Interesting Stats: Auburn vs UAT

Aubie7

Since yards per game do not count on the scoreboard, I would think that points allowed per game is a better statistic to judge a defense by. Oh yeah, I would definitely say that the W-L is the only thing that counts.

114976[/snapback]

That would make perfect sense if we were talking about which team was better. It's obviously AU. This thread wasn't about who's better overall, it was about comparing the defense.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love to see a comparison of yards/points allowed in the first half.  That would be a little more accurate, considering in 7 of the last 8 games,  during the third qtr, Coach Tuberville has pulled me down from section 23 row 30 and asked me to strap it on and go play little middle linebacker.

115061[/snapback]

Good point, but the problem is this. Bama has no depth AND AU's second stringers were rated higher than bama's first stringers by recruiting sites.

:nopity: That's the funny thing about stats. You can make them say just about anything you want them to say.  So, if you leave out enough information, move a few things around, you can  make several teams have the best defense in the country.

114887[/snapback]

Whatever man. Every college football ranking system has UA with the #1 defense in the nation. :rolleyes::rolleyes: All those bama homers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

114896[/snapback]

Every one of them? :no: No, what they have is UAT leading the country in fewest yards allowed. :D

114902[/snapback]

Since yards per game given up mean nothing to you, please tell me how you would rate the defense. By scoring? Just scoring?

Fine, we can do it that way. Bama is #1 in Total Defense, and Wisconsin is #1 in Scoring defense.

I'd love to see a comparison of yards/points allowed in the first half.  That would be a little more accurate, considering in 7 of the last 8 games,  during the third qtr, Coach Tuberville has pulled me down from section 23 row 30 and asked me to strap it on and go play little middle linebacker.

115061[/snapback]

Good point, but the problem is this. Bama has no depth AND AU's second stringers were rated higher than bama's first stringers by recruiting sites.

115064[/snapback]

PLEASE, Do not share this info. with bg. It may cause him to blow a fuse ! ! :big:

Yeah...like last year...recruiting only matters to WarTim when AU is ranked higher.

115082[/snapback]

No, recruiting only matters if you only count the kids that qualify and make it to campus.

Okay. Thats fine. Interesting point though. Three of our guys who didnt qualify are already committed for this class. So it sure does look like getting in on them early was a good move.

4 star brandon fanney

4 star lorenzo washington

3 star travis mccall

i sure am glad we recruited these young men last year!

Okay. Thats fine. Interesting point though. Three of our guys who didnt qualify are already committed for this class. So it sure does look like getting in on them early was a good move.

4 star brandon fanney

3 star travis mccall

115182[/snapback]

Commit=nothing.

Sign 'em before you count 'em.

can someone remind me again exactly what it is we're arguing here?

aubies... let UAT have this stat...c'mon...i mean, hey...

115151[/snapback]

What CT said...

Other than as a way to waste a lot of time arguing about something, or as an ointment for a bruised ego due to a less-than-happy season, what does it really matter? I admit, if our records/seasons were reversed, I'd be happy to see Auburn ranked highly in something, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time arguing about it. On the otherhand, if you guys--AU and UA--are enjoying the discussion and have plenty of time to kill, knock yourselves out.

I just want the biggest number on the scoreboard at the end of the Iron Bowl...

:au:

4 star brandon fanney

3 star travis mccall

115182[/snapback]

I'll give you Washington but Fanney is a 2 star

and Mccall is at home not playing any football.

All three still have to make grades. :ua: can have them if and when they get there.

I would still rather have our guys at AUBURN training and playing. :au::au::au:

Yeah...like last year...recruiting only matters to WarTim when AU is ranked higher.

115082[/snapback]

No bg. Recruiting matters. (Ronnie-Carnell-Jason-T. Williams-AT Williams-etc....)

BUT, those that you sign and CAN'T even get into school...Well, they do not matter.

:big::big::big::blink:

Step back from the monitor and remember, uat can still get some more wins this year. It ain't over yet. Relax! :D

can someone remind me again exactly what it is we're arguing here?

aubies... let UAT have this stat...c'mon...i mean, hey...

115151[/snapback]

What CT said...

Other than as a way to waste a lot of time arguing about something, or as an ointment for a bruised ego due to a less-than-happy season, what does it really matter? I admit, if our records/seasons were reversed, I'd be happy to see Auburn ranked highly in something, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time arguing about it. On the otherhand, if you guys--AU and UA--are enjoying the discussion and have plenty of time to kill, knock yourselves out.

I just want the biggest number on the scoreboard at the end of the Iron Bowl...

115205[/snapback]

It really was a waste of time to argue about it, but the thread was started by an aubie, so I just bit. The fact remains, when you hear ESPN talk about the top rated defense in the nation, they are speaking about TOTAL defense. That's the only point I was trying to get across, and if I was wrong about it, there would have been more than one person telling me i was wrong. Everyone of you(well, almost) realize that you rank the OFFENSE and the DEFENSE by yards per game. You rank the TEAMS by wins and losses.

As for the "let them be happy with the defense, because they are having a bad season", well that's not really it. I'm not happy about the defense being ranked high because we've had an unfavorable season, I'm happy because we have NO depth at defense, our starters were from recruiting classes ranked 10 out of 12 in the sec, and yet we STILL have the #1 total defense in the nation. AND, we only lose two starters, which means this team isn't seniors from previously highly ranked classes. These are simply the two stars that UA recruited when they finished 10 out of 12 in the SEC with.

Bama has a good defense. No question.

However, If you want a better comparison of both defenses, Compare Auburn's defense in the FIRST HALF, when the starters are in!

I would be interested to see those stats matched up to anyones in the country!

BINGO ! ! !

But for ONE game, our second and THIRD team guys have played almost the entire second half.

Put those #s into the computer, STATTIGER, and let's see how it looks ! ! ! :big:

Bama has a good defense. No question.

However, If you want a better comparison of both defenses, Compare Auburn's defense in the FIRST HALF, when the starters are in!

I would be interested to see those stats matched up to anyones in the country!

115228[/snapback]

I wish there was a way to get stats for the 1st half of games. That would not only help AU, but it would make bama's stats better too. They allowed 1 yard against Tenn in the first quarter. It would help scoring wise too. South Carolina scored 14 points in the second half against bama because of back-to-back turnovers in the redzone. As a matter of fact, you can compare scoring defenses in the fist half. I will try that.

BINGO ! ! !

But for ONE game, our second and THIRD team guys have played almost the entire second half.

Put those #s into the computer, STATTIGER, and let's see how it looks ! ! ! :big:

115239[/snapback]

But Tim, you have said yourself that AU's recruits over the past few years have been waaaay better than bama's. So what's the differnce in AU's second string guys and bama's first string guys???? 10 out of 12 in the SEC would mean that AU's recruits are better than bama's, right?

Anyways, from what I can tell, the only way to get first half statistics is through ESPN Gamecast. It will take a little time, so I will do it when I get back home tonight. But scoring looks like this.

AU has allowed 3.2 points per game in the first half alone.

Bama has allowed 6.6 points per game in the first half alone.

If I'm not mistaking, that brings our scoring defense averages a little closer.

Wouldn't the FACT that  :au:   has BLOWN OUT all but one opponent and are playing the second and third team defensive players by halftime tend to make this a moot point?  :big:

114918[/snapback]

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:nopity: That's the funny thing about stats. You can make them say just about anything you want them to say.  So, if you leave out enough information, move a few things around, you can  make several teams have the best defense in the country.

114887[/snapback]

Whatever man. Every college football ranking system has UA with the #1 defense in the nation. :rolleyes::rolleyes: All those bama homers. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

114896[/snapback]

Every one of them? :no: No, what they have is UAT leading the country in fewest yards allowed. :D

114902[/snapback]

Fewest yards allowed.....hmm I thought that was the whole point of defense. When a team gives up very few yards, usually the score goes in that teams favor. :thumbsup:

114921[/snapback]

Evidently you didn't watch the Auburn game last week. We had 3 touchdown drives from inside the 40 yard line. Not a lot of yards, but a lot of points! The point of ANY defense is to not give up points. Points determine the winner, not fewest yards allowed. So, if I had a choice, I would take fewest points allowed. Now, if you read my other post, I said that if you took into account ALL defensive stats, UAT would not have the #1 defense in the country. Plain and simple fact, that cannot be disputed, regardless of any back@$$wards attempt by UAT. :au:

115061[/snapback]

115064[/snapback]

WHAT! :o By which sites, please show me? All we EVER hear is about UAT's great recruiting classes! Of course, Auburn can't help it if about 15 of UAT's recruits can't get eligible. :roflol:

114887[/snapback]

114896[/snapback]

114902[/snapback]

Since yards per game given up mean nothing to you, please tell me how you would rate the defense. By scoring? Just scoring?

Fine, we can do it that way. Bama is #1 in Total Defense, and Wisconsin is #1 in Scoring defense.

115065[/snapback]

I said, and let me repeat, if you take ALL of the defensive related stats into account, UAT would not have the #1 defense in the country. If you want to say, and you have already, that UAT leads the country in fewest yards allowed per game, fine. If that makes you sleep better(and we all know you guys need something to hang onto now) then good for you! But, you still don't have the best defense, according to overall stats.

Let me make it a little simpler for the people who are having a hard time grasping the concept.

Over the last eleventybillion years of college football...when people speak of the #1 rated defense in the nation...they use total defense statistics.

The only other thing you could factor into the defense equation would be scoring defense. Auburn ranks 2nd. Alabama ranks 10th.

And the star rankings for prep school guys havent come out yet. The 2 star for Fanney is old. And you say youd rather have your guys practicing on campus than be in prep school...we signed the maximum 19 guys. so whats your point?

Yo', bg, How about answering this question: Aren't those stats rendered meaningless since we are playing our second and third string players in the second half of ALL but one game?

Talk about domination. I wonder what those stats would look like if we were to leave in our FIRST string guys the entire game?

But, I had rather blow teams out than be forced to keep our "D" on the field most of the game. :D:P

Thinking ONLY of old miss....... WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

114887[/snapback]

114896[/snapback]

114902[/snapback]

115065[/snapback]

I said, and let me repeat, if you take ALL of the defensive related stats into account, UAT would not have the #1 defense in the country. If you want to say, and you have already, that UAT leads the country in fewest yards allowed per game, fine. If that makes you sleep better(and we all know you guys need something to hang onto now) then good for you! But, you still don't have the best defense, according to overall stats.

115275[/snapback]

Please, if you don't mind, explain to me the differences between "overall" and "total".

In case you are having a hard time with it, this is from websters dictionary.

OVERALL:

1. Involving only main features

2. Including everything

TOTAL:

1. the whole amount

2. A quanity obtained by addition.

114887[/snapback]

114896[/snapback]

114902[/snapback]

115065[/snapback]

115275[/snapback]

Please, if you don't mind, explain to me the differences between "overall" and "total".

In case you are having a hard time with it, this is from websters dictionary.

OVERALL:

1. Involving only main features

2. Including everything

TOTAL:

1. the whole amount

2. A quanity obtained by addition.

115448[/snapback]

Here is another definition for you:

dumb@$$, redneck, loser = UAT fan

You have failed to acknowledge, although you know I am right, that when every defensive statistic is taken into account, UAT does not have the #1 defense in the country. I am not talking just about yards allowed and scoring. Go back to the website, that was linked earlier, and see (AGAIN) for yourself.

Archived