Auburn and the TOURNEY

guerra aguila

It can be done, maybe not likely, but it can be done. We have the athletic ability to play with anybody. I just think we lack good decision making, and lately it has started to sink in. Im going to be optimistic, but cautious because we have been here before, and we have blown it. If we can win the home games and get a couple on the road, as well as a couple of wins in the SEC Tourney, there is no reason why we cant make a case for a slot in the NCAA tourney also.

at 15-9 this is Lebo's best record to date, compared to this point at any season he has had at Auburn... Considering the recruiting class we have coming in next year, and the new arena, it would be a shame to see him fired so early.

90% of fans will disagree with me here, but I think its worth the shot to give him one more season.

I was wondering who you guys had in mind to replace him?

Im going out on a limb here, but I dont see many names out there that can do a better job...

please dont say bobby knight

If this season ends up being an improvement, I have no problem with him staying another year.  I just don't see it happening with his track record, and the way this season has already gone.  I don't know who we could get.  I don't know who is out there right now.  I know it will not be anyone like Knight, or Tubby Smith, or anyone else the UA people are hoping to get. 

Solid post, Guerra.  When they are on, they most definitely can play with absolutely anybody.  They played about as bad as you can last night in the first half and still hung in there to make it close.  Then, they came out in the second half, took care of business, and won handily.  The team just needs consistency.  If they are on board with Lebo, then they will play hard the rest of the year because they know his job is not safe at all.  They should play hard regardless, but that's just  extra incentive.  I still have to support Lebo because he is a good coach and a good man and he has some great guys on his staff.  They are bringing in the best class they have had next year and, from what I understand, the self imposed 5 year ban from relations with the AAU guy will be over in, I believe June.  So, being able to work with the AAU and hopefully winning will help recruiting tremendously.  Recruiting has been his biggest problem by far so if it gets better, then I believe he can be succesful here.

The biggest problem I see, is the free throw shooting.  There is just no excuse for not hitting a good percentage from the line.  Coach Lebo is going to have to work on that to completely win me over.  If we get to 18 wins, I say one more year

I have seen AU play twice this year. Once against Dayton in Chicago and once against Bama. 

Against a great Dayton team who out-hustles and out-defends everyone they play, AU had their hands really full.  They lost by one in OT, but UD was really bad that night too.  This game was not a reflection of how UD is, they are much more talented, as seen by this weeks win against Xavier, but was good to see us put up a fight against an NCAA Tournament team. 

The second game was against Bama and we played phenomenal.  We could have played against anyone that day and done well. 

Now, my question is are we an average team in a terrible conference this year, or do we really have a chance against some of the other teams that will not only be in the NCAA, but also the NIT?  I know the SEC is down this year, but the SEC always ends up being fairly strong come tournament time.  I hope we can compete with some of the better teams and can help us springboard our way into next year.  I hope this year was truly our rebuilding year and we can come out next year and really do well. 

How many games does Lebo need to win in order to keep his job for another year? I like Lebo but he just hasn't shown very much in his 5 years.

:we:

yeah they continue to give us a reason to believe. Of course I will always believe in Auburn no matter what, but a Tourny bid sure would to wonders for Lebo to keep his job, I want him to stay and I dont want him fired. Its not my decision, so I hope the players rally together and get this thing done for him, I really believe we are lucky to have him.

I try to keep things positive, yet in perspective.  I don't see the tourney in our future, my friends.  We have a ludicrous RPI rating and no signature wins (our best one is...over unranked Tennessee?)

I have to agree though that Lebo deserves one more year.  But with a short leash.  A string of wins toward the end of his 5th season can only go so far...

In RPI rankings, which are used to see who goes to the big dance, AU is #93.  If we win out, we may get an invite to the Not Invited Tournament.  I see that as progress, and would give Lebo another year. 

:dunno:

Well i can tell you one thing.....if we win atleast one game against LSU, beat MSU, Ole Miss and Alabama.....I def see Auburn as being one of the last four in the NCAA Tourney!! I most def think we HAVE TO win 4 out of the next 5, and make a run in the SEC tourney maybe 2 wins.

Well i can tell you one thing.....if we win atleast one game against LSU, beat MSU, Ole Miss and Alabama.....I def see Auburn as being one of the last four in the NCAA Tourney!! I most def think we HAVE TO win 4 out of the next 5, and make a run in the SEC tourney maybe 2 wins.

I would be very shocked to see that happen, but also pleasantly surprised.  I don't see a way for AU to up their RPI enough to get in, but stranger things have happened.

:wedance:

I don't think that we took a big step back. I actually think that they guys know that they can win out from Ole Miss Wed to LSU at home to end the season. This team has the potential of winning out and in the middle of this season I am just happy to be able to say that. I think Coach Lebo has finally found a rotation that works.

I don't believe we took a step back at all.  Those guys played one of the best games they have played all season in front of a very hostile greasy corndog crowd!  I believe that game helped boost their confidence even though they lost.  At the same time, though, you gotta look at the freethrows.  I really think we would have won with better freethrow shooting.  LSpoo is one of the best freethrow shooting teams in the nation.  They hit theirs and we didn't hit ours.  Besides that, I believe we outplayed them.  BTW, that may have been the worst officiated game I have ever heard.  Something needs to be done about the poor officiating in college basketball of late!

I second that about the refs.....the womens game yesterday might have been the worst officiated game I have EVER been to in my life. It was absolutely horrible to say the least

Win the SEC tourney I am afraid.  Check out the latest NIT predictions though. http://www.nitology.com/  AU is a 6 seed in their projections.  NIT would be a good step for this team.  Too bad we are losing some really good seniors.  Not because I don't think we will be even better next year, it is just these guys had to suffer for a long time without much to show for it.  They really need to be remembered with getting AU basketball back to where it is today not the last few years. 

Archived