Jeremy Johnson: 'It was my fault' "UPDATED"

aubiefifty

12 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

We haven't consistently thrown the ball inside the red zone since Nick Marshall and even those were few and far between. CJ Uzomah and 2014 Duke Williams were the last true red zone receiving threats we had and Gus' playbook was already light on effective pass plays inside the 20s as it was. Tell me, when's the last time we ran a slant inside the 15? or a corner fade? Or ANY pass play inside the 15 that wasn't a bootleg?

Vs Louisville JJ threw one to Duke and actually the coaches ended up being pissed at him for throwing the pass. Which, funny enough, was complete and got us inside the 2 yard line

But in hindsight maybe they got pissed because it was the wrong throw/wrong read. I do remember it being in traffic somewhat but not 100% sure.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, alexava said:

I don't know that Dabo has his own scheme.  When he needed a OC he called Gus for recommendations. 

:laugh: Thanks man, I needed a laugh.

15 hours ago, alexava said:

I don't know that Dabo has his own scheme.  When he needed a OC he called Gus for recommendations. 

Gus would have been better served to load his platoon with those OC "recommendations" he was offering Dabo.  Maybe then Gus wouldn't find himself in a desperate position going into yr 5 of his AU HC career trying to save his own job while Dabo polishes his NC trophy.

20 minutes ago, 1911tiger said:

Am I the only one who thinks Dabo gets to polish that thing because Mr Watson chose Clemson instead of Auburn?

Watson was Clemson all of the way.  Dabo gets credit.  

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

:laugh: Thanks man, I needed a laugh.

Laughing? You do know Dabo asked Gus for advice on an oc? Gus sent longtime friend Chad Morris. Who left ...like year before last to SMU as HC. Give us Watson and that big wr and we swap places with them this past year. Dabo is obviously a good coach but offensive scheme genius he is not. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Gus would have been better served to load his platoon with those OC "recommendations" he was offering Dabo.  Maybe then Gus wouldn't find himself in a desperate position going into yr 5 of his AU HC career trying to save his own job while Dabo polishes his NC trophy.

Gus was th OC when this took place. He probably didn't have the authority to stockpile potential OCs for the event that he got a HC position then be hired back as HC in the coming years. That would take some serious crystal ballin to pull of. But obviously everything he does is wrong    . Hindsight be damn. 

Guest WarEagleSteve
8 hours ago, Tiger said:

Vs Louisville JJ threw one to Duke and actually the coaches ended up being pissed at him for throwing the pass. Which, funny enough, was complete and got us inside the 2 yard line

But in hindsight maybe they got pissed because it was the wrong throw/wrong read. I do remember it being in traffic somewhat but not 100% sure.

I think the fact that this particular pass play sticks out to you kind of makes my point. If running a fairly common pass concept sticks out because it never happens, that's usually a sign that something has gone awry. 

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Laughing? You do know Dabo asked Gus for advice on an oc? Gus sent longtime friend Chad Morris. Who left ...like year before last to SMU as HC. Give us Watson and that big wr and we swap places with them this past year. Dabo is obviously a good coach but offensive scheme genius he is not. 

Chad Morris wasn't the OC when they won the NC.  Again, thanks for the bigger laugh. :rollin:

14 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I think the fact that this particular pass play sticks out to you kind of makes my point. If running a fairly common pass concept sticks out because it never happens, that's usually a sign that something has gone awry. 

Sorry if I was misunderstood. I actually was agreeing with you and by singling out that ONE moment was to help make your point -- especially since it was 2 full seasons ago and in the very first game lol

14 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Sorry if I was misunderstood. I actually was agreeing with you and by singling out that ONE moment was to help make your point -- especially since it was 2 full seasons ago and in the very first game lol

FWIW, I interpreted both of your comments as you intended them. Good conversation. 

"Coming out of high school, I was coached, but I never had a quarterback coach," he said. "(At Auburn) the situation was what it was. ... I just need to be coached up a little more. Getting that chance to be with Jameis and Dak and coach Shaw, they taught me a lot. All I need to do is get into, whatever team picks me up, the right system, get behind a veteran."

Makes me shake my head. Reads to me as, "wow, there's a lot out there I was never being taught. I wish I would have been taught some of this stuff earlier." 

18 hours ago, keesler said:

This is about as fair of a statement on this board as I have seen.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, Barnacle said:

"Coming out of high school, I was coached, but I never had a quarterback coach," he said. "(At Auburn) the situation was what it was. ... I just need to be coached up a little more. Getting that chance to be with Jameis and Dak and coach Shaw, they taught me a lot. All I need to do is get into, whatever team picks me up, the right system, get behind a veteran."

Makes me shake my head. Reads to me as, "wow, there's a lot out there I was never being taught. I wish I would have been taught some of this stuff earlier." 

I know I'd be ticked off....cam pretty much said the same thing when he came out.....Idk

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I know I'd be ticked off....cam pretty much said the same thing when he came out.....Idk

Cole I/we haven't figured out your 2nd best quality yet, but your #1, best quality is: Consistency!

I think we are moving in the right direction in terms of coaching our QBs now with CCL on board. We were able to survive our lack of QB coaching but eventually we got exposed, which is no surprise at this level. But Gus recognized, or was pushed to recognize, this and made adjustments to the staff as needed. No matter how we got here, Gus agreed to make the changes.

I'm still weirdly embarrassed about Cam's Gruden QB Camp episode when Cam couldn't recite a single play call

AUBURN — After a career that never lived up to its pre-college hype, former Auburn quarterback Jeremy Johnson had a lot to run away from.

Whether it was how he lost the starting quarterback job in 2015 and never regained it or the way his senior year started when booed loudly at Jordan-Hare Stadium after a key interception against Clemson, Johnson and the Tigers never quite meshed.

This spring Johnson ran to Orlando hoping to fix himself physically and mentally as he prepares for a possible shot in a professional league somewhere.

“Coming out of high school, I was coached, but I never had a quarterback coach and (at Auburn) the situation was what it was,” Johnson said earlier this month. “I appreciate them for giving me the opportunity. I love Coach Malzahn and Coach Lashlee. They give me the opportunity and chance. I feel good where I’m at.”

In Orlando, Johnson met with private quarterback coach Tom Shaw, noted for working with some of the best quarterbacks currently in the National Football League including New England's Tom Brady and Tampa Bay's Jameis Winston. While at Shaw’s academy, which advertises it has worked with 11 Super Bowl MVP winners, 10 No. 1 overall draft picks and 145 first-round selections, Johnson tweaked his mechanics, including how he held the football.

“Coach Shaw taught me a different way of holding the ball, keeping space under the palm of my hand that changed the way the ball came out and as far as following through,” Johnson said.

Johnson’s grip was a major problem in 2015. It crested on a humid day at LSU when then-offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee reportedly ripped the gloves off his hands on a play in which the ball slipped out of his hands as he began his throwing motion. The backwards pass resulted in a significant loss and was made into a social media video. The 45-21 loss at LSU was Johnson’s last game as the starter until Sean White got injured later in the year.

“I was coached up a little more as far as being accurate, footwork, mechanics,” Johnson said. “I was around some great people down there. I felt like myself again.”

Johnson, who measured just above 6-foot-4 and 232 pounds on Pro Day, said he felt more like the highly regarded prospect who was supposed to be the next great Auburn quarterback. Instead, at Johnson's Pro Day workouts scouts wanted to know how and why his career arch didn't pan out.

“I feel like what I’ve been through helped me become a man and mature me. I just love being around these guys,” Johnson said. “The past is past and I’m looking towards the future.”

Johnson didn’t go to Orlando to escape who he was at Auburn, rather to rediscover the player coach Gus Malzahn saw as part of his first recruiting class.

Even after the ups and down, Malzahn said he hopes Johnson can revive his career. 

“Jeremy has had his ups and downs but he hung in there,” Malzahn said. “I think that will carry him a long way in life. He's got great character, he's a great worker and I thought he performed well (at Pro Day).”

51 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think we are moving in the right direction in terms of coaching our QBs now with CCL on board. We were able to survive our lack of QB coaching but eventually we got exposed, which is no surprise at this level. But Gus recognized, or was pushed to recognize, this and made adjustments to the staff as needed. No matter how we got here, Gus agreed to make the changes.

I'm still weirdly embarrassed about Cam's Gruden QB Camp episode when Cam couldn't recite a single play call

Rhett and Gus needed to part ways.  One was always being blamed for the other.  Someone once told me that if you marry someone just like yourself that's one too many people in the marriage.  Bringing along Rhett did not allow either Gus or Rhett to grow as coaches.  I am glad Lindsey is here.  I just hope it isn't too little too late.  But we will know in December. 

As far as Cam's Gruden episode, if I was Gus I would have been embarrassed.  For all we know he was embarrassed.   

11 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Rhett and Gus needed to part ways.  One was always being blamed for the other.  Someone once told me that if you marry someone just like yourself that's one too many people in the marriage.  Bringing along Rhett did not allow either Gus or Rhett to grow as coaches.  I am glad Lindsey is here.  I just hope it isn't too little too late.  Butt we will know in December. 

As far as Cam's Gruden episode, if I was Gus I would have been embarrassed.  For all we know he was embarrassed.   

True, good post. Totally agree on having "too much of the same" on staff. 

Yeah, if I cringe watching that imagine how Gus felt. And even if Gus took the approach of "hey in my system my QB doesn't need to know that stuff", at that time our rivals were surely using that clip to de-value Gus/AU -- which I would've done as well. That clip alone would persuade me that going to AU as a QB is not in my best interests in preparing me for pro ball IMO.  And even if Gus didn't recognize it after that, whatever happened this off-season sure lit a fire under his butt to make the proper changes. And I think it increased his chances to stick around AU for a long time.

For the record, even though I know it would make this board explode, I hope JJ kills it in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

True, good post. Totally agree on having "too much of the same" on staff. 

Yeah, if I cringe watching that imagine how Gus felt. And even if Gus took the approach of "hey in my system my QB doesn't need to know that stuff", at that time our rivals were surely using that clip to de-value Gus/AU -- which I would've done as well. That clip alone would persuade me that going to AU as a QB is not in my best interests in preparing me for pro ball IMO.  And even if Gus didn't recognize it after that, whatever happened this off-season sure lit a fire under his butt to make the proper changes. And I think it increased his chances to stick around AU for a long time.

Well, I know under Les Miles, that LSU told QB recruits that if you don't want to be developed go to Auburn.

As far as Cam goes, and this is all rumor, but when he got to Carolina those first few years he had problems understanding how to break down film of opposing defenses to a point where he avoided the film room all together.  He didn't know how to make proper adjustments at the line of scrimmage.  Shula has worked wonders with him, but things he should have known going to the NFL he didn't have.  Fortunately, he is probably the most talented QB alive and that kept him around long enough to learn those necessary skills. 

25 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Well, I know under Les Miles, that LSU told QB recruits that if you don't want to be developed go to Auburn.

As far as Cam goes, and this is all rumor, but when he got to Carolina those first few years he had problems understanding how to break down film of opposing defenses to a point where he avoided the film room all together.  He didn't know how to make proper adjustments at the line of scrimmage.  Shula has worked wonders with him, but things he should have known going to the NFL he didn't have.  Fortunately, he is probably the most talented QB alive and that kept him around long enough to learn those necessary skills. 

Well that's rich!  Les Miles had his ass on the chopping block at the end of the '15 season because he couldn't do crap with his QBs year over year.  He finally got the ax mid-season of '16 because his offense was predictable, stale and failed miserably to produce at a level that resulted in enough Win's to meet expectations.  

People/fans/Admins lose patience with a HC that turns in top 10 ranked recruiting classes year after year and then proceeds to go consecutive yrs ('14  8-4, '15  8-3, '16  8-4) with that amount of talent .  

I don't doubt that LSU tried to negative recruit against AU, but it was 'pot-meet-kettle' of epic proportions.  

Now here we are in '17 and Gus is coaching for his job at AU, and if he can't see how things transpired with Les Miles and check himself then he will end up just like ole Leslie. Just like LSU, Auburn pulls in top 10 talent and it is unacceptable for AU to go ('14  8-4, '15  6-6, '16  8-4) with that amount of talent.  

40 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Living in NC I heard the same things about Cam regarding his film study and reading defenses. Could be false, as you said, but this isn't the first time I'm hearing that. Shula deserves an absolute ton of credit for developing Cam's game, and now Cam makes all kinds of checks at the line. You're right though. If Russell Wilson entered the NFL under the same scenario Cam did he might be out of the league by now (possssssible slight exaggeration lol, but he seemed more mentally prepared for the league than Cam was). Cam's natural ability allowed him to be personally pretty successful while still learning the ropes. While I doubt with CCL on staff our QBs will be making checks at the line I do think they will be more prepared from a pure-quarterbacking stand point because we now have someone who is actually coaching QBs rather than coaching the offense to the QBs, as Jeremy Johnson has been seemingly alluding to.

Also the audacity of Les Miles to say that LOLOL....but hey anything to prevent a QB recruit to go to one your rivals, right?

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well that's rich!  Les Miles had his ass on the chopping block at the end of the '15 season because he couldn't do crap with his QBs year over year.  He finally got the ax mid-season of '16 because his offense was predictable, stale and failed miserably to produce at a level that resulted in enough Win's to meet expectations.  

People/fans/Admins lose patience with a HC that turns in top 10 ranked recruiting classes year after year and then proceeds to go consecutive yrs ('14  8-4, '15  8-3, '16  8-4) with that amount of talent .  

I don't doubt that LSU tried to negative recruit against AU, but it was 'pot-meet-kettle' of epic proportions.  

Now here we are in '17 and Gus is coaching for his job at AU, and if he can't see how things transpired with Les Miles and check himself then he will end up just like ole Leslie. Just like LSU, Auburn pulls in top 10 talent and it is unacceptable for AU to go ('14  8-4, '15  6-6, '16  8-4) with that amount of talent.  

It is with your last statement that I scratch my head at Bleacher Report articles asking does Gus have finally have the talent to get back to Atlanta.  At any point during the last four seasons he not have the talent?  Didn't Chiz bring in some pretty talented classes that Gus inherited. 

And you know Gus is feeling the pressure.  Boosters forced him to part with Rhett or face the boot.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Living in NC I heard the same things about Cam regarding his film study and reading defenses. Could be false, as you said, but this isn't the first time I'm hearing that. Shula deserves an absolute ton of credit for developing Cam's game, and now Cam makes all kinds of checks at the line. You're right though. If Russell Wilson entered the NFL under the same scenario Cam did he might be out of the league by now (possssssible slight exaggeration lol, but he seemed more mentally prepared for the league than Cam was). Cam's natural ability allowed him to be personally pretty successful while still learning the ropes. While I doubt with CCL on staff our QBs will be making checks at the line I do think they will be more prepared from a pure-quarterbacking stand point because we now have someone who is actually coaching QBs rather than coaching the offense to the QBs, as Jeremy Johnson has been seemingly alluding to.

Also the audacity of Les Miles to say that LOLOL....but hey anything to prevent a QB recruit to go to one your rivals, right?

Well put!

Archived