Understanding Soccer

macus23

I never played soccer growing up so I know very little about the sport.  Since the WC is going on and its the most popular sport on the planet, I want to get into a little more.

So, for you soccer folks I have 3 questions to start off with (and possibly more in the future).

1. I understand why off-sides is called.  My question is what is to prevent the defenders from just stopping while covering someone down field?  I know there must be a reason they can't, but I need help there.

2. I recorded the USA/England match the other day, but I found myself fast forwarding through a lot of it and looking for the scoring plays.  What else can I watch for or be looking at between scores? 

3. I know no one wants to explain an entire sport to anyone, so are there any good references or ways to learn that you could recommend?

Thanks.

I can't answer #1 for you.

#2. You gotta be patient. Its like watching baseball. There's always intensity within game whether its two players going back and forth at each other, battling for possession and ball control, or making a fast break to try and get a shot.

#3. http://expertfootball.com/training/boring.php << This should help  :thumbsup:

I never played soccer growing up so I know very little about the sport.  Since the WC is going on and its the most popular sport on the planet, I want to get into a little more.

So, for you soccer folks I have 3 questions to start off with (and possibly more in the future).

1. I understand why off-sides is called.  My question is what is to prevent the defenders from just stopping while covering someone down field?  I know there must be a reason they can't, but I need help there.

2. I recorded the USA/England match the other day, but I found myself fast forwarding through a lot of it and looking for the scoring plays.  What else can I watch for or be looking at between scores? 

3. I know no one wants to explain an entire sport to anyone, so are there any good references or ways to learn that you could recommend?

Thanks.

1. First off just FYI, no matter where the last defender is, as long as an attacker is on their side of midfield, they arent offside. That's why defenders rarely cross the midline. Ok now to your question, it's too much of a risk to leave the attacker. When the defender is marking an attacker, many times they do not know the exact position of the ball and whether it's been played somewhere else yet. Also, sometimes they do not know if they are the last defender or if there is another defender that's deeper than they are. So if they just leave the attacker, 60% of the time yes he'll be offside. But 40% of the time, either the ball was already played through or another defender held him onside, which would almost always lead to a goal. As you can tell, goals are hard to come by, you need to work very hard for them, and you need a little luck. So it's safer just to stay with the attacker and not risk leaving him one-on-one with the keeper, hoping the ref calls him offside. Hope i explained it well enough

2. Westie covered

3. Westie covered

Hope i explained it well enough

Absolutely!  I didn't know that offsides couldn't be called on their side of midfield.  I've heard announcers talk about an "offsides trap", so that led me to believe that the defenders did something to make them pass it offsides.

OK, Great!  Another question:

Are there some key positions I need to pay more attention to?  I keep hearing about the "sweeper".  He's the last defender before the goalie right?  Who else should I watch?

(btw guys, if you get tired of all the questions just stop responding.  I don't get offended very easily)

Thanks!

Hope i explained it well enough

Absolutely! I didn't know that offsides couldn't be called on their side of midfield. I've heard announcers talk about an "offsides trap", so that led me to believe that the defenders did something to make them pass it offsides.

OK, Great! Another question:

Are there some key positions I need to pay more attention to? I keep hearing about the "sweeper". He's the last defender before the goalie right? Who else should I watch?

(btw guys, if you get tired of all the questions just stop responding. I don't get offended very easily)

Thanks!

Yeah the sweeper is the last defender, he's usually the leader of the defense and tells the D when to move up and fall back and where to shift etc.

If youre talking about overall key positions, not referring to the offsides thing, then you should pay attention to the sweeper, center midfield, and the best attacker. I just explained the sweeper.

As for the center midfielders, it's usually two players, and they orchestrate everything except the defense. They receive the ball, keep possession, and find the best option whether its playing it forward, playing it back, or sending it outside. Alot of times, the winning team dictates the midfield better, which is why the center midfielder is so important. Examples are England: Steven Gerrard, USA: Michael Bradley, Brazil: Kaka

As for the best attacker, I didnt really give a position because they usually dont stay in one place, but theyre usually either strikers or outside midfielders. I probably dont have to tell you to pay attention to them because they are the most exciting players on the field. Everytime they touch the ball, they play with a fast pace and get the ball forward, either looking to beat the defenders and score or set another player up for a goal. Players like this include Argentina: Messi, Portugal: Cristiano Ronaldo, England: Wayne Rooney

Thanks to both of you.

AMM that was pretty detailed so I appreciate the patience.  That gives me a lot more to watch for.

As far as football, baseball, and basketball goes, I can talk and explain those all day.  I played all through school.  While I was in college I officiated high school games for all 3 sports.  Did that for 5 years.

Now I'm trying to get into this.  Thanks again.

Thanks to both of you.

AMM that was pretty detailed so I appreciate the patience.  That gives me a lot more to watch for.

As far as football, baseball, and basketball goes, I can talk and explain those all day.  I played all through school.  While I was in college I officiated high school games for all 3 sports.  Did that for 5 years.

Now I'm trying to get into this.  Thanks again.

It's a great sport, and I commend you for trying to get into it.  The best thing to do is look for primers on the internet that explain a lot of the basics of the game, and then just watch as much as you can of the World Cup.  It is about the most exciting futbol that you can see.  I think as has already been explained, (very well I might add), look at the games within the game.  How the defense responds.  How the midfielders work the transition game.  How the attack is set up.  In no time you will be buying a futbol jersey and blowing a vuvuzela!

;D

In no time you will be buying a futbol jersey and blowing a vuvuzela!

;D

I need a vuvuzela for the neighbor's dog.

So I was watching some of the Brazil/Korea match.  I didn't get to see all of it bc a storm knocked out my directv, but it seemed like Brazil had possession on Korea's side of midfield the whole time.  It looked like Korea didn't even want to go on the offensive, they were content to play defense. 

Is this a normal strategy against a team that has great attackers?  Or is it another reason?

AMM, I actually played most of my childhood and all through high school. However, that was 10 years ago and there has been a large decline in interest for me. I've forgotten a LOT! A couple ??s I have myself:

1. I realize there's a HUGE difference in high school ball and playing professionally. I remember there being different defensive setups. I played sweeper myself but seem to recall other teams setting up without a sweeper, rather a couple fullbacks and a roamer in the midfield. Can this setup be effective? And do any professional and/or national teams use this? Or is there always a sweeper.

2. Less of a question, but an observation. We tended to keep to the outside prodominately to our wings as for ball control and play setups. Maybe this is a reason we lost some games we did? Maybe its a reason we won some?

Have you ever played in or against these alternate styles of offense and defense? What were the outcomes?

AMM, I actually played most of my childhood and all through high school. However, that was 10 years ago and there has been a large decline in interest for me. I've forgotten a LOT! A couple ??s I have myself:

1. I realize there's a HUGE difference in high school ball and playing professionally. I remember there being different defensive setups. I played sweeper myself but seem to recall other teams setting up without a sweeper, rather a couple fullbacks and a roamer in the midfield. Can this setup be effective? And do any professional and/or national teams use this? Or is there always a sweeper.

2. Less of a question, but an observation. We tended to keep to the outside prodominately to our wings as for ball control and play setups. Maybe this is a reason we lost some games we did? Maybe its a reason we won some?

Have you ever played in or against these alternate styles of offense and defense? What were the outcomes?

This Website should help you my friend

http://www.soccerhelp.com/Soccer_Formation_Basics.shtml

run, kick, run more, kick, run more, kick, run more, hit the ball with your head for some reason, run more, etc. 

:dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:  :dunno:

run, kick, run more, kick, run more, kick, run more, hit the ball with your head for some reason, run more, etc. 

:dunno:   :dunno:   :dunno:   :dunno:

That's all I see and all I hear is the mexican announcers screaming for whatever reason.

:dunno:   :dunno:   :dunno:   :dunno:

That's all I see and all I hear is the mexican announcers screaming for whatever reason.

Their European!  :laugh: :laugh:

1. Yeah, there are many teams that dont use a sweeper, and it can be really effective. The main two defensive formations are a) two outside backs, a stopper (plays in the center), and a sweeper who plays behind the stopper...and B) a flat four with two outside backs and two center backs. Alot of teams use a defensive center midfielder (roamer) in either formation, it just depends the style the coach prefers. Either way can be equally effective as long as all 4 defenders are on the same page and are supporting and covering for each other

2. It really just depends where your strengths are. For examples of two different attacking styles, ill describe two teams we played this year. First, we played Gulf Shores in the regular season. Their strong points were speed and athleticism. Both of their outside midfielders were BLAZING fast, and their two strikers were both on the basketball team. Their gameplan was kick the ball long to their blazing outside mids, and they would cross it in to the athletic forwards, trying to win headers and get shots on goal. They beat us 4-3 because we couldnt beat their forwards in the air. Another team we played was LAMP in the playoffs. They were completely different attacking. They had two outstanding center midfielders, who controlled the game very well, and their two forwards werent amazing athletes, but they had good footwork and were very smart players. They would try to control the ball in the center with their center mids, and try to play through balls on the ground to their forwards. Like i said, their forwards were smart and knew when to time their runs and where to make runs. This worked very well, but our sweeper and our goalkeeper played outstanding and we won 2-1, giving them their first loss of the season (they were 24-0).

Something to look for when you watch the USA is the outside backs, especially Cherundolo. He is excellent at making making attacking runs and putting in quality crosses. Against England he was doing so well their coach made a switch only 30 min into the game.(There are rumors of him going to AS Roma next year which would be huge)

Also watch Mike Bradley in the midfield. Although he is the coach's son, he has a tenacity about him that is fun to observe. He is pretty smart with the ball as well, making smart, manageable passes instead of the long balls the US is accostumed to.

So I just watched both matches this morning.  Apparently both matches made a bit of history.

Chile's first win at the WC, and Spain goes down to the Swiss.

Its much better watching it now that I don't just fast forward thru the game like I used to.  The build up to the goals can get intense.  And the build up to the final minute gets intense too, especially when a favorite like Spain is trying to come from behind.

So this Spain loss, is it similar to Michigan losing to App State???

So I just watched both matches this morning.  Apparently both matches made a bit of history.

Chile's first win at the WC, and Spain goes down to the Swiss.

Its much better watching it now that I don't just fast forward thru the game like I used to.  The build up to the goals can get intense.  And the build up to the final minute gets intense too, especially when a favorite like Spain is trying to come from behind.

So this Spain loss, is it similar to Michigan losing to App State???

Very similar. That was Spain's second loss in the last 50 games, and theyre favored to win the WC. Huge upset

I'm pretty glad I decided to watch the WC this year.  Seems like a lot of history is being made.

I just watched FRA and MEX.  The last 30 minutes was pretty entertaining.

OK now for my question.  One of the French players attempted a sliding tackle that resulted in a penalty kick.  I understand that because of where it occurred was the reason for the penalty.  But why was it a foul?  Because contact was made?  It seems like contact will always be made attempting this maneuver, therefore always resulting in a foul.

I didn't see the penalty nor any of the match because I was at work, so I have to ask, was contact made before or after the ball. Generally, as long as you get all ball, there will be no penalty and more often than not, if you get to the ball 1st, then contact was made, they will not call it. Basically, if an attacker is dribbling upfield, and the next time he puts his foot forward for the next dribble, this is the best time to go for the tackle because the guy is already in motion so he will have less control in mid-stride. So if you jam the ball on his next dribble, he will most definitely trip up, but there's no foul as long as its all ball. You can actually jam the ball as hard as you can, breaking the guys leg as his momentum collides with your strike, and this wouldn't be a penalty. Not that I condone this. Again though, not sure if I answereed your question because I didn't see the play.

Archived