Baseball vs. Florida - game 3

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great way to start the SEC schedule!?

Winning the series was huge. Sweep? You're going to need a bigger ruler! Got to be a tremendous confidence boost for these guys and something they can feed off of all season. 

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

This was a Tiger trifecta weekend in SEC baseball. bammer and the dawgs also got swept. Things in the league are interesting already. 

Saw that and I agree 

17 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

This was a Tiger trifecta weekend in SEC baseball. bammer and the dawgs also got swept. Things in the league are interesting already. 

The Mizzou series was featured on the SEC network this weekend, got to watch a lot of those three games.  Updykes looked like a heaping pile of elephant dung.  Missouri was not great and got the sweep.  LSU scored 34 runs against the dawgs in three games.  It was good to be a Tiger this weekend.

Just want to add there were 3300+ people at the stadium today. At the end of the game you could tell the players really appreciated the crowd and stood out front for while signing autographs afterwards also. They were definitely excited. Weather was awesome, high was like 70. No clouds and I even got a little red on the arms and face. 

That is amazing.  Let's hope our girls can match that against the gators this weekend. 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Auburn #20 in the new poll.

A new poll. D1Baseball.com is not considered 1 of the 2 major polls. Only 2 guys vote in it. In the 2 major polls, Baseball America & USA Today we are NR & 24th.

It is still very early.  Florida may not be all they were supposed to be (I'm betting they are and we just caught them at the right time) and we may not be as good every weekend as we were this past.  10 weekend series in the SEC is a hard row.  These guys appear to enjoy playing for this coach, I have no doubt his disposition allows them to play looser than the previous HC.  Great team chemistry comes from loving your teammates and trusting your coaches, this club seems to be on the right track.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

A new poll. D1Baseball.com is not considered 1 of the 2 major polls. Only 2 guys vote in it. In the 2 major polls, Baseball America & USA Today we are NR & 24th.

Aaron Fitt and Kendall Rogers are as knowledgeable as anybody out there, they eat, sleep and breathe college baseball.  Have for a long time.  But it is just a poll and won't really mean much until about June.

54 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It is still very early.  Florida may not be all they were supposed to be (I'm betting they are and we just caught them at the right time) and we may not be as good every weekend as we were this past.  10 weekend series in the SEC is a hard row.  These guys appear to enjoy playing for this coach, I have no doubt his disposition allows them to play looser than the previous HC.  Great team chemistry comes from loving your teammates and trusting your coaches, this club seems to be on the right track.

Yup. Not to mention we have not played any road games until this coming week. Even though it's against lesser competition these coming games will be as telling about the team as the UF series. Need to win 3 of 4 vs. GT & the pups this week to validate last weekend. Including Bama next Tuesday we need 4 of 5.

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Not to mention we have not played any road games until this coming week. Even though it's against lesser competition these coming games will be as telling about the team as the UF series. Need to win 3 of 4 vs. GT & the pups this week to validate last weekend. Including Bama next Tuesday we need 4 of 5.

This has been my concern all along.  In their chat yesterday, Baseball America said our not playing a road game is the exact reason we aren't ranked yet in their poll.  Getting on the bus, staying in a hotel, and having an unfamiliar routine can make some teams uncomfortable if they aren't used to it.  Really wish we had at least played a neutral site tournament in February/early March, but what can you do now?

On the flip side, we have a battle-tested starting pitcher for Friday night and a potential 1st or 2nd rounder for Saturday, so our pitching should hold up fine this weekend.  Tonight vs Tech though may be an adventure.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This has been my concern all along.  In their chat yesterday, Baseball America said our not playing a road game is the exact reason we aren't ranked yet in their poll.  Getting on the bus, staying in a hotel, and having an unfamiliar routine can make some teams uncomfortable if they aren't used to it.  Really wish we had at least played a neutral site tournament in February/early March, but what can you do now?

On the flip side, we have a battle-tested starting pitcher for Friday night and a potential 1st or 2nd rounder for Saturday, so our pitching should hold up fine this weekend.  Tonight vs Tech though may be an adventure.

Bet we win

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Win

43 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Bet we win

Completely possible.  However our mid-week pitching hasn't instilled much confidence through the first month.  Last week's shutout was nice, but we need them to step up as mid-week competition gets better.

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Completely possible.  However our mid-week pitching hasn't instilled much confidence through the first month.  Last week's shutout was nice, but we need them to step up as mid-week competition gets better.

It's not getting better though, not on paper at least. It's actually a bit worse. Average RPI of remaining midweek opponents is 145, none vs RPI top 25 or 50 & 2 vs Top 100 (GT).  Average RPI of already played midweek opponents is 126 with 1 in the top 25 in FAMU. Opponents may play better as 5 of the 7 remaining midweek games are on the road but the competition isn't better in totality.

I like Camacho as our starting mid-week guy for now, that could easily change if he starts throwing bad. I wish Sprinkle could step up and fill that role but he has pitched pretty poorly so far. 

Archived