WCWS Finals vs. Oklahoma - Game 3

It's really frustrating when it was clear that AU had the better all-around team, player-for-player, but OU had one dominant pitcher whom they rode to the title. Game 2 was evident of how PARKER is the OU difference. She was 37-3 this season. Pitched every game in post-season except the one that they lost. They are not even in WCWS without that one pitcher.

So proud of our team! And excited about the culture Myers has created around AU softball. We are going back to the WCWS, but Cooper, Carosone, Howard, Rhodes will be sorely missed.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's really frustrating when it was clear that AU had the better all-around team, player-for-player, but OU had one dominant pitcher whom they rode to the title. Game 2 was evident of how PARKER is the OU difference. She was 37-3 this season. Pitched every game in post-season except the one that they lost. They are not even in WCWS without that one pitcher.

So proud of our team! And excited about the culture Myers has created around AU softball. We are going back to the WCWS, but Cooper, Carosone, Howard, Rhodes will be sorely missed.

I disagree. OU plays good defense and has outstanding hitting (# 6 nationally batting average). Parker was dominant, but she was just the icing on the cake.

The story here is how Auburn almost beat a team that was clearly better in most aspects. That's a credit to coaching and grit.

We just ran into a beast of a pitcher who beat everyone in her path.

I actually thought Martin out pitched her. The 2 runs were not her fault. Take nothing from Parker, the bats weren't good against her again. That's not a coincidence.

I thought she did too. I'll take that kind of pitching any day of the week. OKs two runs were unearned. Paige Parker will get all the credit but she was matched pitch for pitch by our freshman. Great job Makayla. See you next season!

:bananadance:

I disagree. OU plays good defense and has outstanding hitting (# 6 nationally batting average). Parker was dominant, but she was just the icing on the cake.

The story here is how Auburn almost beat a team that was clearly better in most aspects. That's a credit to coaching and grit.

Yep. From what I saw, OU went the hard way through the tournment. uat, Mich, LSU, then AU. All of which OU beat by 2 or more runs (granted they beat uat on a 3 run HR, but uat scored 0 runs). Not that AU had it easy, but OU was certainly the favorite, but AU gave them the series of a lifetime. The 2 best teams met in the finals and it came down to 1 run. It doesn't get any closer than that. And it's a credit to AU to have played them so tough, to two 1 run losses and (effectively) one 1 run win (yeah, it was a grand slam, but hopefully you all get my point).

And this isn't a fluke, I have all the confidence in the world that as long as Clint Myers is at the helm, AU will continue to be at the top of the SEC.

Yep. From what I saw, OU went the hard way through the tournment. uat, Mich, LSU, then AU. All of which OU beat by 2 or more runs (granted they beat uat on a 3 run HR, but uat scored 0 runs). Not that AU had it easy, but OU was certainly the favorite, but AU gave them the series of a lifetime. The 2 best teams met in the finals and it came down to 1 run. It doesn't get any closer than that. And it's a credit to AU to have played them so tough, to two 1 run losses and (effectively) one 1 run win (yeah, it was a grand slam, but hopefully you all get my point).

And this isn't a fluke, I have all the confidence in the world that as long as Clint Myers is at the helm, AU will continue to be at the top of the SEC.

Well, hopefully we get a few more years out of Clint. E seems to think he could retire pretty soon...

whatever...all I am saying is this: If OU is sans Parker, we are probably play Michigan for the title. But, alas, they weren't without her.

Only advantage that OU had in my view was the hitting from #5 through the bottom of the order. There was never a break for the AU pitchers. AND YET....Lexi and Rachel and Kaylee all held them in check.

AU defense let the pitchers down a bit but I have to say that as good a pitcher as Parker showed herself to be, I would not trade her for Martin....period.

AU got a lot of scoring mileage out of just a few hitters....and wondering what things will look like with Carosone gone. I think we can deal better with the loss of the senior pitchers but we will need to find more offense next season.

whatever...all I am saying is this: If OU is sans Parker, we are probably play Michigan for the title. But, alas, they weren't without her.

You are wrong and you should be ashamed!! :P

I do agree there. They needed Parker, like AU needed Cam. He was surrounded by good players, like Parker, but they weren't a NC team without Cam. She made them better just because they truly believed in her. Every batter was above .300 for the season. I would probably take OU's infield over AU's, but AU's outfield by a LONG stretch. Pitching past Parker, AU has the advantage, but with Parker, they were kinda better. I say kinda because I thought Martin pitched a better game. Fewer pitches (through 6, 7th doesn't count since only Parker pitch the seventh), and I think both runs were unearned. I'd have to check that. I know for sure one of them was.

If AU gets to extra innings, I believe they win. Parker was at 104 pitches at the end of the game. If she faces the top of the order again, I would bet money AU scores a couple. That's how close this game was in my biased, unprofessional opinion.

is there a welcome gathering planned.?

Oh well. Defense still wins championships. Anyone else notice the AU crowd was silent while the OU crowd was wild in the last inning? That was disheartening.

Didn't see anything like that....AU crowd was with the team the entire way.....but maybe the fact that the game was in Oklahoma where about 90 % of the crowd was for the Sooners might have been a factor. AU fans did a great job .....sorry to see this kind of comment.

They didn't show the AU crowd once after the 5th that I can recall. I can guarantee you they were getting after it. No one who watches this team believes they are ever out of it.

I was at the game last evening. I had previously attended the Georgia and FSU games during the weekend. After the incredible game 2 victory I decided to take Wednesday off and make the 7 hour round trip drive from Dallas to support our ladies in the championship game. They've more than earned complete support from the entire Auburn family.

The crowd last night was probably 90% Oklahoma. Our fans cheered continuously from first pitch to the last out. Aubie and another flamboyant Auburn fan, who had been there for the entire tournament, did an outstanding job leading the AU faithful. The problem was that most times we would simply get drowned out by the opposing fans. This was especially true late in the game when their fan base started to anticipate a victory. Auburn fans did a fantastic job but were just drastically out numbered.

On a separate note I was disappointed in the vibes I got from Sooner fans. They came off to me as arrogant and entitled. None of them made any directly negative or disparaging remarks but I was disappointed that not even one of them extended any good will after such a classic series. Not a peep from anyone at the stadium after the game, leaving the stadium, on the shuttle bus, or at a restaurant afterwards. Maybe being an Auburn alum I expect too much because we've set the bar so high. Our culture and family atmosphere is truly special and rivaled by few others.

Congrats to our Lady Tigers on an outstanding season. They are true champions and have given all that have followed them some incredible moments that will never be forgotten. Can't wait to see them on the field again next season.

War Eagle,

Jim

Oh well. Defense still wins championships. Anyone else notice the AU crowd was silent while the OU crowd was wild in the last inning? That was disheartening.

Didn't see anything like that....AU crowd was with the team the entire way.....but maybe the fact that the game was in Oklahoma where about 90 % of the crowd was for the Sooners might have been a factor. AU fans did a great job .....sorry to see this kind of comment.

They didn't show the AU crowd once after the 5th that I can recall. I can guarantee you they were getting after it. No one who watches this team believes they are ever out of it.

I was at the game last evening. I had previously attended the Georgia and FSU games during the weekend. After the incredible game 2 victory I decided to take Wednesday off and make the 7 hour round trip drive from Dallas to support our ladies in the championship game. They've more than earned complete support from the entire Auburn family.

The crowd last night was probably 90% Oklahoma. Our fans cheered continuously from first pitch to the last out. Aubie and another flamboyant Auburn fan, who had been there for the entire tournament, did an outstanding job leading the AU faithful. The problem was that most times we would simply get drowned out by the opposing fans. This was especially true late in the game when their fan base started to anticipate a victory. Auburn fans did a fantastic job but were just drastically out numbered.

On a separate note I was disappointed in the vibes I got from Sooner fans. They came off to me as arrogant and entitled. None of them made any directly negative or disparaging remarks but I was disappointed that not even one of them extended any good will after such a classic series. Not a peep from anyone at the stadium after the game, leaving the stadium, on the shuttle bus, or at a restaurant afterwards. Maybe being an Auburn alum I expect too much because we've set the bar so high. Our culture and family atmosphere is truly special and rivaled by few others.

Congrats to our Lady Tigers on an outstanding season. They are true champions and have given all that have followed them some incredible moments that will never be forgotten. Can't wait to see them on the field again next season.

War Eagle,

Jim

Wow, I totally misjudge the crowd shots then. I thought it was 64/40 or maybe 70/30. Playing that series in OKC is a HUGE benefit to OU. It's a 30-40 min drive. It was basically a home game for them. It's not like OU paid the NCAA to make it that way, it's just a lucky break for them. But it was far from a "neutral site".

War Eagle,

Jim

My first interaction with them was before, during and after the 1972 Sugar Bowl. Apparently they haven't changed a bit in 44 years.

Cooper is a JUNIOR. She'll be back next year.

I don't agree with that last statement at all. Yes, Oklahoma is great defensively, but their "outstanding" hitting, didn't really do much except for 1 inning against us. It's my belief that the hitting average being high was a by-product of the competition they faced all season. They don't exactly play in a stellar conference for softball. Auburn plays in the best conference in the country for Women's Softball, as was evident by have 4 of the 8 teams in the WCWS.

In game 1, OU had 7 hits and only 3 runs

In game 2, OU had 10 hits and 7 runs (6 of those hits and all of those runs happened in the first 2 innings. very little after the 2nd inning)

In game 3, OU had 5 hits and 2 runs (both unearned, and not the result of this outstanding hitting)

OU didn't score 1 run after the 3rd inning in any of the 3 games vs. Auburn. Our pitching particularly Lexi Davis in game 1 and Martin in game 3 matched their "ace" pitch for pitch.

Player for Player Auburn is every bit as good as Oklahoma and better at some spots

W – T, maybe I was just falling victim to the pregame hype but I have to say that no matter who was at the plate for Oklahoma, they looked dangerous and everyone on that team had some serious offensive firepower. Our team on the other hand, when we got to the bottom of the lineup , we were just waiting to get past those batter so we could get back to Howard and the rest of the big four.

Our pitchers did a tremendous job holding the entire Oklahoma batting order down. . Parker had the easier time of it and only had to really bear down on 4 or 5 Auburn hitters....and mostly she breezed through the bottom of our order. No matter the quality of play Oklahoma faced, the bottom of our batting order was no match for her.

In any case we have a lot of our offense to replace for next season but I feel good about the pitching.

Archived