ellitor

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Who is Oliver comparable to? 

He isn't a downfield WR.

He is a 4.65 route runner.

Why are we comparing him at all? There's no one on the team he's comparable to... Hastings isn't the guy. Just interesting that multiple AU boards are all having the same problem with people comparing the two... 

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Why are we comparing him at all?

Generally, we compare recruits to current or former players if we can. 

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Hastings isn't the guy.

Who is? Both are short and slow route runners that are also white. Hate to break it to you, but Oliver's game is tmore comparable to Hastings than to other receivers on our team like Stove or Kyle Davis. For one, Oliver is a possession receiver, so that eliminates Davis and half the receivers on our roster, and he isn't as athletic as Stove. 

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Let's stop this silliness and focus on Martin's actual recruitment.

Shocking

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I know right!

Just so we are clear, what exactly is shocking? I held an opinion and someone implied I was being racist. And then I notified the most reasonable mod on the board on top of that. 

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Let's stop this silliness and focus on Martin's actual recruitment.

Thank you! 

Martin was at the top of our list for the tough, scrappy, high motor, high football IQ, big heart, not-that-athletic-but-has-all-the-intangibles, comes from a good family, well spoken, great locker room guy role, so this is a huge pickup.

:bananadance:

(I heard a similar bit on sports radio here in Atlanta. The black guys laughed, the white guys laughed, it was beautiful. I'm hoping to join hands across the aisle in this thread with humor. I don't anticipate success, but I made me laugh.)

He plays fast on the field, he is a football player with a high football IQ, not a 7 on 7 track athlete.  He creates separation by running clean routes, good fakes and cleanly catching a ball.  He got Duke Williams on field ability minus being Duke WIlliams, IMO.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you! 

Martin was at the top of our list for the tough, scrappy, high motor, high football IQ, big heart, not-that-athletic-but-has-all-the-intangibles, comes from a good family, well spoken, great locker room guy role, so this is a huge pickup.

Now that's funny!

5 hours ago, oracle79 said:

You're saying we have someone slower and shorter on the team that played this year that I should have picked?  Nice bait though.

You do know that Hastings is actually one of the quickest players on the team, right?

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

You do know that Hastings is actually one of the quickest players on the team, right?

Yeah in a three cone drill. He won't blow by anybody though. He isn't a deep threat. Oracle's post isn't wrong at all.

That's a fast shuttle time. Come on down to family in the land of real football, Oliver - just look what the very average (by SEC standards) Gators did to the Hawkeyes last month. 

Not sure why this is being discussed.  Probably less than 1% chance the kid signs with Auburn. Even less after reading or hearing about some of the comments by so called fans. Put me in the group that hopes Martin visits AU.  Will be good experience for him and our program.

21 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Because they're comparable. 

Oliver has 4-5+ inches on Hastings and isn't a walk-on backup kicker.  Explain to me how exactly they are comparable?

Just now, metafour said:

Oliver has 4-5+ inches on Hastings and isn't a walk-on backup kicker.  Explain to me how exactly they are comparable?

Correction: more comparable. And I already did. 

Delight yourself in yesterday's posts, hun.

By the way; the fact that Oliver supposedly only runs a "4.65" only matters if you actually believe that every other HS kid who reports a "4.4" is telling the truth (hint: they aren't).  A reported 4.65 does not mean that he can not run down the field, nor does it limit them to "possession receiver" status.  That is absurd. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Correction: more comparable. And I already did. 

Delight yourself in yesterday's posts, hun.

Oliver is as comparable to Tony Stevens as he is to Will Hastings, dumba$$.

Just LMFAO @ comparing some 5'7 scrub to a ~6'0 kid and then claiming it has nothing to do with skin color.  If Oliver were black with the exact same traits (same height, same reported speed, same tape) there would be zero chance in hell that you (or anyone else) would ever bring up Hastings' name in the same sentence.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

By the way; the fact that Oliver supposedly only runs a "4.65" only matters if you actually believe that every other HS kid who reports a "4.4" is telling the truth (hint: they aren't).  A reported 4.65 does not mean that he can not run down the field, nor does it limit them to "possession receiver" status.  That is absurd. 

Says the person who pointed out that Duke was slow in the forty and the biggest bust in auburn history

And I reject the notion that Oliver is four to five inches taller. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Says the person who pointed out that Duke was slow in the forty and the biggest bust in auburn history

A 4.65 for a HS kid is not slow.

Duke was 4.72 as a grown-ass man who had spent how many years in a collegiate S&C program?

See the difference?

Archived