Article AU / SAC's Probation

WE4AU

There was an article in the Chattanooga paper Thursday by Associated Press saying officials of the faculty group, the American Association of University Professors, were suggesting that conditions had actually worsened since SAC's probation was initiated. It went on to say that while they favor lifting probation, it is only with complete compliance of the SAC's criteria.

In a letter to SAC's the group requested a complete investigation into the 9 firings, by Dr. Ed Richardson with particular reference to the longtime critic of BL, Betty Dement, the former president of the Alumni Association, as a base for their continuing concern. In addition, they cited the clear connections between the 'sacred cows' on the BOT's and most of these firings as reasons for the need for continued monitoring by SAC's.

Apparently, SAC's was on campus Sept. 23-28 to interview 35-40 people, approximately half of which were faculty. AU will have until the Nov. 16 to respond to the recommendations by SAC's prior to the official decision sometime in Dec.

Now folks, I don't know a lot about the political aspects of SAC's and accreditation, but this doesn't sound good to me.

Did anyone else see anything about this?

i didn't see anything about it anywhere else, but it sounds par for the course to me.....ed richardson is nothing more than a buffer between SACS and the trustees.....he can appear to be standing up to the trustees and all the while doing their bidding....this man has no backbone....he is a politician and politicians will do whatever is politically, and publicaly expediate to themselves....no it does not sound good....i am sick of those insecure and manipulating trustees,but what the hell can we do about it?....what can anyone do about it?

It was in the news this week in Birmingham. I am not sure how this will affect us. I think it is definitely time for Richardson to get an AD and begin searching for a new President. He needs to quit dragging his feet. We need to get things a bit more stable in the Administration.

On the faculty side, they need to get a grip. They will say anything to stir up trouble. They hate athletics, the fact it brings in more money than they do, and the spotlight it receives. If it were up to most of those b*&^%ing and moaning, there wouldn't be any real sports in college. Just Chess, Robotics Club, Math Team, and Debate Team. So don't believe everything they say.

The weekend of the SECCG is when AU meets with SACS again.

Archived