JUCO player wants out???

AuburnGrad97

Rivals is reporting Anthony Salter, a JUCO guard that signed in November, is asking for a release from Auburn.  I'm not familiar with this guy.  Can someone shed some light on what the article says, and if this is a devastating loss to our program?  Thanks.

It's an academic thing. He can't get into Auburn without taking an extra math class this summer. He is going to try to go somewhere where that class is not required so that he can enroll in June. Says it has nothing to do with Barbee and had requested it before the hire. He's a solid prospect, but opening up a JUCO spot for a talented high school guy who fits Barbee's plan wouldn't be such a bad thing. We will have to replace Reed at the point next year though, so that could be a challenge.

It's an academic thing. He can't get into Auburn without taking an extra math class this summer. He is going to try to go somewhere where that class is not required so that he can enroll in June. Says it has nothing to do with Barbee and had requested it before the hire. He's a solid prospect, but opening up a JUCO spot for a talented high school guy who fits Barbee's plan wouldn't be such a bad thing. We will have to replace Reed at the point next year though, so that could be a challenge.

Thanks for the info.  Glad to hear it wasn't due to the hire, because I think we got a great coach coming in.  I agree that we need to have a spot or two open for Coach Barbee to bring some height to the Plains.  War Eagle!!!

Frankie and Wallace, I'm not worried AT ALL about point next season

I love Frankie, but I like him more at the two. Wallace is a great ball handler and defender, but not much as a shooter or penetrator. I'd like to at least have one more offensive option at the point. We won't be in huge trouble without one, but it would be nice to have one to develop for the future.

Thanks for the info. I didn't even have to go check.  :thumbsup: You Da Man!  :wedance:

I got this from somebody on the Scout site and it seems to back up what ST said earlier about a big time recruit.

sweetwaterBlue Member

717 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate | ReportPosted: Today 9:32 PM

Barbee bringing some new recruits with him...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friend of mine showed me a post from a guy on another site who called the Barbee hire way before others and claiming it was done deal.  He seems pretty connected somehow when it comes to Barbee.  Here's one thing he had to say (just passing along what I read).

------------------

He will bring in a top big man who is in prep school right now. Will be a freshman next year. Major stud.

-- There will also be a transfer of a stud point guard from a top school due to the home medical issue transfer rule. He will be immediately available as a sophomore.

-- Barbee will bring his top southern recruiting assistant. Huge ties to Memphis in particular and the south in general. We will get some top players to come to AU with Barbee and this asst.

-- He will look at current team and see who he wants to keep and who needs/wants to leave.

-- He will do the same for the incoming recruiting class. There WILL be some changes.

Barbee will come to AU on Thurs and then he has a signed a deal to work with CBS for the next few days during the tourny. So Auburn will get some TV time due to this as well.

He is very excited and is on cloud nine. He truely feels that he can do great things at AU.

This is all first hand info.

Another guy that post on the Scout site that has had inside info about the basketball program before says the big time PG rumored to be transfering is Eric Bledsoe. I have no idea if any of it is true but Eric Bledsoe would more than make up for the loss of Salter.

Another guy that post on the Scout site that has had inside info about the basketball program before says the big time PG rumored to be transfering is Eric Bledsoe. I have no idea if any of it is true but Eric Bledsoe would more than make up for the loss of Salter.

I cant see Bledsoe transferring to us. One more year at kentucky and he can go pro. but itd be great to see

According to the poster Bledsoe has been told by Scouts he needs another year in college playing PG before he is ready for the NBA. UK has the number #1 ranked PG in the country coming in next year and Bledsoe is questioning if he will get the minutes he needs to impress scouts. Like I said it's just an internet rumor but he has the talent to make Auburn a contender next year.

It was stated sometime earlier on this site that Salter is the #1 JUCO point guard in the country. I don't see him asking out as a positive thing, but if he doesn't want to be at Auburn, don't let the door, etc. etc.

Coach Barbee definitely has the interest going again for our bball program. I am glad to see so much excitement about it. There is no reason we can't compete in every sport at Auburn. We have the facilities and the money you need to compete.

Coach Barbee definitely has the interest going again for our bball program. I am glad to see so much excitement about it. There is no reason we can't compete in every sport at Auburn. We have the facilities and the money you need to compete.

You can say that again.  My interest just jumped up 5000%

Huh? Look, I would go numb if Bledsoe transferred to Auburn. That would be freakin' AWESOME!! But it doesn't even make sense. Bledsoe starts for Kentucky at the 2-guard spot. And if he stays in school like some are suggesting, he will start again next year at the 2-guard spot. To say that I would be incredibly shocked if Bledsoe transferred to Auburn is an understatement. Also, even if Bledsoe really was going to transfer, couldn't Kentucky make it where he could transfer anywhere but within the conference? Just wondering. Man, the life breathed into a basketball program that was dead this time a couple of weeks ago is insane! And I love it!

I know I would be pumped about getting a skilled big man, but this Bledsoe thing I'll believe it when I see it. Although that would make me go crazy. :thumbsup:

I guarentee you he is already working on getting us a good big man...or two.  :)

Huh? Look, I would go numb if Bledsoe transferred to Auburn. That would be freakin' AWESOME!! But it doesn't even make sense. Bledsoe starts for Kentucky at the 2-guard spot. And if he stays in school like some are suggesting, he will start again next year at the 2-guard spot. To say that I would be incredibly shocked if Bledsoe transferred to Auburn is an understatement. Also, even if Bledsoe really was going to transfer, couldn't Kentucky make it where he could transfer anywhere but within the conference? Just wondering. Man, the life breathed into a basketball program that was dead this time a couple of weeks ago is insane! And I love it!

They probably would make it as difficult as possible for him to transfer to AU and I don't blame them. We would do the same thing, and rightfully so. I agree with you.

I am so glad JJ went and pulled the trigger and hired Barbee. For the last few seasons, when football ended....(and not a moment too soon in 08), I just waited to see if AU basketball could amount to anything. Last year was great, but this season it was back to the same old, same old. All I know  about Barbee is what I have read, but I add, I like what I have read and he has defenitly put some REAL Excitement in AU hoops.

:believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe:

I am so glad JJ went and pulled the trigger and hired Barbee. For the last few seasons, when football ended....(and not a moment too soon in 08), I just waited to see if AU basketball could amount to anything. Last year was great, but this season it was back to the same old, same old. All I know  about Barbee is what I have read, but I add, I like what I have read and he has defenitly put some REAL Excitement in AU hoops.

:believe: :believe: :believe: :believe: :believe:

I am so glad Barbee chose us.  He would have had other offers from traditionally big-time bball schools.  Never thought he would come but dang glad he did.  WDE and welcome to the family Coach Barbee!!

I got this from somebody on the Scout site and it seems to back up what ST said earlier about a big time recruit.

sweetwaterBlue Member

717 posts this site

Ignore this Member

Nominate | ReportPosted: Today 9:32 PM

Barbee bringing some new recruits with him...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friend of mine showed me a post from a guy on another site who called the Barbee hire way before others and claiming it was done deal.  He seems pretty connected somehow when it comes to Barbee.  Here's one thing he had to say (just passing along what I read).

------------------

He will bring in a top big man who is in prep school right now. Will be a freshman next year. Major stud.

-- There will also be a transfer of a stud point guard from a top school due to the home medical issue transfer rule. He will be immediately available as a sophomore.

-- Barbee will bring his top southern recruiting assistant. Huge ties to Memphis in particular and the south in general. We will get some top players to come to AU with Barbee and this asst.

-- He will look at current team and see who he wants to keep and who needs/wants to leave.

-- He will do the same for the incoming recruiting class. There WILL be some changes.

Barbee will come to AU on Thurs and then he has a signed a deal to work with CBS for the next few days during the tourny. So Auburn will get some TV time due to this as well.

He is very excited and is on cloud nine. He truely feels that he can do great things at AU.

This is all first hand info.

Just to let ya'll know, this guy really is well connected in this situation and knows what he speaks of.

Bledsoe is projected to be the 14th pick in the upcoming draft.  Dream in another direction.

It was stated sometime earlier on this site that Salter is the #1 JUCO point guard in the country. I don't see him asking out as a positive thing, but if he doesn't want to be at Auburn, don't let the door, etc. etc.

As someone stated; it may be an academic situation. If so then I don`t see as negative since it going to happen anyway. If it is another reason then I might think otherwise.

As someone stated; it may be an academic situation. If so then I don`t see as negative since it going to happen anyway. If it is another reason then I might think otherwise.

I heard from someone very close to the situation last night.  They said it truly is an academic situation and would have happened regardless.  They also had great things to say about Anthony.  They said he's a great kid and is just trying to do what's best for himself.  I wish him luck.

Archived