The State of Auburn Basketball

The Auburn men's recent 3 point win over Texas Pan-Am got me to thinking.  The fact that we struggled, AT HOME, to beat a 5 win team (who I had previously never heard of) is disturbing.  I think this shows a total lack of discipline, leadership, desire, and coaching.  It would have to be a lack in these areas that would allow Texas Pan-Am to compete with us because we definitely have more talent than them....right?

Then I started thinking about how Auburn's basketball program ranks among the others in the SEC.  The way I see it, over the last 4 or 5 years we have become one of the bottom 2 or 3 programs in the conference.  This may sound harsh, but it is hard to deny considering the following:

Florida won back-to-back NCAA championships recently

Kentucky is Kentucky, not to mention a tournament bid almost every year

Tennessee is obviously ahead of us as well, i think they were a 2 seed in the tourny last year, & reg season SEC champs

LSU had a final four appearance a in 2006, as well as made the tournment 3 of last 6 years

South Carolina's program has seen more success than us recently with 2 NIT championships (we dont even go NIT)

Vanderbilt's basketball program is fairly strong, sweet 16's in 2004 and 2007

Mississippi State has made the tournament 5 of the last 7 years.  More than we can say

Arkansas made the tournament the last 3 years straight,

Georgia won the SEC tournament last year.  Other than that there arent many bright spots for them, but i gotta think that puts them ahead of us over the past 4 or 5 years.

Ole Miss has gone to the NIT the last 2 years and won the SEC West in 2007

If you do the math, thats 10 teams in the conference who have a legitimate argument that their program has surpassed Auburn's in the past 5 years.  We havent been to the tournament since 2003.  We havent even managed a NIT birth in those years.  Not to mention we havent had a winning record in the SEC since 2003.  There is not much good to say about our program in the past half decade, and it is getting frustrating.  I think it starts with Lebo.  He has had his chance.  He hasnt produced the caliber of teams that Auburn fans deserve.  Teams that win more than they lose in the conference, teams that win more than they lose OVERALL, teams that get in the NIT every once in a while.

Its time to say "See ya Lebo....NEXT!"

I have to agree with you.  I think that Pan Am game really shocked me.  I had the feeling that we were on the way up this year, especially with playing UK so close.  I just do not see any improvement, and I think AU should do what UGA and UA have done this year and jettison the HC.

However, BB is not as big as football, and it seems it takes some sort of infraction to get the HC fired.  I just wish AU would improve it's BB program.  I find it harder and harder to get behind Lebo as this year progresses, (and the team regresses.)

:'(

New coach is going to be the only way to cure our ails in basketball.

Amen to that brother!

We need a new HC.  I can't stand behind Lebo anymore.

>:(

Archived