2017 4* WR Oliver Martin

ellitor

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Is this kid even going to visit AU? Don't think he is. 

Says the 20th is likely but we'll see.

18 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I think renfroe and leggett proved the value of shallow crossing routes making LBs play in space and make choices of what to do 

Bingo !!!!, you have touched on something very critical to loosening up the front seven in order to free up some running lanes. Keeping those LBs on their heels, not knowing what is coming next is the key to moving the ball, consistently. Good post coachjay

57 minutes ago, auol72 said:

I think Renfroe last night prooved beyond any doubt the value of a slow, steady, sure handed, precise route running wr, agreed?

The value is 10 out of 10. Has always been that way. Possession receivers move the chains. Being relegated to one isn't a knock at all.

You can't have all possession receivers though. Urban Meyer went through the "speed kills" phase during the tail end of his Florida duration and ended up with a bunch of small receivers that couldn't take the top of the defense. There has to be a right blend. Renfrow wouldn't have near the success that he had without Cain or Mike Williams.

No one has ever suggested that you want all small slow receivers.  Clemson has (had) a perfect blend with different skill sets including an athletic TE. And a QB who mixed it up and spread it around which you have to do to defeat a team like UAT. By the way Renfrow appears to be very quick with deceptive speed and kept Tide's all world LBs on their heels. Williams has incredible leaping ability but it is the timing of his leaps that sets him apart.  Our guys often jump too early.

13 minutes ago, autan said:

No one has ever suggested that you want all small slow receivers.  Clemson has (had) a perfect blend with different skill sets including an athletic TE. And a QB who mixed it up and spread it around which you have to do to defeat a team like UAT. By the way Renfrow appears to be very quick with deceptive speed and kept Tide's all world LBs on their heels. Williams has incredible leaping ability but it is the timing of his leaps that sets him apart.  Our guys often jump too early.

And Leggit ain't small FTR.

And it helps to have an ALL American QB with great accuracy to throw to any receiver. 

It is also up to the Coach calling the plays to use these type WRs. Marcus Davis was this type, but for some reason he struggled mentally early in the season catching the ball, and later ofc got hurt. 

You can use the passing game to mirror your running game with quick screens, slants, etc.. but your offensive philosophy has to have this. You jsut want manageable 2nd and 3rd downs for your QB...we didn't.

I'm wondering more and more why a top WR would sniff Auburn. Same thing for TE. It baffles me how little passing we do. Hopefully that changes this upcoming year. 

2 hours ago, autan said:

Clemson has (had) a perfect blend with different skill sets including an athletic TE. And a QB who mixed it up and spread it around which you have to do to defeat a team like UAT

That's right. DW being a dual threat also obviously helps too. Pretty revealing that the recent teams that have beat Bama all had dual threat guys. Cam, Nick Mar

Not implying anybody was advocating for all smaller receivers. I was pointing out the error in having all possession receivers.  

18 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

That's right. DW being a dual threat also obviously helps too. Pretty revealing that the recent teams that have beat Bama all had dual threat guys. Cam, Nick Mar

Not implying anybody was advocating for all smaller receivers. I was pointing out the error in having all possession receivers.  

This just in, Saban petitions NCAA to ban dual threat QB's.  QB's are now not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage with the ball in their hands...in the interest of player safety.

36 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

This just in, Saban petitions NCAA to ban dual threat QB's.  QB's are now not allowed to cross the line of scrimmage with the ball in their hands...in the interest of player safety.

LOL! 

On two of Clemson TD passes one to Renfroe there were obvious picks. I saw Saban running down the field complaining and I got a big laugh out of it as that pick play comes right out of the bama play book they have been doing it for years.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What really jumps out at me is how elusive he is in the open field. 

Image result for charles dickens oliver twist

out of likes but this made me laugh

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Was wondering who the first poster would be to use this.......................

On January 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

On January 10, 2017 at 9:02 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

WDEWDE: for the love of all that is good in this world I'm begging...PLEASE drop that gif of break-dancing Gus. I almost can't lurk this board for fear of seeing that damn thing, lol.

Living I north now this kid exploded in July. 1st measurables are ELITE. He participated at Nike Opening Finals and Army Bowl , two top 100 events.  His Elec. 4.57 at Opening is not tops but it's a hand held 4.37. VJ 41.5"! BJ 10'10"! Pro Agility at some camps was 4.0 or sub 4.  At Opening he slipped twice,and still hit 4.14 his overall Nike Performance Score was 12th best in Nation.

To go from unknow to invited to Opening Finals in a month is crazy bc he had to prove it twice as often. He's a 5star athlete and has now shown twice vs. too comp he's a 5 star WR.  

If tou want a shot I would avoid marginal and avoid Rivals rankings. 247 has had his as #67 overall prospect #10 WR and 4star since July. Scout 4 Star since July. Espn 4star. 

He led the Opening Finals 7 on 7 tourney in rec. And was 1st team all atar

He play a LOT wherever he goes as a True FR. There you tube video of him hang cleaning335x3 before JR season.  41.5"...10'10" best hands I've ever seen in HS.  Not marginal. Elite!!  

My team has no shot. If you do you will really hope land him.   

2 minutes ago, PigSooie said:

Living I north now this kid exploded in July. 1st measurables are ELITE. He participated at Nike Opening Finals and Army Bowl , two top 100 events.  His Elec. 4.57 at Opening is not tops but it's a hand held 4.37. VJ 41.5"! BJ 10'10"! Pro Agility at some camps was 4.0 or sub 4.  At Opening he slipped twice,and still hit 4.14 his overall Nike Performance Score was 12th best in Nation.

To go from unknow to invited to Opening Finals in a month is crazy bc he had to prove it twice as often. He's a 5star athlete and has now shown twice vs. too comp he's a 5 star WR.  

If tou want a shot I would avoid marginal and avoid Rivals rankings. 247 has had his as #67 overall prospect #10 WR and 4star since July. Scout 4 Star since July. Espn 4star. 

He led the Opening Finals 7 on 7 tourney in rec. And was 1st team all atar

He play a LOT wherever he goes as a True FR. There you tube video of him hang cleaning335x3 before JR season.  41.5"...10'10" best hands I've ever seen in HS.  Not marginal. Elite!!  

My team has no shot. If you do you will really hope land him.   

Thank you for the breakdown Pig & Welcome to the board!

1 minute ago, autan said:

I had already penciled him in as ND commit but maybe Martin has been looking at weather reports.

Kodi has apparently made an impression but still gotta get him on campus.

Archived