New Williams and Danjel Purifoy

Turd Ferguson

From Bryan Matthews:

Bruce Pearl expects Danjel Purifoy decision eligibility by end of year. ACT score flagged ($) bit.ly/1OigCJq

Jason Caldwell says :

Pearl says they expect Danjel Purifoy's situation to be resolved by the end of the calendar year. Either cleared or partial qualifier

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No December 15th? It appears that college grades and ACT scores have nothing to do with each other, which makes perfect sense. We should all file this tid-bit of info away in case it's needed in future years.

From Bryan Matthews:

Bruce Pearl expects Danjel Purifoy decision eligibility by end of year. ACT score flagged ($) bit.ly/1OigCJq

Jason Caldwell says :

Pearl says they expect Danjel Purifoy's situation to be resolved by the end of the calendar year. Either cleared or partial qualifier

What would the next process/result be if Purifoy is declared a partial qualifier?

From Bryan Matthews:

Jason Caldwell says :

What would the next process/result be if Purifoy is declared a partial qualifier?

He can only practice with the team for the remainder of the season and be completely eligible next year IIRC.

From Bryan Matthews:

Jason Caldwell says :

He can only practice with the team for the remainder of the season and be completely eligible next year IIRC.

Isn't he practicing with the team now. I don't believe he's traveling to road games, but he is on the bench at home games.

From Bryan Matthews:

Jason Caldwell says :

Isn't he practicing with the team now. I don't believe he's traveling to road games, but he is on the bench at home games.

Yeah I think he is practicing with us now. And he is still on scholarship for that matter. I think the point in calling him a partial qualifier is that it's not like he has to go juco or leave school or anything like that.

Edit: As a partial qualifier, you:

Can practice with your team at its home facility during your first year of college;

Can receive athletically related financial aid during your first year of college;

Cannot compete during your first year of college; and

Can play four seasons in your sport if you maintain your eligibility from year to year.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/resources/division-ii-initial-eligibility-toolkit

I have noticed Coach Pearl mentioning DP during comments about playing short handed. Has anyone else noticed this? Seems like Coach Pearl is forcing the issue somewhat.

I think it's only natural for a coach too see a really good player he can't use and think what if. Gotta be frustrating as hell. And with the ruling coming soon it's on everyone's mind.

High praise for a guy who hasn't stepped foot on a college floor. Plus he doesn't add size which AU desperately needs.

I don't get the notion that we're in desperate need of size. Two of our biggest contributors are 6'9 and 6'10, and we have a big bodied 6'7 PF who rebounds strong. We don't lack in size I don't think. I think we just lack in experience playing together right now. In terms of team chemistry, this is a rather young team that is 5-2 with wins over UAB, Coastal Carolina, and Mercer, 3 mid- major tournament teams. This team also has only lost to Colorado, and really should have won that game, and against MTSU after a week and a half off of basketball, on a foreign court, after finals. This teams problem, when it arises, is just not making the best decision at the best time, and that has to do with team chemistry. I think this team is better than a lot of folks think. I think Pearl had a good group of guys that are going to be battle tested come SEC play. I think Pearl has done a fantastic job with scheduling. Playing a lot of these schools that are mid-major tournament teams, then playing large scale major tournament teams, like Xavier, Colorado, Hawaii Tournament... It's going to really prepare this team. I really believe that when the SEC gauntlet comes, Auburn is going to be ready to beat a lot of teams that people don't think they can.

It's December 15th.

And beyond. :) If what we've been led to believe, that the ACT people are the holdup is true, then Dec. 15th never had anything to do with it. Apparently the ACT people will make their determination when they make it. I don't see how anyone can know a date for that happening.

High praise for a guy who hasn't stepped foot on a college floor. Plus he doesn't add size which AU desperately needs.

I don't get the notion that we're in desperate need of size. Two of our biggest contributors are 6'9 and 6'10, and we have a big bodied 6'7 PF who rebounds strong. We don't lack in size I don't think. I think we just lack in experience playing together right now. In terms of team chemistry, this is a rather young team that is 5-2 with wins over UAB, Coastal Carolina, and Mercer, 3 mid- major tournament teams. This team also has only lost to Colorado, and really should have won that game, and against MTSU after a week and a half off of basketball, on a foreign court, after finals. This teams problem, when it arises, is just not making the best decision at the best time, and that has to do with team chemistry. I think this team is better than a lot of folks think. I think Pearl had a good group of guys that are going to be battle tested come SEC play. I think Pearl has done a fantastic job with scheduling. Playing a lot of these schools that are mid-major tournament teams, then playing large scale major tournament teams, like Xavier, Colorado, Hawaii Tournament... It's going to really prepare this team. I really believe that when the SEC gauntlet comes, Auburn is going to be ready to beat a lot of teams that people don't think they can.

"Foreign court"?

"Foreign court"?

Your honor.... Sir, I slam a bad hi jab! ...sir

"Foreign court"?

Your honor.... Sir, I slam a bad hi jab! ...sir

My name is Inigo Montoya, you kill my father, prepare to die!

It's December 15th.

And beyond. :)/> If what we've been led to believe, that the ACT people are the holdup is true, then Dec. 15th never had anything to do with it. Apparently the ACT people will make their determination when they make it. I don't see how anyone can know a date for that happening.

I think it's deplorable to take this long to make a determination. What more info could they possibly still be collecting? This seems like the type of group that holds themselves above everyone else and don't care how they affect anyone else. They surely have had all the info they needed to make this decision for a long time now yet they are treating it like a murder case while the defendant rots in jail awaiting trial. They should be given a time frame to operate and if they don't have proof by then of wrong doing they have to approve the student/players status. This is absolutely ridiculous. If there is enough evidence to warrant severe speculation, just require him to take the damn thing again. Problem solved.

It's December 15th.

And beyond. :)/> If what we've been led to believe, that the ACT people are the holdup is true, then Dec. 15th never had anything to do with it. Apparently the ACT people will make their determination when they make it. I don't see how anyone can know a date for that happening.

I think it's deplorable to take this long to make a determination. What more info could they possibly still be collecting? This seems like the type of group that holds themselves above everyone else and don't care how they affect anyone else. They surely have had all the info they needed to make this decision for a long time now yet they are treating it like a murder case while the defendant rots in jail awaiting trial. They should be given a time frame to operate and if they don't have proof by then of wrong doing they have to approve the student/players status. This is absolutely ridiculous. If there is enough evidence to warrant severe speculation, just require him to take the damn thing again. Problem solved.

While I agree with you, I imagine their excuse would be "We have 26,000 cases and two investigators. We'll get to it as soon as we can."

It's December 15th.

I agree with your solution to solve the problem. I wholeheartedly believe that it is damn near impossible to make irregular jumps in the ACT without cheating but I know many on here think that just maybe he didn't take the first ACT serious. Simply retaking the test again would determine whether the first or the second test is the irregular test score. My brief internet search on the subject showed that some people with flagged ACT scores were offered a free shot at retaking the test to settle the issue. One student with an ACT jump of 14 to 25 was allowed to take the test again and all he had to make was a 22 or better for the 25 to stand.

But the question is what happens if Purifoy retakes the test and his scores are closer to his first scores.

It's December 15th.

I agree with your solution to solve the problem. I wholeheartedly believe that it is damn near impossible to make irregular jumps in the ACT without cheating but I know many on here think that just maybe he didn't take the first ACT serious. Simply retaking the test again would determine whether the first or the second test is the irregular test score. My brief internet search on the subject showed that some people with flagged ACT scores were offered a free shot at retaking the test to settle the issue. One student with an ACT jump of 14 to 25 was allowed to take the test again and all he had to make was a 22 or better for the 25 to stand.

But the question is what happens if Purifoy retakes the test and his scores are closer to his first scores.

Then he doesn't qualify. We don't know what the jump was. What if it was a 2 to a 16? The ACT isn't a joke of a test, but I am sure they don't have a lot of cases where big jumps are made. If you do poorly the first time, you are likely to do poorly the next time unless you devote a lot of time preparing. We don't know how much time transpired between tests or what efforts (prep courses, tutoring, better guessing) he undertook to improve, if any. If I had to guess, they want to get his first semester grades back and review how he did to see if he's truly ready for college. They really don't give a rip about him playing basketball, they care about the integrity of their test and its ability to determine and individual's intelligence level and their readiness for college.

It's December 15th.

Then he doesn't qualify. We don't know what the jump was. What if it was a 2 to a 16? The ACT isn't a joke of a test, but I am sure they don't have a lot of cases where big jumps are made. If you do poorly the first time, you are likely to do poorly the next time unless you devote a lot of time preparing. We don't know how much time transpired between tests or what efforts (prep courses, tutoring, better guessing) he undertook to improve, if any. If I had to guess, they want to get his first semester grades back and review how he did to see if he's truly ready for college. They really don't give a rip about him playing basketball, they care about the integrity of their test and its ability to determine and individual's intelligence level and their readiness for college.

If I remember correctly, the lowest ACT score is an eleven. And you're exactly right that the ACT doesn't give a rip about his playing eligibility. You also accurately repeated my own thoughts that big jumps on the ACT are IRREGULAR. The average jump is between 1-2 points. Like I said, if he did the prep class work or learned "how to better guess", he could retake the test and make closer to the second score, right?

It sounds like he didn't opt to take it a third time to prove the second was legit. If so, it sounds like the ACT folks made a decision-- they're not buying the second test-- and Auburn is trying to get them to reconsider. I don't blame ACT based on what is publicly known at this point.

It's December 15th.

If I remember correctly, the lowest ACT score is an eleven. And you're exactly right that the ACT doesn't give a rip about his playing eligibility. You also accurately repeated my own thoughts that big jumps on the ACT are IRREGULAR. The average jump is between 1-2 points. Like I said, if he did the prep class work or learned "how to better guess", he could retake the test and make closer to the second score, right?

I'm glad I could accurately repeat you. If only Dan could do the same on his ACT...

It's December 15th.

While I agree with you, I imagine their excuse would be "We have 26,000 cases and two investigators. We'll get to it as soon as we can."

If they are unable to afford proper staffing, then they should be either removed or replaced. Surely they are connected to the NCAA somehow and there is plenty of money in the NCAA to pay for a staff to verify fraud cases (should be a pretty important issue)

It's December 15th.

If they are unable to afford proper staffing, then they should be either removed or replaced. Surely they are connected to the NCAA somehow and there is plenty of money in the NCAA to pay for a staff to verify fraud cases (should be a pretty important issue)

There is no direct connection that I'm aware of. They probably have good reason to not validate the score. Auburn is looking for an exception. There may not be a good reason to grant one.

I don't know of any connection. Every high school student in the US takes the ACT or some similar test. Their scores help determine what colleges they may be accepted into. That this affects athletics is a by-product that the ACT does not care about. Potential college athletes are probably less than 1% of the kids that take their tests.

Archived