Contract Details of New Football Assistants

WarTiger

Keven Steele...1.1 MILLION?!! Does money have no value anymore? Unbelievable. There is no doubt we were desperate. We should of paid Aranda 2 MILLION!

That's roughly the going rate for top coordinators. Join the 21st century, you might like it in here.

I think college football is on a different planet....I'm pretty familiar with the 21st century and know a lot of people with serious jobs....and none of them are in that ball park.

Getting a job coaching in college football is better than winning the lottery.

it pays well no question but these guys earn every cent of it. You want to have a job where you are basically a hired gun moving every couple of years on average with everything you do scrutinized by media and fans alike?

It must not be too bad....how many people do you see giving up their jobs to go to something more normal?

Back in the day if you had a job with IBM all you were missing were the public scrutiny and the mega bucks.

It's the reality of the world we live in. College football is big business and big money is part of big business. Most coaches have a great passion for what they do. It's in their blood. You're worth what someone is willing to pay you. I don't begrudge anyone the money they are paid in their job.

Oh...I understand the way of the football world coaching is about the only job I know of where you do a poor job and get fired and more often than not you get a new job pretty quickly making more money and if it so happens that the new job does not go well, it's off to the next one at a higher salary yet in many cases.

College sports are like the entertainment business....there is often no relationship between their financial structures and the rest of the world.

The business seems to operate on the "greater fool theory"......that there is always a fool out there willing to pay more so why not take it.

My only objection is that it distorts reality which is why we see 17 year old HS recruits already talking about what they are going to do when the get to the NFL...and maybe not saying it out loud......but thinking....the money.....the gals, the cars, the houses I can have.....

The market will always correct it if it gets too much. It's not necessarily the money because if you do make it then all that is there. When you're 18 you think you've got the world by the tail. You're going to to be a great athlete or actor or musician or be famous some other way. You're invincible It's been that way since time began.

You and I go to games or watch them on TV. We buy the gear of our favorite teams. Ratings continue to increase. Money from broadcast rights and merchandise pours in. We as a society are sports fanatics. We spend hours pouring over everything we can find on TV, radio the Internet and other sources. We spend money on recruiting sites like Rivals and scout.

We're sitting here in the middle of May discussing Auburn Football. If we didn’t care then there would be a vastly different model for coaches salaries and professional athletes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kodi has proven himself already and Twill only had 2 bowl games as LB coach. So I'm sure both will get raises if they produce and IMO both are upgrades as coaches, and it looks like both are making a name as recruiters esp T will.

Just don't get the love for Kodi. Has not proven a thing. T-will, I'm told, is the better coach and in a whole different galaxy recruiting. Hands down. And this isn't coming from just one person. Told Kodi is "finding his way". But anyways have at it with the Kodi-Cat man crush people have.

Also think Steele is going to surprise people here. AU has some damn good coaching on the D side of the ball. Really looking forward to seeing the D next year.

Didn't AU also have to pay LSU to get Steele?

No.

My mistake, I thought Steele had time left on his LSU contract that had to be paid.

No.

My mistake, I thought Steele had time left on his LSU contract that had to be paid.

LSU let Steele out of his contract. Pretty sure anyways.

No.

LSU let Steele out of his contract. Pretty sure anyways.

We traded CDC for Steele. They should have paid us for the trade ?

I kid, I kid

Kodi was a beloved player...hence the crush. There's a large segment of the fan base that would love to see Bo Jackson coach running backs, Jason Campbell or Brandon Cox coach QBs, and Takeo Spikes coach LBers.

WR production will determine his fate soon enough. For now, let's enjoy him.

Kodi has proven himself already and Twill only had 2 bowl games as LB coach. So I'm sure both will get raises if they produce and IMO both are upgrades as coaches, and it looks like both are making a name as recruiters esp T will.

Just don't get the love for Kodi. Has not proven a thing. T-will, I'm told, is the better coach and in a whole different galaxy recruiting. Hands down. And this isn't coming from just one person. Told Kodi is "finding his way". But anyways have at it with the Kodi-Cat man crush people have.

Also think Steele is going to surprise people here. AU has some damn good coaching on the D side of the ball. Really looking forward to seeing the D next year.

I'm fully expecting to see a vastly better D. The talent is there and a very solid staff coaching them. Sometimes coaching is as much about relationship with the player and them listening as it is teaching the Xs and Os. Seems like this staff has a great mix of those things!.

In a way, you'd expect T-Will to be ahead of Kodi. He's got several years more time out of school and involved in the coaching side of things even if all of that time wasn't in an on-field position.

Kodi is a recent fan favorite, you have to go back a ways to remember T-Wills great LB play.

In a way, you'd expect T-Will to be ahead of Kodi. He's got several years more time out of school and involved in the coaching side of things even if all of that time wasn't in an on-field position.

Kodi is a recent fan favorite, you have to go back a ways to remember T-Wills great LB play.

So you give Kodi 100K more a year AND make him co-offensive coordinator? Makes a lot of sense.

So you give Kodi 100K more a year AND make him co-offensive coordinator? Makes a lot of sense.

Since I'm not in the business of organizing a football staff I don't know what makes sense and what doesn't. I do know that Williams is roughly ten years older than Kodi but Kodi was hired from an on-field coaching position while Williams was not. That seems to make a huge difference in the coaching profession.

Since I'm not in the business of organizing a football staff I don't know what makes sense and what doesn't. I do know that Williams is roughly ten years older than Kodi but Kodi was hired from an on-field coaching position while Williams was not. That seems to make a huge difference in the coaching profession.

Yep like the military...prefer officers who have been in combat.

I think some of us are forgetting that we had to hire Kodi away from Arizona State. does anyone know what he was making there? sure he got a nice bump to come home.

didn't they make Kodi the Co Offensive Coordinator on top of his WR position?

Damn sure did. Wow.

The reasoning some posters on here had for naming Kodi Co-OC was so that AU wouldn't have to buy out his ArizonaSt contract. Co-OC was a promotion from his former position.

They said he won't really be coordinating the offense at all, that the o-line coach (Hand) will really be the Co-OC and he will be heavily involved with Gus in the game plan phase. I'm not sure what Rhett will be doing? :dunno:

didn't they make Kodi the Co Offensive Coordinator on top of his WR position?

Damn sure did. Wow.

The reasoning some posters on here had for naming Kodi Co-OC was so that AU wouldn't have to buy out his ArizonaSt contract. Co-OC was a promotion from his former position.

They said he won't really be coordinating the offense at all, that the o-line coach (Hand) will really be the Co-OC and he will be heavily involved with Gus in the game plan phase. I'm not sure what Rhett will be doing? :dunno:

Recruiting Joey Gatewood I guess.

I think some of us are forgetting that we had to hire Kodi away from Arizona State. does anyone know what he was making there? sure he got a nice bump to come home.

I don't know if he was there long enough for them to announce the salary. He was making $80k at MTSU before being hired by ASU. He was hired as their running back coach.

I actually think Steele will prove to be worth it.

I agree

Hope you guys are right. I'm not sold on him just yet.

"Williams will make $225,100"

1st job as an official on the field coach and he makes almost a quarter million? I'm in the wrong profession!

What happened to nothing but red flags and alarm bells?

I agree

1st job as an official on the field coach and he makes almost a quarter million? I'm in the wrong profession!

True but is it worth the yearly angst of job security? I mean we all have to perform to stay employeed but we all don't have hundred of thousands of people looking over our shoulders every week either.

I agree

True but is it worth the yearly angst of job security? I mean we all have to perform to stay employeed but we all don't have hundred of thousands of people looking over our shoulders every week either.

I'd take it for 4-5 years salary in 1 year. I could be unemployed 3 out of 4 years and still be VERY comfortable.

I agree

I'd take it for 4-5 years salary in 1 year. I could be unemployed 3 out of 4 years and still be VERY comfortable.

Just an additional observation: if you have a job with no angst about employment security you must be working for the government.

My kids are in their 40s, have good jobs in middle management at good companies with reasonable salaries....but their job security is probably no better than Kodi's at well less than half the salary.

Kodi was going to make around $200,000 at ASU. So that was a fantastic salary increase for someone around 27 years old. From $80,000 at Middle Tenn to $200,000 at ASU to $350,000 at Auburn...and in less than a year.

I knew i was in the wrong career...)))

Archived