Computer Trouble

MDM4AU

I need help! My DSL (Bellsouth DSL Lite) keeps going offline. BellSouth keeps telling me they don't know what the problem is. According to them, my software and modem are up to date.

Could some other software be causing this? Could this be a problem with my Zone Alert or Adaware or McAfee?

What can I do? Every 2 hours or so, I have problems. I might as well have dial up because when this happens, I have to run a test on all my connections then refresh my connection status. It takes anywhere from 30 to 75 seconds to do all this. Not once has my computer, network, internet or mail server not "passed" when I "checked the status."

Bellsouth sux...get charter or comcast cable modem.. ;)

I wish i could help...i had the same problem a while back, but when ISP's service goes down their tech support is soooo worthless, its really hard to pinpoint the problem.

they walk you through the same tired stuff over and over again. Its like "make sure your computer is on"...thanks dillweed...what next?

they walk you through the same tired stuff over and over again. Its like "make sure your computer is on"...thanks dillweed...what next?

NOOOOO JOKE! :angry:

I've had a lot of problems with my charter cable connection. At least once a month my internet will go down. I had a bug on my computer recently that totally killed my internet connection. It actually shut off DHCP. If all else fails do an in place upgrade. If you still have your installation cd put it in and UPGRADE. If you do a fresh install you'll lose your files. This is what I had to do. It's kind of last resort but it works.

Well let us walk through the stupid stuff:

Do you have an alarm?

Do you have filters on all the phones?

How far are you from your CO?

If the above obvious items are not a causing the problem. Have Bellsouth come out to check the line. You might not have a straight shot to the CO or something is messed up or not wired right with the (I think) local loop between you and the CO.

Bellsouth will know what to do.

Go to www.dslreports.com if you haven't already

Enjoy and let the run through the script and be nice then you will get good service, worked for me

Well let us walk through the stupid stuff:

Do you have an alarm?

Do you have filters on all the phones?

How far are you from your CO?

If the above obvious items are not a causing the problem. Have Bellsouth come out to check the line. You might not have a straight shot to the CO or something is messed up or not wired right with the (I think) local loop between you and the CO.

Bellsouth will know what to do.

Go to www.dslreports.com if you haven't already

Enjoy and let the run through the script and be nice then you will get good service, worked for me

No

Yes

I am somewhat computer illiterate. I know just enough to get me in trouble most of the time. What is my CO?

I have a hub, and I plug my work laptop into it when I work from home. I never have a problem with the laptop, so I really think it may just be something with my PC.

Having worked in "customer service" in one wy or another all my life, I am always nice to those reps. Especially when it comes to computers! It never pays to be a jackass to customer service reps.

Do you leave your computer on all the time, and if so, does it go into "sleep mode" or "standby" when it's idle? I used to have all kinds of problems when I had a Windows machine. I finally solved a lot of it by disabling the sleep mode thing.

CO is the Central Office switch building...Those little buildings with your phone companies name on it. For DSL, there is a maximum distance from the CO for the DSL line to work.

sleep / stand-by / hyberbate, etc have all been disabled. I have a screen saver active but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Archived