Calm my nerves about the first game

Threedog79

dont know why you're worried about this game, that november stretch is something to be nervous about 0_o

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A team that went 0-8 in the SEC! lol

Expect that's what a lot of teams were thinking when the Gus Bus hit them.

Meanwhile, take 'em one at a time...that usually works best.

The ONLY concern I have is one that hasn't been proven wrong yet. The notion that the team will be slow out of the gates every year due to difficulty grasping the playbook. Two years as a HC, one at the highest level in college football doesn't provide enough evidence either way. Season openers agains SEC competition is also a concern, no matter who the opponent is. That being said, for all the reasons already mentioned, I'm not sweating it too much.

Returning our starting QB is a definite advantage for our opener, that is if he gets to play. Based on AU's rules, Marshall should be OK to play the first game. If so, timing on offense with the zone read should be very good and a huge AU advantage.

Who do we lose to?

Could be any of the four we'd have lost to last year with one wrong bounce. Could be USCe, LSU or KSU. Ole Miss in Oxford is a possibility. We were 4-1 in down to the wire games last year, FSU being the only loss. Does anyone think that 80% will repeat? I think 9-3 or 10-2 would be a remarkable season but of course I am hoping for more.

15-0, SEC AND NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

I have seen this before. When you are an old fart like me you have memories of 1964 and 1984. Y'all just think there is big talk and high expectations now, you should have experienced it in August of those two years. It can come crashing down in a heartbeat, in spite of all the well-reasoned explanations of why we'll be 15-0. Every team is 15-0 in August.

Gus said were going back to the ship game.......... Remember 13seconds? I trust Gus!!!

Like me, Gus wants AU to be back in the championship game. There's a long, long distance between wanting to be there and being there. It's not a question of trusting Gus, it's a question of how undecided and to some extent uncontrollable events unfold. Can Gus prevent injuries, control how good or bad opponents may be? Pick the weather for every game? Trust Gus as much as you like, he cannot control those things and they'll go a long way toward deciding whether AU is even in Atlanta for the SEC game or not, let alone the Natn'l Championship game.

PS: I trust Gus to do the best job he can do, but there are a number of things that he cannot control.

That's true, but I believe in AU and love it. It's a new day, remember? Besides that it bothers me that with all the experience and depth coming back everyone have doubts. Where was this doubt back in 2010 when bama was picked to repeat without any doubt when they returned most of if not all of their team intact? Oh, it's AU and we are not suppose to be optimistic about our chances to get back to the championship game. The easy excuse: schedule too hard. The schedule is tough but if AU is better this year than last, who on AU's schedule returns more?

Gus said were going back to the ship game.......... Remember 13seconds? I trust Gus!!!

Like me, Gus wants AU to be back in the championship game. There's a long, long distance between wanting to be there and being there. It's not a question of trusting Gus, it's a question of how undecided and to some extent uncontrollable events unfold. Can Gus prevent injuries, control how good or bad opponents may be? Pick the weather for every game? Trust Gus as much as you like, he cannot control those things and they'll go a long way toward deciding whether AU is even in Atlanta for the SEC game or not, let alone the Natn'l Championship game.

PS: I trust Gus to do the best job he can do, but there are a number of things that he cannot control.

Well said. Also, Gus didn't say that we're going back to the 'ship. He'd never be so careless with his words (and goodness knows the state media would never let him hear the end of it if he had). All he said is that we didn't finish that game and that is this year's team's motivation to be better in every workout, practice and game. Really, it's just another way of saying "Finish the drill" and other such motivational mottoes.

They may get a few runs off to start, but I believe Ellis will have more options and a heckuva lot more weapons at his disposal this year. We will be fine.

Well said. Also, Gus didn't say that we're going back to the 'ship. He'd never be so careless with his words (and goodness knows the state media would never let him hear the end of it if he had). All he said is that we didn't finish that game and that is this year's team's motivation to be better in every workout, practice and game. Really, it's just another way of saying "Finish the drill" and other such motivational mottoes.

He did say it. Go back and listen to the post game celebration in AU.
No apologies needed

The weather had nothing to do with us losing to LSU. Football players are still expected to continue fundamentally sound football. The rain affected cutting on both sides, which resulted in Densons injury unfortunately . Lsu didn't have to do much cutting for they were running through truck-size holes in the first half. The punter dropped the ball because he lost concentration and didn't execute. To say Gus can't control the weather sounds like Gus can't win in the rain. Which is absurd. I have heard enough of that from the bammer side.

The weather had nothing to do with us losing to LSU. Football players are still expected to continue fundamentally sound football. The rain affected cutting on both sides, which resulted in Densons injury unfortunately . Lsu didn't have to do much cutting for they were running through truck-size holes in the first half. The punter dropped the ball because he lost concentration and didn't execute. To say Gus can't control the weather sounds like Gus can't win in the rain. Which is absurd. I have heard enough of that from the bammer side.

That's one helluva leap there, Pardner. The weather does cause unforeseen things to happen to both sides. Gus can't control that, it's been part of football since football has been being played.

PPS: Why do you listen to bamzos? Most of us don't pay 'em any mind.

Why would we have an advantage to them on hb on paper?

Who else behind Collins is a proven reserve HB that can help ease the load for Collins?

CAP and Corey have the experience and production. I elect advantage AU as well.

Jonathan Williams rushed for 900+ yards last year and is on the doak walker award watch list

Korliss Marshall had the 87 yard kickoff return in our game last year and we expect him to have a big year too, he was the leading rusher in the spring game

That's true, but I believe in AU and love it. It's a new day, remember? Besides that it bothers me that with all the experience and depth coming back everyone have doubts. Where was this doubt back in 2010 when bama was picked to repeat without any doubt when they returned most of if not all of their team intact? Oh, it's AU and we are not suppose to be optimistic about our chances to get back to the championship game. The easy excuse: schedule too hard. The schedule is tough but if AU is better this year than last, who on AU's schedule returns more?

Well the thing about this statement is Alabama lost so theoretically to hope we don't lose a game is warranted.

That's one helluva leap there, Pardner. The weather does cause unforeseen things to happen to both sides. Gus can't control that, it's been part of football since football has been being played.

It's not that much of a leap. Unless I misread that part.... but yes, Gus can't control the weather... neither can any other football coach. The team most prepared and talented will win. I don't understand why you said Gus can't control the weather.

Unfortunately, I work with obnoxious bammers.... so I have to smack them around a bit

It's not that much of a leap. Unless I misread that part.... but yes, Gus can't control the weather... neither can any other football coach. The team most prepared and talented will win. I don't understand why you said Gus can't control the weather.

Unfortunately, I work with obnoxious bammers.... so I have to smack them around a bit

Bad weather causes unusual bounces. No coach, ever, has had control over that. The most talented and best prepared team doesn't get all the bad weather bounces. Bad weather is a great equalizer, which normally favors the lesser team. That's been my experience.

Bad weather causes unusual bounces. No coach, ever, has had control over that. The most talented and best prepared team doesn't get all the bad weather bounces. Bad weather is a great equalizer, which normally favors the lesser team. That's been my experience.

I don't agree with the second to last sentence but to each his own. Cheers

Archived