My emails with Jerry Palm

BHDAU1

So I emailed Jerry Palm who has been writing Auburn off in the NCAA tourney in the media and heres what was said:

My email:

Mr. Palm,

While i respect your opinion on Auburn, I feel that you are incorrect on how they stack up in the SEC.  Many teams mature over the course of the season and Auburn certainly has. Dont you feel like weighing early losses so heavily you are ignoring what the team has turned into? They cant change who they are playing now, they can only beat whomever is put in front of them to prove their worthiness at this point.  They are doing just that.  after starting 2 and 5 in the SEC they have run off 7 wins and 1 loss in the month of Feb. If they beat LSU on Sat that extends that win streak to 8 of the last 9 games! That will also put Auburn at 10 wins in conference and 21 wins overall. I guess the real question is do you think that Auburn is the same team they were in December or even January? Do you not think that considering  how far a team has come during the season, and how they finish the last month prior to the NCAA tournament is relevant to what teams are selected to go to the big dance? I think that grading a team by what they did in the beginning of the season at this point is akin to assigning a final letter grade to a student based off of what they knew in the first month of a semster-long calculus class.  Just my 2 cents. I wish you would take the time to watch Auburn's last 8 games and compare them to the previous 8 and see what you think of them. They have developed intangibles that dont show up in the RPIs and this team plays as well together as any team in recent memory. Every minute they are on the floor they give 100% and play with a toughness that hasnt been seen in an Auburn team since 2003.  I think that is why you are getting so many questions about Auburn; if you watch them play they will make you a believer.

Jerry Palm's reply:

I have seen some of Auburn during this stretch. I guess I'm not overwhelmed.

Thats all he said back.  So I prodded some more.

My reply was this:

Mr Palm,

I can respect that. Thank you for taking the time to hear me out.  Your opinion sways others due to the respect you have.  I hope you are willing to keep an open mind towards your feelings on Auburn and if possible, watch them play LSU tommorow before writing them off as unworthy of the NCAA tourney.  If they are the team I think they are, they will beat LSU fairly soundly.

Jerry Palms reply:

"I think that would say as much about LSU as it does Auburn." 

Wow, this guy isnt going to even budge a little on Auburn.  I was surprised he even replied at all considering what he has said about Auburn and how they rightfully shouldnt be even on the bubble. He also said he cant check his emails or get a phone call without getting an Auburn question and there is "nothing to see, move on". If other share his opinion there isnt a chance in hell that AU gets in unless they win the tourney I guess.  What a shame.   

Wow, can't believe he responded.  Can't say I don't believe what he has to say.  He is a very good predictor of bubble teams, but I hope he is wrong in this regard.  If we are to be in the tourney we have to win the SEC, I never thought there was any other way.  Too many losses to too many bad teams.  Good luck tomorrow guys. 

Archived