Michigan State - Warrants Sought for Football Players - Sexual Assault Allegations

aufan57

Update: Michigan State police have requested arrest warrants from the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office for the three still-unnamed players involved in the sexual assault allegations. In addition to being suspended from all team activities, the three have also been removed from student housing. The Spartans suspended Curtis Blackwell, the program’s recruiting director, earlier this week in connection with this incident.

Michigan State is also holding a Title IX investigation and has hired an outside law firm to ensure the football staff followed all proper procedures in reporting and handling this incident.

The following statement was released by MSU athletic director Mark Hollis:

“The core values of MSU Athletics are clear, consistently communicated and non-negotiable. Among them are respect for self and others, accountability for actions and choices, and integrity. Sexual assault is unacceptable, and members of MSU Athletics who fail to uphold our standards for creating a culture that is safe, supportive, and responsive to those affected by it will be held accountable. My expectation of all members of the department is full and complete cooperation with all investigations.

We have a strong athletics program at MSU, one based on values, traditions, and an understanding that as Spartans we are part of something bigger. Our promise to current and future student-athletes and to the entire Spartan community is to take the steps necessary, based on the facts determined through thorough review, to run this program according to the highest values and standards.” 

Original story from Feb. 9: 

Michigan State has suspended three student-athletes linked to the football program while the school investigates sexual assault allegations.

No criminal charges have been filed, but the school said it is reviewing both the allegations and the response of a staff member following a sexual assault complaint made in late January.

“Sexual assault is unacceptable, and members of MSU Athletics who fail to uphold our standards for creating a culture that is safe, supportive, and responsive to those affected by it will be held accountable,” athletic director Mark Hollis said in a statement on Thursday. “My expectation of all members of the department is full and complete cooperation with all investigations.”

The school has not released the name of the players suspended or the staff members involved.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-state-police-want-arrest-warrants-for-players-in-sexual-assault-investigation/

Hopefully every player on every team who thinks that being a star athlete automatically turns "no" into "yes" is paying close attention to what's happening and thinks twice before taking advantage of the girls on their campus.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:26 PM, augolf1716 said:

Bad situation that hopefully/must get better

When players get to the NFL they have mandatory rookie meetings covering a variety of topics to help them acclimate to life outside college. 

Maybe we could use this model to help incoming athletes acclimate. 

I will use Football as an example. 

Tasking the Senior leadership to put together a program to be presented by them to incoming Freshmen and transfers can accomplish many things. 

Incoming players would be exsposed initially to the leaders of the team right away.  The point of the meeting would highlight issues in college sports, such as Baylor and Michigan State. I also think issues that have happened at Auburn should be discussed to show that no school even our own is immune. 

I think the leaders need to discuss the importance of taking care of each other. Not from the stand point of fighting, but de-escalating and removing from situations. How to the look at the big picture, the "TEAM FIRST" concept. 

I feel the first few times this is done the coaches and Title IX office could OFFER advice or some direction, but NOT actual involvement.  

The team leaders could use graphic design departments and other school resources to help them put together a sort of presentation. If that's how they want to engage the new players. 

In the past coaches have taken the new Seniors out to such places as San Diego, CA to work with USN Seals on leadership. 

I feel this could be a great tool not only for the new Seniors to take responsibility for the upcoming season, but also to engage the new players right off the start and show them that "Hey, we have culture where accountability is not just a primary focus on the football field, in the weight room, and in the classroom, but everywhere."

Now I don't think this needs to be a deep discusion meant to bypass any presentation or discusion by coaching staff, Title IX or Camp War Eagle...ETC....but peer too peer discusion does have a very good success rate. 

I have seen good success when you empower young people to take care and lead others.

On 2/18/2017 at 6:59 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

When players get to the NFL they have mandatory rookie meetings covering a variety of topics to help them acclimate to life outside college. 

Maybe we could use this model to help incoming athletes acclimate. 

I will use Football as an example. 

Tasking the Senior leadership to put together a program to be presented by them to incoming Freshmen and transfers can accomplish many things. 

Incoming players would be exsposed initially to the leaders of the team right away.  The point of the meeting would highlight issues in college sports, such as Baylor and Michigan State. I also think issues that have happened at Auburn should be discussed to show that no school even our own is immune. 

I think the leaders need to discuss the importance of taking care of each other. Not from the stand point of fighting, but de-escalating and removing from situations. How to the look at the big picture, the "TEAM FIRST" concept. 

I feel the first few times this is done the coaches and Title IX office could OFFER advice or some direction, but NOT actual involvement.  

The team leaders could use graphic design departments and other school resources to help them put together a sort of presentation. If that's how they want to engage the new players. 

In the past coaches have taken the new Seniors out to such places as San Diego, CA to work with USN Seals on leadership. 

I feel this could be a great tool not only for the new Seniors to take responsibility for the upcoming season, but also to engage the new players right off the start and show them that "Hey, we have culture where accountability is not just a primary focus on the football field, in the weight room, and in the classroom, but everywhere."

Now I don't think this needs to be a deep discusion meant to bypass any presentation or discusion by coaching staff, Title IX or Camp War Eagle...ETC....but peer too peer discusion does have a very good success rate. 

I have seen good success when you empower young people to take care and lead others.

Excellent thoughts, Alaska. 

Archived