Heisman campaign question???

jayb4au

Coming into this season we all had very high hopes for Cam Newton, and he hasn't dissapointed.   Now after what he did against one of the better defenses in the conference, and his total #'s the rest of the country is taking more notice too. 

My question is this.   How do we get a Heisman Campaign going for Cam media wise.   Is this started by the Athletic Department or is it pretty much up to ESPN for the continued press?   

Sorry if this has been covered in other threads or if it's just a ridiculus question. 

Thanks

WDE  Class of 2004

I know from living in Knoxville last year that they had Billboards up for the Eric Berry Heisman campaign(which was a huge waste of money.lol)

But they'd kinda have to start doing stuff like RIGHT NOW if they were gonna advertise for it.

So I guess its an Athletic Department thing. I know that Kiffin was the main one behind getting the Berry thing going.

Cam is kind of a tougher situation because he hasnt been here for all of his years and you kind of didnt know what to expect so we couldnt just start a campaign before the season started which is when you need to start.

But I do think we need to get something going for him. He is clearly one of the best in the nation.

I think players at smaller schools or schools that are not on TV every week may need some media campaigns (which never seem to work by the way), but if Cam continues to put up the numbers he has so far, no campaign will be needed.  He will be in the thick of the discussion if we keep winning and he keeps leading the SEC in rushing and pass efficiency. 

Honestly, I don't really care about any Heisman talk at this point. It's nothing but a distraction, and we are only 4 games into the season.... I want to accomplish bigger things than a Heisman this season....

Honestly, I don't really care about any Heisman talk at this point. It's nothing but a distraction, and we are only 4 games into the season.... I want to accomplish bigger things than a Heisman this season....

THIS^^^^

I think players at smaller schools or schools that are not on TV every week may need some media campaigns (which never seem to work by the way), but if Cam continues to put up the numbers he has so far, no campaign will be needed.  He will be in the thick of the discussion if we keep winning and he keeps leading the SEC in rushing and pass efficiency. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^this, and...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this,

Also, he has only played four games.  He has been very good in each game, doing a variety of things.  However, the sample size is just not there yet.  Should he be on the watch lists that have up to 15 players on them right now? Yes.  Does the athletic dept need to do something right now? No.  That being said this athletic department is a new breed, they have toyed with different things already and I wouldn't be surprised if they did start doing something if his numbers continue on into the season.

IF you really feel he is the best player in the country and want to promote him, start it yourself.  Grassroots campaigning can be very effective, so if you want him to get considered go for it.  

But if you can have both the BIG things AND the Heisman you'd take them both. And its possible. Obviously. We've got Supermans Daddy at QB for crying out loud.

That may be true, but I'm not jumping on the bandwagon yet, the Cam for Heisman video after week 1 being the main reason.. I'm not really a fan of anointing favorites for an award, before teams and players have proved anything over the course of a season. Last year was a good example, the 2 favorites last year threw up all over themselves at the end of the season, but it didn't matter. Su was not going to win that award, no matter how many sacks he had.

I think this is a ridiculous convo to even discuss at this point..

But its not for everybody else they are talking about?  :dunno:

Even though Cam is putting up the same if not better numbers than those guys? Against better competition too.

Just play the game and the credits will come. This team doesn't need a distraction. Everyone is taking notice of Newton's performances. Forgive me, but I just heard even Finescum say that he is the most exciting player in college football right now, not that his comment matters. The point is the Auburn haters are having to acknowledge that Cam is the real deal, even the stupid, over-inflated, air-head Shane from Centerpoint. The bamsters are having to reassure themselves of their supposed superiority over all of college football.

Even though Cam is putting up the same if not better numbers than those guys? Against better competition too.

Yes, for everybody else also, but the topic was about Cam.  Let's revisit this mid-November.  

Just play the game and the credits will come. This team doesn't need a distraction. Everyone is taking notice of Newton's performances. Forgive me, but I just heard even Finescum say that he is the most exciting player in college football right now, not that his comment matters. The point is the Auburn haters are having to acknowledge that Cam is the real deal, even the stupid, over-inflated, air-head Shane from Centerpoint. The bamsters are having to reassure themselves of their supposed superiority over all of college football.

This.

One game at a time.  Winning games will take care of all of the rest...

Yes, for everybody else also, but the topic was about Cam.  Let's revisit this mid-November.  

I can agree with that.

If you perform well consistently, you'll get put into the race. I don't remember Ingram, Suh, etc. being mentioned for the Heisman until they performed on the field.

While I would LOVE for Cam to win the Heisman, I think his performance on the field needs to do his talking for him.  If Auburn continues to win and he plays as well as he has been playing, the awards will take care of themselves.

Guest Apraser99

There should be no heisman campaign. He has had four good games. If he continues to produce for the next four games, maybe he should be mentioned. Not now. That would be a huge distraction. Folks, we are a long way from where we want to be. If anyone deserves the heisman right now it is Michigan's QB. Those are some GAUDY numbers.

Archived