Tate's Knee

jonathon

People are saying that Ben Tate blew out his knee tonight and will miss the entire season. I did not see it happen and haven't heard anything. Anyone know about it?

Reported by CBS42 in Bham, it is a high ankle sprain.  No word on how long he will be out. 

as bad as I hate to hear this, this is MUCH better than an ACL tear.  We all know that ankle sprains can put a RB down and out for a while, but hopefully he'll be up in tip-top form close to the season's kickoff. 

Reported by CBS42 in Bham, it is a high ankle sprain.  No word on how long he will be out. 

as bad as I hate to hear this, this is MUCH better than an ACL tear.  We all know that ankle sprains can put a RB down and out for a while, but hopefully he'll be up in tip-top form close to the season's kickoff. 

Man, that's better news, but that's what Omac had last year.  Still will keep him out for awhile.

yea, but relative to an acl tear, a rolled ankle is a blessing.  I'm not sure why OMac was held up by his all season long.  Some people can get 100% from an ankle spraign in 2-3 weeks.  Guess its all about how severe it is.

What is the difference between a "high" ankle sprain and a normal ankle sprain? I know the high ankle sprain is more severe, but why? WDE Ben, get well bro!

I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.  A high ankle sprain is not actually around the ankle.  The ligaments that attach the tibia to the fibula above the ankle are sprained.  This is usually caused by a twisting motion.  As long as they stay attached to the bones the recovery is easier.  If one is torn and the bones don't move together then surgery is required.   

JHokanson

RT @McClain_on_NFL: I think RB Ben Tate, the second-round pick from Auburn, is done for the year with a broken ankle. We'll find out Sunday.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/nfl_news.cfm?news_id=1888

Early in the third quarter, Houston Texans rookie running back Ben Tate went down with an ankle injury. Tate stayed down however and had to be carted off the field. This news hasn't been confirmed by the team, but there are reporters in Houston who are saying that Tate suffered a broken ankle and is out for the season. After a 2009 season where the Texans had instability at the position, the drafting of Tate was supposed to help give them a little more talent at the position. And with that, give them a better and reliable running game to go with one of the best passing attacks in the game. Without Tate, that might not be possible.

Oops..Mods feel free to merge this thread with the other one

A4e has got it right. A high ankle sprain is a misnomer. It actually involves the ligament that connect the tibia and fibula. A normal ankle sprain involves one of the ligaments that connects bones of the ankle. A normal ankle sprain can be back to normal in 1-3 weeks as long as it is not very serious. A high ankle sprain however, takes much longer to heal. Even after it is healed, it'll take a while to get back to 100%. It is a very lingering injury

Let me say this as I am staying in Phoenix this week and saw it when it happened. I thought there was NO WAY it's NOT his knee by the way he acted when he got hurt. However, since there was no real impact to his leg other than hitting the turf, the high ankle sprain does make more sense. They never did come back and say what the issue was. I will also say this, if it is an ankle sprain rather than ACL/MCL like i thought, Ben is gonna do just fine in the NFL. He actually got hurt on a decent run. His OL was killing him all night though.

Edit: ESPN reporting it could be a broken ankle, and if so would end his season.

I've heard it was a broken ankle.. I really hate it him. He was competing for the starting spot too

He said on his facebook page that his ankle is not broken. Take it for what it's worth

From his facebook page.

Ben Tate: Thanks to everyone for your prayers and wishing me well!!! i didnt break my ankle i can tell you that but thanks to everyone

46 minutes ago · View Feedback (190)

well everyone wish his ACL get better and we'll see if he rules that out too :\

I hate this for Ben.  I REALLY wanted to see him on the field this year.

I've heard it was a broken ankle.. I really hate it him. He was competing for the starting spot too

Ankle was not broken but he is supposed to have surgery on Tuesday or Wednesday per his coach.

oh no.  man i hate this so much for ben.  man i hope its not serious.  had such a bright road ahead.

I hate it too man, I think he will bounce back and still have a shot at a great pro career.

Archived