New Williams and Danjel Purifoy

Turd Ferguson

If he hasn't been cleared yet, I have serious doubts he ever plays at AU

No he will play for Auburn at some time. There are only two possible outcomes from the ACT decision: he qualifies, or he partially qualifies. He will remain at Auburn regardless. The question is whether he will play this year or next year.

And if they decide something is off in his ACT score, wouldn't that make him ineligible?

I think they can invalidate w/o finding fault.

Would that not also mean he is ineligible until retaking?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My cousin who plays for Tennessee was ruled ineligible but he's taking classes and made very good grades this past semester. There doesn't appear to be any doubt from anybody about him playing next year. But I do understand every situation is different I'm just saying right now I have a up close view of how this work somewhat from a decent D1 SEC school.

If he hasn't been cleared yet, I have serious doubts he ever plays at AU

No he will play for Auburn at some time. There are only two possible outcomes from the ACT decision: he qualifies, or he partially qualifies. He will remain at Auburn regardless. The question is whether he will play this year or next year.

And if they decide something is off in his ACT score, wouldn't that make him ineligible?

I think they can invalidate w/o finding fault.

Would that not also mean he is ineligible until retaking?

Bruce has said, at a minimum, he'll be a partial qualifier.

One day the realization will finally set in that great ACT and SAT scores prove little in the outcome of a student. Some people just have issues with taking tests like that but do well in the classroom.

One day the realization will finally set in that great ACT and SAT scores prove little in the outcome of a student. Some people just have issues with taking tests like that but do well in the classroom.

I don't know that the ACT can accurately predict the outcomes and you're right people can do well with low ACT scores. GPA numbers can easily be inflated though so obviously an objective testing service has to be used for admissions purposes.

They're not perfect, but they are actually solid predictors.

My cousin who plays for Tennessee was ruled ineligible but he's taking classes and made very good grades this past semester. There doesn't appear to be any doubt from anybody about him playing next year. But I do understand every situation is different I'm just saying right now I have a up close view of how this work somewhat from a decent D1 SEC school.

So this situation basically implies he is a partial qualifier who's grades in year 1 will be what gets him cleared for year 2 to be eligible? I'd love it if Purifoy plays next year in similar fashion, but not getting my hopes up.

I wasn't one of them (scored 1160 on the SAT in 1989) but I know a lot of people who never took the SAT/ACT, went to a community college/tech school and graduated with honors at Clemson, UNC-Chapel Hill, USCe, USC Upstate and UGA. I believe the GPA and the course work tell more than a test that generates a lot of money or those two testing agencies.

I wasn't one of them (scored 1160 on the SAT in 1989) but I know a lot of people who never took the SAT/ACT, went to a community college/tech school and graduated with honors at Clemson, UNC-Chapel Hill, USCe, USC Upstate and UGA. I believe the GPA and the course work tell more than a test that generates a lot of money or those two testing agencies.

The test doesn't measure drive, discipline and work ethic-- and those go a long way.

The test doesn't measure drive, discipline and work ethic-- and those go a long way.

Exactly. Like a professor said though, if a student makes a 35, the course work will not be as strenuous as it would for a student with a 21. Study times are usually longer and reading times are often longer because the content is more difficult to read and analyze for the student with a 21. Students with far less than a 21 have done well in some careers, maybe not med shool or law school, but in other respectable careers because of their drive, work ethic, etc.

Agreed, which is why I think it is overrated. I believe the tests are given way too much weight.

Exactly. Like a professor said though, if a student makes a 35, the course work will not be as strenuous as it would for a student with a 21. Study times are usually longer and reading times are often longer because the content is more difficult to read and analyze for the student with a 21. Students with far less than a 21 have done well in some careers, maybe not med shool or law school, but in other respectable careers because of their drive, work ethic, etc.

If you don't have drive, work ethic etc. I don't want you performing surgery on me or representing me in court. ;) LOL

So this situation basically implies he is a partial qualifier who's grades in year 1 will be what gets him cleared for year 2 to be eligible? I'd love it if Purifoy plays next year in similar fashion, but not getting my hopes up.

If one looks back far enough in Purifoy's recruitment thread, AU64 and I both expressed doubts as to whether he'd ever play for Auburn. That was either before or soon after he signed with us. I still have hopes, as I didn't expect him to get into school at all so he's ahead of where I thought he'd be. However, hopes of him playing are all I have. That's hopes, not expectations.

He recently said he expect to know something by the end of this month

^^^^ this ^^^^

http://www.oanow.com from 31st

Three weeks after Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl said he was anticipating the issues surrounding Purifoy’s eligibility to be resolved by New Year’s Day, Pearl said there it still no resolution on the former four-star guard/forward’s status

“It’s still out there and it’s still an ongoing process,” Pearl said Thursday. “We do expect some finality sometime in January.”

One key indicator is how he did in school in his first semester. If he did well I would expect him to continue working hard and play for us next year. If he didn't do well then we might not see him even if they give him the go ahead this month. If he did well and they give him the go ahead we will see him in a couple of weeks.

This has gone on far long enough. This had been going on far long enough in November. It's comical now. If an organization takes 5 MONTHS to make 1 decision on an investigation, there is something WRONG. When I took my ACTs, I went up a full 5 points from 1 test to another one time, and then went up 4 MORE points the next test. Why wasn't I flagged for it? Because I did my work and got my score. Now I can't say for certain what Purifoy did, but why is this an issue 5 months later? The ACT governing body has really lost a lot of respect from me in the day, but this seems to take the cake. Even if the guy is guilty of something, why does it take this long to make a ruling? I'm tired of the snail-paced red tape that goes on with this kind of stuff. Make a decision on Purifoy and let that be that.

I just think the folks at the ACT could care less about a jock trying to get on the court. I wonder if there's a turd in their office? Lol

This has gone on far long enough. This had been going on far long enough in November. It's comical now. If an organization takes 5 MONTHS to make 1 decision on an investigation, there is something WRONG. When I took my ACTs, I went up a full 5 points from 1 test to another one time, and then went up 4 MORE points the next test. Why wasn't I flagged for it? Because I did my work and got my score. Now I can't say for certain what Purifoy did, but why is this an issue 5 months later? The ACT governing body has really lost a lot of respect from me in the day, but this seems to take the cake. Even if the guy is guilty of something, why does it take this long to make a ruling? I'm tired of the snail-paced red tape that goes on with this kind of stuff. Make a decision on Purifoy and let that be that.

If it wasn't for the fact that the Alabama media was controlled by bama grads, I'd be really surprised that there haven't been stories written about this. You'd think they would be all over a kid being jerked around for this long.

There is nothing irregular in a five point jump and then a four point jump later on. Most people don't have such jumps but it is still certainly possible. An 11 point jump at one sitting is a different story though and would be suspicious.

I also think it hasn't taken longer than necessary ...

But when it comes to stuff like this ... Purifoy was more than welcome to make a much higher score the first time or study his butt off and take it again and repeat his most recent score.

The minimum scores required for entrance into college and eligibility for sports is not over bearing.

Definitely sounds pretty sketchy to me. If he was confident in his score and that he prepared so well for the 2nd time he would've just taken it again, proven the score was legitimate, and been done with it.

Definitely sounds pretty sketchy to me. If he was confident in his score and that he prepared so well for the 2nd time he would've just taken it again, proven the score was legitimate, and been done with it.

Amen

Just curious of the rules but if he messes around the entire season and this grade thing is unresolved, would he be available for NBA either by his age or by the amount of time out of HS?

If he is as good as advertised, seems he would wise to take a shot at Europe or one of the NBA development leagues.

Yup, you just have to be 1 year removed from HS to declare for the NBA draft. He could've gone to Europe this season and been paid and actually got a chance to play and then come back for the NBA next year.

Yup, you just have to be 1 year removed from HS to declare for the NBA draft. He could've gone to Europe this season and been paid and actually got a chance to play and then come back for the NBA next year.

I can see why he might have decided to give it a try at AU this year ...close to home and BP being a good coach and all....but just wondering..... considering that has not worked out, whether he might take a look at Plan B.

And another question...if he stays after his first year "of college" can he still go anytime or would he have to stay until his junior year ?

The NBA rules as regards HS and college players is a bit confusing to me....never sure what's approved by the NCAA ...or by the NBA.

Archived