Week 9 (Auburn vs. South Carolina) - Wednesday Updates

RunInRed

Via the SEC Weekly Teleconference ...

HC Gus Malzahn

Gus Malzahn now on SEC teleconference. "We're coming off an off week which was really good for our players and coaches."

Malzahn praises South Carolina as a talented team and says "we know we'll have to play really well to win."

Malzahn says he thinks the team "got better in all areas" during the bye week.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn on slowing MSU QB Dak Prescott: "He's like a running back, he runs the ball extremely well." Says you "have to mix things up."

Malzahn on golfing w/ Spurrier: "I can't remember really beating him. … I know the couple of times we've played he's done better than me."

@AUBlog

Malzahn on Marshall: "At times this year he's played extremely well. At times, he's missed some things." Bye week has been good for him

@TheMikeHerndon

USC HC Steve Spurrier

Spurrier on Malzahn: "I think Gus/Auburn, & maybe Oregon, run that zone read offense as well anybody in the country. Gus has his own style."

Spurrier said relationship with Malzahn & Hugh Freeze started when the pair invited Spurrier to play golf before spring meetings 2 yrs ago.

Spurrier jokes that he lost in the first 6-hole golf game w/ Freeze & Malzahn two years ago but adds "I just happened to win last year."

Spurrier talks friendship w/ Malzahn: "We just have a lot in common, we're the head coaches that call the plays and we all play golf."

@AUBlog

So cool and refreshing to see these three coaches showing mutual respect.... instead of that nic-picking Mexican-Standoff we had this summer.

Very cool. I have always liked Spurrier.

I hate him a lot less since he's been at SC (NFL did its part to humble the guy), but I've never liked him. I recognize that he's arguably the best coach this side of Bear ever to coach in the SEC, and I respect him for the work he's done turning Carolina into a borderline elite SEC team (gotta win it at least once before you get to that point), but the way he ran it up on the Sisters of the Poor teams, even if he was doing so with his second and third stringers in the game, always bothered me.

I hate him a lot less since he's been at SC (NFL did its part to humble the guy), but I've never liked him. I recognize that he's arguably the best coach this side of Bear ever to coach in the SEC, and I respect him for the work he's done turning Carolina into a borderline elite SEC team (gotta win it at least once before you get to that point), but the way he ran it up on the Sisters of the Poor teams, even if he was doing so with his second and third stringers in the game, always bothered me.

So I'm guessing :) u didn't like 62-3 (Western Carolina @ Jordan Hare) any more than :poke: 59-0 from last week?

Visor kings Malzahn & Spurrier. Gainesville Sun sports editor Pat Dooley told me Spurrier talks you into trying impossible golf shots then after you're in the weeds he takes the safe shot.

Visor kings Malzahn & Spurrier. Gainesville Sun sports editor Pat Dooley told me Spurrier talks you into trying impossible golf shots then after you're in the weeds he takes the safe shot.

No one can save you from yourself.

His job to score points, your job to stop him!

His job to score points, your job to stop him!

Exactly. I had no problem with his methods. He captained the ship, won big and was brash about it. Definitely a breath of fresh air for the SEC and college football from that era forward.

Archived