Rivalry Games

Win4AU

Something that has bothered me more than anything since the Tub years is Auburn's record against its big 3 Alabama, LSU, and UGA.

Since 1999

Alabama: 9-8 advantage Auburn. While Auburn has the advantage overall, Alabama has been dominate since Nick Saban took over at Alabama winning 6/8. 3 of those 6 were by embarrassing scores. I think all Auburn fans would agree that even during the 6 year streak we never put it on Alabama the way we should have against some average teams. Its going to be hard to dominate like the Tubs streak but based on recruiting Alabama shouldn't be this far ahead of Auburn. I believe splitting home games and winning out right instead of relying on last second kicks or Cam backs should be the norm.

UGA : advantage Georgia 10-7. UGA has won 8 of the last 10. With the exception of this season the last couple UGA wins have been beat downs. This is a team we either equal or beat in recruiting year to year. Maybe things will change now that Richt is gone but these haven't been great teams that have won Championships. The Georgia team that cost Auburn a shot at the BCS in 2006 didn't even make a bowl game.

LSU : advantage LSU 10-7. LSU has won 7 of the last 10. 2014 was the last time since 2004 UGA that I felt like Auburn punished one of its Rivals. Between the 3 I feel like this is the one that Auburn has played the closest to its rival. 2009, 2011, and 2015 were ugly games but even in bad years Auburn has stepped up to play this game close. LSU recruits at a top 5 level but similar to Alabama we should be able to split home games and keep games close even in loses.

In 4 seasons Chizik's only wins came in the 2010 National Championship Season

In 3 seasons Malzahn's only wins came in 2013 against Bama and UGA and 2014 against LSU

I believe the biggest obstacle to Malzahn's job will be his record against these 3 teams next year. If Auburn goes 9-3 or 8-4 but 0-3 against these rivals then people in charge may start to get uneasy.

Something that has bothered me more than anything since the Tub years is Auburn's record against its big 3 Alabama, LSU, and UGA.

Since 1999

Alabama: 9-8 advantage Auburn. While Auburn has the advantage overall, Alabama has been dominate since Nick Saban took over at Alabama winning 6/8. 3 of those 6 were by embarrassing scores. I think all Auburn fans would agree that even during the 6 year streak we never put it on Alabama the way we should have against some average teams. Its going to be hard to dominate like the Tubs streak but based on recruiting Alabama shouldn't be this far ahead of Auburn. I believe splitting home games and winning out right instead of relying on last second kicks or Cam backs should be the norm.

UGA : advantage Georgia 10-7. UGA has won 8 of the last 10. With the exception of this season the last couple UGA wins have been beat downs. This is a team we either equal or beat in recruiting year to year. Maybe things will change now that Richt is gone but these haven't been great teams that have won Championships. The Georgia team that cost Auburn a shot at the BCS in 2006 didn't even make a bowl game.

LSU : advantage LSU 10-7. LSU has won 7 of the last 10. 2014 was the last time since 2004 UGA that I felt like Auburn punished one of its Rivals. Between the 3 I feel like this is the one that Auburn has played the closest to its rival. 2009, 2011, and 2015 were ugly games but even in bad years Auburn has stepped up to play this game close. LSU recruits at a top 5 level but similar to Alabama we should be able to split home games and keep games close even in loses.

In 3 seasons Malzahn's only wins came in 2013 against Bama and UGA and 2014 against LSU

I believe the biggest obstacle to Malzahn's job will be his record against these 3 teams next year. If Auburn goes 9-3 or 8-4 but 0-3 against these rivals then people in charge may start to get uneasy.

People in charge are uneasy right now dude. AU has lost way too much in the last 12 months to make anyone "in charge" feel comfortable. When the freaking Mississippi schools pass us by and we end up in the cellar of the division, that's a very uneasy feeling.

So, what's the answer? The fanbase seems to be split into the "Fire Gus" and "Keep Gus" factions, with each getting extremely mad at the other for voicing their opinions. What will it take for Gus to turn it around? Do we have to be playing in Atlanta at this time next year for him to be safe? Are we willing to give him 2-3 more years to right the ship?

Coaching stability is crucial to building a championship-level team that will compete every year. However, in today's "instant results" society, will Gus be given more time if we finish at/near the bottom of the SEC-W next season? Barring the 2nd coming of Cam Newton in JF III, or a freshman phenom in Woody Barrett, do we really expect to be a completely different team next season? SW is a solid QB, but can he take the punishment of the SEC? Can SW be enough of a mobile threat to utilize the entire Malzahn playbook? If none of these things happen, I'm afraid we're looking at another 6-6 season next year, and that may be the end of Gus. The bammers will crow about running another coach out of the SEC (and especially out of Auburn), and we'll be wondering who to hire to fix all of this. I hope it doesn't come to this, but I truly feel that we need to destroy our opponent in the bowl game, come out of spring camp with a unanimous choice at QB, and come out strong against Clemson. We don't necessarily need to win that game, but it better be competitive. A blow out could start the landslide. We also better beat at least two of our rivals, and we better beat them handily. 0-3 against the big 3, and Gus better pack up.

I really hate that we have to prepare ourselves for this mindset again. I hope Gus finds his QB, hits the ground running with a win over Clemson, and never looks back on his way to Atlanta, and then the 2016 College Football Championship! A guy can dream, can't he????

Since 1999

I think your premise that Auburn is recruiting at the same high level as the other 3 schools is invalid. Aside from stars, what other measurement confirms that Auburn is bringing in the same caliber of athletes that the other schools are? Certainly not NFL draft picks or consistent performance on the field. You can counter with how many players off last year's team made it onto NFL squads, but how many were drafted compared with the other 3 schools. I think if you look at the number of NFL draft picks over the past 10 years of the 4 schools, it tells the whole story.

You can blame coaching or lack of chemistry or whatever, but the bottomline for me is that Auburn is perpetually outrecruited by these 3 schools and only when Auburn gets a diamond in the rough like Cam Newton, Nick Fairley, or Nick Marshall can they overcome the other's advantage for a while. Not that Auburn should leave the SEC or anything so drastic, but consistency breeds success and firing coaches is not going to help. Maybe a little tinkering here and there, but not wholesale changes.

So, what's the answer? The fanbase seems to be split into the "Fire Gus" and "Keep Gus" factions, with each getting extremely mad at the other for voicing their opinions. What will it take for Gus to turn it around? Do we have to be playing in Atlanta at this time next year for him to be safe? Are we willing to give him 2-3 more years to right the ship?

Coaching stability is crucial to building a championship-level team that will compete every year. However, in today's "instant results" society, will Gus be given more time if we finish at/near the bottom of the SEC-W next season? Barring the 2nd coming of Cam Newton in JF III, or a freshman phenom in Woody Barrett, do we really expect to be a completely different team next season? SW is a solid QB, but can he take the punishment of the SEC? Can SW be enough of a mobile threat to utilize the entire Malzahn playbook? If none of these things happen, I'm afraid we're looking at another 6-6 season next year, and that may be the end of Gus. The bammers will crow about running another coach out of the SEC (and especially out of Auburn), and we'll be wondering who to hire to fix all of this. I hope it doesn't come to this, but I truly feel that we need to destroy our opponent in the bowl game, come out of spring camp with a unanimous choice at QB, and come out strong against Clemson. We don't necessarily need to win that game, but it better be competitive. A blow out could start the landslide. We also better beat at least two of our rivals, and we better beat them handily. 0-3 against the big 3, and Gus better pack up.

I really hate that we have to prepare ourselves for this mindset again. I hope Gus finds his QB, hits the ground running with a win over Clemson, and never looks back on his way to Atlanta, and then the 2016 College Football Championship! A guy can dream, can't he????

Typically, a coach gets four years now to show what he is made o, three years if he is awful. We were great in 2013, pretty good in 2014 but finished ranked, and meh in 2015. The trend and timing makes 2016Gus's make or break year in modern football. Only thing that might save him is that atrocious buyout.

Archived