Our D & pitching has been inconsistent all year

We were prepared like a Coastal Carolina team, not an Auburn team. If we were overconfident the question is why ? We knew bama had good pitching and we still were not mentally prepared on D. What a wake up call.

When our "O" is kept in check we lack the fundamentals to hang with a team fielding good pitchers.

If we get eliminated tomorrow the SEC West title becomes very hollow.

We are lucky to have a shot at redemption. Make the most of it guys. 

War Eagle !

Coach Pawlowski needs to do better job in getting our guys mentally prepared and not allow them to become overconfident. This game was sick to watch.

We got a great start from Luckie and we didn't have any errors today. We played a good defensive game but the batters never got going. The defense or pitching didn't cost us the game this morning.

We got a great start from Luckie and we didn't have any errors today. We played a good defensive game but the batters never got going. The defense or pitching didn't cost us the game this morning.

Exactly, our defense didnt lose us this game, hitting did. If they were hitting the average amount of runs for a game (9), we would have won. Sure the pitching wasnt spectacular but honestly who expected it to be. And when two outfielder make AMAZING catches back to back you cant really complain about defense

There seems to be a theme developing today.  The top three teams lost their opening games.  It will be interesting to see how things go tomorrow. :wedance:

We had one very costly error, the booted grounder at second base that should have been a double play ball. Two runs scored because of that, and two was enough to beat us.

The pitching gave up five and two to the error, which totals their seven and is about what I've come to expect us to give up.

Bunting twice in the second inning produced a run, but it also gave up two outs. Early in the game with our leadoff guy hitting a double, I like our chances of hitting him in and having a big inning. (Mummey did hit another double after the two bunts so the bunts were wasted opportunities). We need big innings and big innings don't come when you make .370 hitters sacrifice bunt.

Late in the game if it's close and one run is important, sure do what you can to get one run. But we need to score around 10 to have a good chance to win. You score 10 by having big innings, and you don't usually have a big inning when you trade an out for a base with a bunt.

What game where you guys watching? In the 3rd inning when we were winning 1 out runner on first.........ground ball to second base double play to end the inning..........oh no it goes off his glove into right field. 2 batters later it was 2-1 on a single to left. We ended the game with either 2 or 3 errors. Granted that didn't really lose us the game because we gave up runs late. Still you can't have those type of mistakes at this point of the season. You will find yourself sitting at home in a hurry.

Today our boys were better prepared to fight it out and showed a great deal of character. Pride was obviously on the line as well. This was like a heavy weight fight that just would not end. I hope we have enough left in the tank to take this next game. Yesterday's wake up smack down and today's heavy weight fight should prevent even our most confident player from being overconfident  from here on out. If we are not physically beat, I think our mental state will be as tough as nails after today. 

War Eagle !

I hope Mummey and Fletcher are good to go tomorrow. With everybody's ace pitchers out of the way we should be back in our element.

We were prepared like a Coastal Carolina team, not an Auburn team. If we were overconfident the question is why ? We knew bama had good pitching and we still were not mentally prepared on D. What a wake up call.

When our "O" is kept in check we lack the fundamentals to hang with a team fielding good pitchers.

War Eagle !

WOW.....just WOW.  First, Coach Paw came from College of Charleston.  Second, in his second year, he won the SEC west regular season title and we have a shot to make a run.  So, nothing is hollow about what we've done this year.  We've made great progress and I'm jacked to have Paw as our coach. 

War Eagle !

WOW.....just WOW.  First, Coach Paw came from College of Charleston.  Second, in his second year, he won the SEC west regular season title and we have a shot to make a run.  So, nothing is hollow about what we've done this year.  We've made great progress and I'm jacked to have Paw as our coach. 

I think he meant Coastal Carolina. They are like 3 in the nation right now. That's why he followed it up with the overconfident part. I may be wrong but when I read it the first time that's the way I took it. As far as the part about going two and out making our West Division Championship hollow...... I would agree with him to a point. We haven't been a team on the national scene in a while. So someone on the outside looking in like the people who make the decision on who host regionals could look at it like it was a fluke that we won our division. If another team around the country would have done the same thing I would have probably felt the same about them as well. On the other hand I agree with you about it not being hollow as far as we are concerned as a program. We have made massive strides this year and I'm impressed with what we have do and I believe we will continue to do. War Eagle!!

I'm not trying to be mean, and maybe it's because I'm an old salt, but you guys don't seem to know a lot about baseball. Good pitching usually trumps good hitting. Auburn had to play at nine in the morning against a red hot pitcher who pitched his third complete game in a row. We played in a bigger ballpark. We played in the morning. We played against a red hot pitcher. There is NOTHING the coach could have done. This Auburn team has not been in the tournament before. No one on the team has tournament experience. They have been a bit uptight. Again, nothing the coach could have done. Our coach has done an incredible job with this team. We need to get off his back and come back to reality. I think our bats will heat up as we play on. With a bit of luck we can go deep in this tournament, and maybe win it. The coach has kept a level head and the team is learning how to compete and win. This experience will help us in the regional.

Last night:

5 errors

3 hit batters

1 wild pitch with runners on base

1 AU runner picked off

14 AU batters strike out, many on called third strikes.

^^^Recipe for disaster^^^

As previously noted by others, this team is an incredible hitting team and they are (usually) fun to watch. It's not the kind of team that goes very far in a tournament.

I really don't think this is Coach Pawlowski's kind of team. I've been watching all year and I think he'd prefer good pitching and defense and playing some small ball to win 4-2.

To his credit, he's played the hand that was dealt to him and won a bunch of games. I think as he gets his type of players in place we'll be winning big year after year, but it won't come from having to outscore people 12-9.

War Eagle !

Last time I checked Coastal Carolina was  a top five team! :o

War Eagle !

Last time I checked Coastal Carolina was  a top five team! :o

he didn't come from Coastal Carolina

Archived