continue a troubled period for the Auburn athletic department. In March, a Yahoo Sports report revealed that the F.B.I. was investigating a former Auburn basketball player, Varez Ward, for potentially shaving points during his college career. Officials at the university acknowledged that it had reported to the F.B.I., but little has been said or reported on the case since.

In April, a former football player, Antonio Goodwin, was convicted of first-degree robbery for his role in an armed holdup.

Mr. Goodwin was one of four former Auburn football players arrested in connection with the robbery. The three other former players are scheduled to appear in court this month. Mr. Goodwin’s trial included testimony that made guns and marijuana appear to be a part of the culture around the Auburn football program.

http://www.nytimes.c...university.html

@BarrettSallee brings a rational voice...

The fact that @PeteThamelNYT and @mschwirtz would include point-shaving and last year's armed robbery in the Auburn story is also troubling

I don't know if @PeteThamelNYT & @mschwirtz want to smear Auburn; and frankly, don't care. Those items shouldn't be included in the AU story

Thamel was shown to be a fool when his allegations of grades being given to football players proved false and left him with egg all over his face. He's never gotten over that humiliation and as long as he's in journalism he'll spin every negative about Auburn that can be spun.

If I must...

The killings continue a troubled period for the Auburn athletic department. In March, a Yahoo Sports report revealed that the F.B.I. was investigating a former Auburn basketball player, Varez Ward, for potentially shaving points during his college career. Officials at the university acknowledged that it had reported to the F.B.I., but little has been said or reported on the case since.

In April, a former football player, Antonio Goodwin, was convicted of first-degree robbery for his role in an armed holdup.

Mr. Goodwin was one of four former Auburn football players arrested in connection with the robbery. The three other former players are scheduled to appear in court this month. Mr. Goodwin's trial included testimony that made guns and marijuana appear to be a part of the culture around the Auburn football program.

http://www.nytimes.c...university.html

Well, it looks like Kim Stevenson was actually the writer, and Thamel was contributor. Regardless, I sent her email telling her she should be ashamed of herself for including that in an article about the death of those young men. Useless hacks!!

This is what I don't understand. I mean, how do these guys NOT know that their life is over. Done. Over.

They know this. They know all kinds of stories about people who go to jail for LIFE for s*** like this. But amazingly, this knowledge isn't enough to override their need for keeping it real.

I don't get it. It's senseless. And I have NO idea why these guys do this crap. "You said something about my girl. I guess I the next logical step is to murder you and for me to go away for the rest of my life." I don't get it.

Well, there's a difference between knowledge and wisdom. I'm sure he knew what the consequences were, but he wasn't wise enough to keep his pride in check.

The real sad thing is this situation is looking more like the result of a justice system failure. The guy's record demonstrates that he's a societal threat, but he's beaten the system one way or another. Had he been locked up, last night would have ended differently.

Oh and since I'm getting caught up on the news, Pete Thamel is a disturbing individual. That is all.

I've got mixed feelings about those 2 paragraphs in Thamel's story. On the one hand they seem gratuitous. On the other, this is making a big news splash because football players were victims. That pulls the athletic department into the story which then makes those 2 paragraphs make sense. I'd be curious to hear what other journalists (perhaps not sports reporters) think. This may be a situation where what we want to hear as fans isn't the same as what is expected out of a journalist.

My degree is in Broadcasting and not Journalism but took several Journalism classes. Pete Thamel has very little idea of what real journalism is, as do many of today's "journalists."

Chris Low had a good write-up on ESPN.

Auburn is a tight-knit community, and I know there will be an outpouring of support for everybody involved. It's also a community that has shown its resiliency in the past.

All of us remotely connected to the SEC ache for what they're going through on the Plains right now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/61983/our-hearts-go-out-to-the-auburn-community

I've got mixed feelings about those 2 paragraphs in Thamel's story. On the one hand they seem gratuitous. On the other, this is making a big news splash because football players were victims. That pulls the athletic department into the story which then makes those 2 paragraphs make sense. I'd be curious to hear what other journalists (perhaps not sports reporters) think. This may be a situation where what we want to hear as fans isn't the same as what is expected out of a journalist.

My feelings aren't mixed. He's an oxygen thief.

Chris Low had a good write-up on ESPN.

Auburn is a tight-knit community, and I know there will be an outpouring of support for everybody involved. It's also a community that has shown its resiliency in the past.

All of us remotely connected to the SEC ache for what they're going through on the Plains right now.

http://espn.go.com/b...uburn-community

Glad ESPN took the high road.

I come from a law enforcement family... my thoughts are GET THE <insert expletive as you wish here> He not only took the Auburn Alumni football players but he also took some civilians as to what I understand. HE SHOT one of our players. HE SHOULD AND WILL be brought to justice. Auburn will rise above this as we always do. Keep watching his grammas house. She will talk him in. "he is a good boy ya know" gag.

I never understand this crap. When I was growing up, it seemed like this sort of thing involved a fistfight and then it was over. Now you look at the wrong guy sideways and they are liable to start spraying bullets. WTF is wrong with people? What did you just prove? Ok, so you're a badass to everyone at the party and you really showed those mofos who's boss. Congrats. Go to prison for life and enjoy being some 280 lb dude's sex toy. You really showed everyone. <_<

This is what I don't understand. I mean, how do these guys NOT know that their life is over. Done. Over.

They know this. They know all kinds of stories about people who go to jail for LIFE for s*** like this. But amazingly, this knowledge isn't enough to override their need for keeping it real.

I don't get it. It's senseless. And I have NO idea why these guys do this crap. "You said something about my girl. I guess I the next logical step is to murder you and for me to go away for the rest of my life." I don't get it.

Sister used to work for the DPD in a psychological position. Some of it involved working with teens, but most of her work involved men that battered women.

She hated working with the teens, especially those with gang ties, for the reason that they would tell her they would die before their twenties and anything after that was borrowed. They honestly believed it and accepted it, were not just bsing or trying to be hard. Truely believed they had zero future, noone in society cared, and didn't expect to make it out of their teens. These were not wannabe gangsters from the burbs, kids that have watched relatives gunned down in front of them, shot at people themselves and been shot at it. Was the pure hoplessness and belief of their own death that she couldn't stand. Some of them liked going to juvie and not for the street credit, they actually felt safer.

Nothing to live for man, not even dreams.

Prayers to all the victems, the families, and the AUfamily. Tragic day indeed when something like this comes to the plains. Hopefully justice will be served here on earth and the beyond.

Story is even making the local news casts here in Chicago.

Archived