It's the shark's fault!

CCTAU

If you don't want to be eaten by a shark, don't swim with him. I mean, these guys are over 20 feet in length. You will be their lunch if they are hungry.

Mercy Sought for Killer Shark in Australia

Mon Jul 12, 5:43 AM ET 

By MIKE CORDER, Associated Press Writer

SYDNEY, Australia - The death of a surfer mauled by a shark has rekindled debate over the safety of people swimming off Australia's world-renowned beaches but also the plight of sharks, some species of which are being hunted to the brink of extinction.

Bradley Adrian Smith, 29, died Saturday afternoon after being savaged in the Indian Ocean off Left Handers Beach, south of Western Australia state capital, Perth. Witnesses said Smith tried to fight off at least one and possibly two sharks, which officials said most likely were great whites, although they said they could also have been bronze whaler sharks.

Authorities Monday continued to hunt for the killer shark and said they would likely shoot it if they can conclusively prove they have found the animal responsible for Smith's death.

But the shark also found an unlikely ally — with the dead surfer's brother saying the animal should not be killed.

"I don't believe that the shark should be killed just for the sake of what's happened in this situation," Stephen Smith told reporters on Sunday. "I don't believe that Brad can be revenged by killing a shark."

In many parts of the world, great white sharks, which can grow to 23 feet in length, are listed as an endangered species. They breed at a slow rate and have in the past been targeted by hunters or accidentally caught in fishermen's nets.

Other smaller species of shark are being decimated by fishermen who hunt them for their fins — a delicacy in some Asian nations — cutting off the fin before dumping the animal back in the ocean to die.

Orin Lifshitz, head curator at the Aquarium of Western Australia in Perth, said hunting for and killing the shark would be not only difficult, but pointless.

"If you hunt him, so what? A day later another one cannot come and kill someone else?" he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

But while many conservationists appeal for sharks to be better protected from humans, authorities in beachside suburbs are more interested in ensuring swimmers are safe.

Many of Australia's most popular beaches are protected by giant nets intended to prevent humans and sharks swimming in the same water.

But even that apparently benign way of preventing attacks has fierce critics, who say the death toll such nets inflict on animals like whales and turtles is not justified given the rarity of shark attacks.

The death last year of an 84-year-old man killed while swimming in an Australian canal linked to the nearby Pacific Ocean was one of only four fatal shark attacks around the world in 2003, according to an international list compiled by Florida Museum of Natural History.

Kate Davey, national coordinator of the Australian Marine Conservation Society, said swimmers and surfers should be educated better about the threats posed by sharks.

"Instead of pretending that this issue doesn't exist, and saying put up nets and then we can protect everybody from sharks, what we actually need is a public education campaign to teach people how to live with sharks," Davey said.

Shark Food

Guest AuNuma1

Absolutely terrifying. I mean, even as a witness, to see a guy try to fight off a COUPLE of sharks...I'd be scared to take a shower after that!

Absolutely terrifying. I mean, even as a witness, to see a guy try to fight off a COUPLE of sharks...I'd be scared to take a shower after that!

Just think if the 2 sharks got into a fight over him.......

Guest AuNuma1

There's no reason to kill it.

Every single Great White shark in the ocean would eat you if it had the chance. Literally kill them all? Now, I'm no treehugger or anything but killing the shark because you swam in ocean with it? Nah...if there was a croc in an isolated pond or whatever that did something to somebody, then you'd have some new boots. ;)

This is not the shark's problem...I'm with CCTAU on this one.

It's a widely accepted theory that a person on a surf board looks like a seal or some other form of prey to a shark. Kill the shark for following it's instincts? Sharks are hunters. When they're hungry, they hunt.

I've heard people that fly into tropical islands say they never go into the water. They say when you fly in you can see the sharks swimming near the beach every single time.

:blink: Why go in the ocean when the bar is in the pool??????? :blink:

The only sharks at the bar are land-sharks, and you can see them coming a mile away... :P or even worse, smell their cologne a mile away... :lol:

I've heard people that fly into tropical islands say they never go into the water. They say when you fly in you can see the sharks swimming near the beach every single time.

Not just tropical islands. If you were to fly along the beach, Gulf Shores, AL or anywhere in Fla you will see enough sharks "patrolling" the shoreline that you would not want to go swimming. With the millions of people at the beach all summer, the only surprise to me is that there are not more shark attacks.

Guest AuNuma1
Not just tropical islands. If you were to fly along the beach, Gulf Shores, AL or anywhere in Fla you will see enough sharks "patrolling" the shoreline that you would not want to go swimming. With the millions of people at the beach all summer, the only surprise to me is that there are not more shark attacks.

Eh, more often it's going to be a porpoise and not a shark.

Although, I have talked to people that said they saw the same shark patrol the water in front of their condo around the same time of day (late afternoon) while they were on vacation in Gulf Shores.

Not just tropical islands.  If you were to fly along the beach, Gulf Shores, AL or anywhere in Fla you will see enough sharks "patrolling" the shoreline that you would not want to go swimming.  With the millions of people at the beach all summer, the only surprise to me is that there are not more shark attacks.

Eh, more often it's going to be a porpoise and not a shark.

Although, I have talked to people that said they saw the same shark patrol the water in front of their condo around the same time of day (late afternoon) while they were on vacation in Gulf Shores.

Ehhhh, I have flown along the coast Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama & Florida as well as Mexico and South America. I have also been scuba diving for years in the Gulf. I have seen plenty of sharks. I also know the difference in a shark and a porpoise. Don't think that there are not many, many sharks along the coast in the Gulf of Mexico. Don't be naive, they are there. It would be very unlikely to see a Great White in the Gulf of Mexico, but they could get there.

Guest AuNuma1

I'm not doubting the amount of sharks in the gulf. In 4 foot waters though you're unlikely to see a shark. I'm more worried about those nasty jellyfish. hmm.gif

I'm not doubting the amount of sharks in the gulf. In 4 foot waters though you're unlikely to see a shark. I'm more worried about those nasty jellyfish. hmm.gif

Jelly fish are nasty, but the little boy from Mississippi who was attacked at Pensacola beach (I think Pensacola) two years ago was only in four feet of water. :D

Archived