2014 Week 1 Practice - 8/19 Edition

RunInRed

Prep for Arky is underway!

-53d14251901d31e1.JPG

Photo via Julie Bennett/al.com

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said work day was "similar to in-season Tuesday practice." Also spent day putting in game plan for Arkansas.

@AUGoldMine

Malzahn: "We're slowly starting to put in our game plan on our first opponent. … FIrst games are always about adjustments.

Malzahn on prep for season opener: "You just try to do your best to try to predict how they're going to attack you."

Malzahn says senior walk-on FB Patrick Young has suffered a knee injury, possibly out for season: "That's a tough deal."

@AUBlog

Malzahn on the QB reps: "We haven't decided yet." Says they'll come to a decision soon.

@wareagleextra

Any chance mind changes and Nick Marshall starts vs. Arkansas? "No, I've already said he's not going to start."

@bmarcello

Malzahn said there will be a depth chart out next week.

Jaylon Denson was not at practice...Malzahn said "he has something to take care of."

Malzahn said there is "no doubt" this year's team has worked as hard in the offseason as the 2013 team.

@JFergusonAU

Malzahn says he's been impressed with the level of effort at practice. No shortage of energy.

Malzahn says DL Devaroe Lawrence may or may not be able to play against Arkansas due to injury.

@JayGTate

LaDarius Owens is back at practice.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Malzahn has not made a decision yet on awarding any walk-on scholarships.

"We've got some leaders who have really stepped up," Malzahn said. "When you get that close that has a way of motivating guys."

Malzahn just found out he got nominated for the #ALSIceBucketChallenge. When asked if he will do it Malzahn said, "probably so."

@TheAUPlainsman

Patrick Young, Auburn Man. FB on the scout team for 3 (THREE) years then finally in a position to help the game day squad and he suffers a serious knee injury? That's flat brutal.

Patrick Young, Auburn Man. FB on the scout team for 3 (THREE) years then finally in a position to help the game day squad and he suffers a serious knee injury? That's flat brutal.

Well said.

I appreciate Gus more every time I see one of his press conferences. It's so refreshing to see a coach who has integrity and treats others with high regard and respect. It says a lot about him, and in this day and age it's not something to take for granted. He is an Auburn man and represents Auburn well...in addition to being a football genius. I especially appreciate the stark contrast it presents to what goes on the other side of the state.

I appreciate Gus more every time I see one of his press conferences. It's so refreshing to see a coach who has integrity and treats others with high regard and respect. It says a lot about him, and in this day and age it's not something to take for granted. He is an Auburn man and represents Auburn well...in addition to being a football genius. I especially appreciate the stark contrast it presents to what goes on the other side of the state.

I think he praises in public and reprimands in private. I don't know if I've ever heard him say anything negative about a player.

Archived