Did university heights have a different name in the past? Is it the first complex after the closed video warehouse on longleaf?

University Heights was behind the old video warehouse but changed names & maybe management to The Exchange (may not be that anymore. It's been 2 years since I lived in Auburn) back in 2007/2008 I believe. That's when the current University Heights, where this incident happened, was built and opened.

The Exchange is going in the other direction down Longleaf Drive. This one is directly across from University Village. Right down from Walmart.

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A witness says there were as many as seven football players attended the event, which was moved into the clubhouse because of rain.

Witness says gunman blocked the exit door and was firing into the clubhouse crowd.

Witness didn't know gunman, said the gunman "had that Montgomery swag, so we all thought he was from Montgomery."

Witness says gunman got into altercation with an unidentified Auburn football player, initially pledged to keep it "one on one."

Witness described Montgomery Swag as "huge gold earrings" among other wardrobe choices.

@HABOTN

A University Heights resident confirmed the altercation was sparked when a victim was dancing with a girl, which angered the gunman.

The resident said the pool party was not sponsored by the apartment complex, and he estimated about 80 people were in attendance.

@AUBlog

Our daughter lives in the building next to the pool. She is alone there and terrified - and mostly concerned about the football players. Pray for all involved. This is second shooting in past month or so at the complex.

As a parent I feel for you. It has to be heartbreaking to not be able to get to your daughter. I will pray that God gives her peace right now.

About a month ago, Auburn PD tried to serve a search warrant at apartment in Bldg. 13. Occupants opened fire on police with AK 47 assualt rifles. This, too, was next door to our daughter's building. We are currently trying to get her out of there - permanently.

I hope it works out that you can do that. You should be able to get out of a lease after all this. If the apartment won't let you, I would contact a lawyer. Good luck

Auburn University president Jay Gogue "deeply saddened" by shooting, offers condolences to victims' families

@wareagleextra

AUBURN PRES. JAY GOGUE: “We’re deeply saddened about last night’s tragic events that impacted the Auburn community and the Auburn family."

"Our heart-felt condolences go out to the victims and their families. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers"-AU Pesident Jay Gogue

@wsfa12news

At least a dozen TV cameras and 30-40 media members waiting for start of press conference. Auburn mayor Bill Ham arrives, sits in audience.

@auburnbeat

9llc29.jpg

Photo via @HABOTN

It's a packed house here. Probably 15 cameras, 30 reporters. And its almost silent.

@AUBlog

COACH Gene Chizik

"This is a sad, sad day for everyone associated with the entire Auburn family. I am devastated by the passing of three young men, including two that I personally knew in Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips and my heart goes out to their families. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and all of the victims involved in this tragic incident. Nobody should ever have to endure such unimaginable grief, and we will love and support the victims' families during this terribly difficult time. We have a lot of people on our football team that are hurting right now and we're going to do everything we can to help them get through this. We are relieved that Eric Mack, who was also a victim in this incident, is expected to make a full recovery. This is a very trying time for everyone involved, and I would just ask that you lift up the victims and their families in your prayers."

DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS Jay Jacobs

"This is a tragic day for the entire Auburn community. First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families who have been devastated by this senseless tragedy. We will support the families of the victims in the difficult days ahead in every way that we possibly can. Our student-athletes are obviously stunned and deeply saddened, and we are providing counseling and support for them as they grieve the loss of their teammates and friends."

http://www.auburntig.../061012aaa.html

Photo of suspect, Desmonte Leonard, wanted by the AUPD in connection with last nights' shootings. Please share and contact 911 immediately if you know his where-a-bouts.

18870_100913419941885_3490822_n.jpg

Police Chief: "The only connection the Auburn football team has to do this is they are victims of a brutal shooting."

"I don't believe they were targeted .I don't like the word random when it comes to shooting. It was a fight that obviously got out of hand."

@auburnbeat

About a month ago, Auburn PD tried to serve a search warrant at apartment in Bldg. 13. Occupants opened fire on police with AK 47 assualt rifles. This, too, was next door to our daughter's building. We are currently trying to get her out of there - permanently.

Wow, this incident slipped right by me. I live nearby, keep up with local news and I never heard a word about this until your post. Seems like police getting fired on by assult rifles would have created some headlines, probably national headlines. ???

According to records, Desmonte Leonard has been charged with assault, theft in the past. Will get more details shortly.

@auburnbeat

Leonard was arrested in 09 for 2nd degree assault, in 08 for theft of property and carrying firearm without a license.

@HABOTN

Leonard's address listed in lawsuit filed Friday is Alder Point Drive in east Montgomery near Vaughn Rd and Eastern Blvd.

@auburnbeat

Desmonte Leonard's grandmother, contacted at the address listed on Leonard's child-support documents, says MPD made a visit this morning.

Grandmother claims Leonard doesn't live there, but address is from documents filed in November.

Leonard's grandmother: "I'm just very surprised by all of this. This is not the grandson I know, I can tell you that."

@HABOTN

Ok now that names are released, did anyone notice that one of the victims, Demario Pitts, happens to be the same name and age as the Demario Pitts that was accused of accidentally shooting and killing his cousin in March, a sophomore at auburn high? We've got some good people on this board who may be able to track this info down.

Archived