Builder

Will we beat Clemson this year?

178 posts in this topic

well with them running the option again that gets us ready for kelly bryant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




4 hours ago, bigbird said:

If we had started and played Sean the whole game last year against Clemson, we would've won. Period.  As is, with the most absurd cluster of a game plan and some of the most baffling play calling ever, we were 1 play away from winning.  

It isn't period. If White plays all game, maybe we score another FG. Maybe we score another TD. Maybe we score 10 or even 14 points more, although I highly doubt the latter. You're seriously suggesting it was 100% impossible for Deshaun Watson, the guy that drove the field with a deficit 5 times and scored 26 points in the 2nd half against the #1 ranked defense, then proved it wasn't a fluke by doing it again 12 months later driving the field with a deficit 4 times to score 28 points against the #1 ranked defense, but impossible he couldn't come back against us? If so, you are out of your everloving mind. 

Watson scored as much as he needed to win. That's why he only needed 10 points in the 2nd half against us and why he only lost 2 games in 2 seasons. If he had needed another TD or 10 points in the 2nd half, he would have gotten it. The guy was the textbook definition of clutch. 

Edited by Scotty2Hotty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

It isn't period. If White plays all game, maybe we score another FG. Maybe we score another TD. Maybe we score 10 or even 14 points more, although I highly doubt the latter. You're seriously suggesting it was 100% impossible for Deshaun Watson, the guy that drove the field with a deficit 5 times and scored 26 points in the 2nd half against the #1 ranked defense, then proved it wasn't a fluke by doing it again 12 months later driving the field with a deficit 4 times to score 28 points against the #1 ranked defense, but impossible he couldn't come back against us? If so, you are out of your everloving mind. 

Watson scored as much as he needed to win. That's why he only needed 1 TD in the 2nd half against us and why he only lost 1 game in 2 seasons. The guy was the textbook definition of clutch. 

If you think that players only score as much as they need, then this conversation is over before it begins. That premise is beyond laughable. He only scored once in the 2nd half because he didn't need to? Good Lord! He struggled throughout the game. The only thing he had working was the back shoulder throw to M. Williams. We routinely shot ourselves in the food and consistently removed any momentum from our team throughout the game.  Whenever we started to drive or has a large gain, we swapped QBs or called for the wirley bird. We easily score another 10-14 points if SW is in the entire game. You are working under the assumption that DW was as good in the beginning of the year as he was at the end. That's ridiculous. Also, you're assuming that our defensive game plan was not as good as UA's. Obviously it was. 

 

Passing: 19/34 248 (Williams accounted for 174 of that the others were 10 for 74)

Rushing: 11 for 21

Yeah, he was a real World beater that game.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

As you can see from the responses to your post, I was trying to help you in recommending you look at the previous threads on this so you can see why I was right.  Was not trying to be a jerk, just knew what the outcome would be on this forum.

The problem is you cannot look into your crystal ball and determine an outcome of if's, especially based upon White's history of inconsistency against prolific defenses starting all game. Your more reliable crystal ball is Watson because he proved time and again that deficits, even against the #1 ranked defense, even multiple times in the same 2nd half, wasn't an issue. In fact, he reveled in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

It isn't period. If White plays all game, maybe we score another FG. Maybe we score another TD. Maybe we score 10 or even 14 points more, although I highly doubt the latter. You're seriously suggesting it was 100% impossible for Deshaun Watson, the guy that drove the field with a deficit 5 times and scored 26 points in the 2nd half against the #1 ranked defense, then proved it wasn't a fluke by doing it again 12 months later driving the field with a deficit 4 times to score 28 points against the #1 ranked defense, but impossible he couldn't come back against us? If so, you are out of your everloving mind. 

Watson scored as much as he needed to win. That's why he only needed 10 points in the 2nd half against us and why he only lost 2 games in 2 seasons. If he had needed another TD or 10 points in the 2nd half, he would have gotten it. The guy was the textbook definition of clutch. 

It is not inconceivable that we couldn't have beaten Clemson with consistent QB play . You are trying to compare Deshaun at his peak against Bama to Clemson early on. Clemson as a team were not up to par in standards until late November maybe even December.  A week later they struggled with Troy .

Edited by DAG
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If you think that players only score as much as they need, then this conversation is over before it begins. That premise is beyond laughable. He only scored once in the 2nd half because he didn't need to? Good Lord! He struggled throughout the game. The only thing he had working was the back shoulder throw to M. Williams. We routinely shot ourselves in the food and consistently removed any momentum from our team throughout the game.  Whenevet he started to drive or has a large gain, we sealed QBs. We easily score another 10-14 points if SW is in the entire game. You are working under the assumption that DW was as good in the becoming of the year as he was at the end. That's ridiculous. Also, you're assuming that our defensive game plan was not as good as UA's. Obviously it was. 

 

Passing: 19/34 248 (Williams accounted for 174 of that the others were 10 for 74)

Rushing: 11 for 21

Yeah, he was a real World beater that game.

And you're relying on White being better than he was. If he were, he would have easily proven it in Fall practice and been the full time starter game 1.

And you're saying White most certainly would have stepped his game up, but not the QB that led his team to 2 consecutive national title appearances, winning one, by coming back from MULTIPLE deficits in both games.

If only if's mattered, we would have won. Good Lord indeed.

Why is Stidham here? He should quit because we obviously have a returning Heisman winner on our team. I feel sorry for Stidham as he has to attempt to fill the shoes of a legend. 

Edited by Scotty2Hotty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can win against Clemson. It won't be easy. They seem to reload on defense. I think it will be very close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

And you're relying on White being better than he was. If he were, he would have easily proven it in Fall practice and been the full time starter game 1.

And you're saying White most certainly would have stepped his game up, but not the QB that led his team to 2 consecutive national title appearances, winning one, by coming back from MULTIPLE deficits in both games.

If only if's mattered, we would have won. Good Lord indeed.

Why is Stidham here? He should quit because we obviously have a returning Heisman winner on our team. 

There was another that used to argue like you, but he isn't around anymore. He struggled with objectivity too. White did prove it in Fall practice. Go back and look. Many of us that have more access than some were saying it the whole time. And White didn't have to step his game up for that game. He was easily good enough with the way the D was playing.  The failure was squarely on the coaches. They had the team to beat them and should've. DW didnt have a good game against us last year. We played the major role as to why.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

And you're relying on White being better than he was. If he were, he would have easily proven it in Fall practice and been the full time starter game 1.

Go back and watch our offense against Clemson and then try to tell anyone with a straight face that Sean was being evaluated by a head coach who was thinking clearly. Try it in the mirror first. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Go back and watch our offense against Clemson and then try to tell anyone with a straight face that Sean was being evaluated by a head coach who was thinking clearly. Try it in the mirror first. 

That was the problem. Gus was so hung up on JF3 that he didn't prepare anything else. Catching Lightning in a bottle will, more often than not, electricute the one holding the bottle

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If you think that players only score as much as they need, then this conversation is over before it begins. That premise is beyond laughable. He only scored once in the 2nd half because he didn't need to? Good Lord! He struggled throughout the game. The only thing he had working was the back shoulder throw to M. Williams. We routinely shot ourselves in the food and consistently removed any momentum from our team throughout the game.  Whenever we started to drive or has a large gain, we swapped QBs or called for the wirley bird. We easily score another 10-14 points if SW is in the entire game. You are working under the assumption that DW was as good in the beginning of the year as he was at the end. That's ridiculous. Also, you're assuming that our defensive game plan was not as good as UA's. Obviously it was. 

 

Passing: 19/34 248 (Williams accounted for 174 of that the others were 10 for 74)

Rushing: 11 for 21

Yeah, he was a real World beater that game.

I have shot myself in the food before. It really does hurt bad.:-\  No time to proofread I guess Bird?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 10, 2017 at 0:17 PM, AUBwins said:

Georgia Southern can give you fits.  They beat Florida in recent memory (Florida was not a world beater that year, but anyways) and have made the FBS transition well.  When was the last time we played an option team?  I am curious to how the defense plays them in that game.  Good thing it is the first game of the year to prep for. 

AU is going to destroy GS. Beat down. And beat Clemson by 17. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU is going to destroy GS. Beat down. And beat Clemson by 17. 

This is what I am talking . I want annihilatinon . I want swagger . Screw bad Omens and trap games . Screw worrying about the past . 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another thing too . If we are killing Clemson at half time , no more sitting on the ball . Keep scoring and scoring . Sick of letting teams catch momentum .

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DAG said:

And another thing too . If we are killing Clemson at half time , no more sitting on the ball . Keep scoring and scoring . Sick of letting teams catch momentum .

Classic Gus. Wish he'd develop that killer instinct mentality. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Classic Gus. Wish he'd develop that killer instinct mentality. 

Yes yes . Negan lost that mentality a week ago and what do you know ?! A tiger came out of nowhere and spoiled his victory (TWD reference).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DAG said:

And another thing too . If we are killing Clemson at half time , no more sitting on the ball . Keep scoring and scoring . Sick of letting teams catch momentum .

Yep. Have to have much better 3rd quarters. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes yes . Negan lost that mentality a week ago and what do you know ?! A tiger came out of nowhere and spoiled his victory (TWD reference).

 

How dumb does this guy have to be to not take out Rick and the gang when he has the chance.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DAG said:

And another thing too . If we are killing Clemson at half time , no more sitting on the ball . Keep scoring and scoring . Sick of letting teams catch momentum .

I'm convinced at halftime Gus tells them what a wonderful job they're doing and how they should feel good about all they've accomplished.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm convinced at halftime Gus tells them what a wonderful job they're doing and how they should feel good about all they've accomplished.

I caught this last year when he was totally satisfied with just getting by Vandy last year after his "that 6 straight" or whatever comment.

I tend to believe this will not be the case this upcoming year.

Edited by DAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I caught this last year when he was totally satisfied with just getting by vandy last year after his that 6 straight or whatever comment .

I tend to believe this will not be the case this upcoming year .

Better not be or he will be looking for a OC job. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which is strange, because as an OC, he was very aggressive and always tried to score as much and as often as he could. I loved him trying to score the last minute of the 1st half. Now...kneel it out.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Which is strange, because as an OC, he was very aggressive and always tried to score as much and as oftenbas he could. I loved him trying to score the last minute of the 1st half. Now...kneel it out.

 

I will always remember Cam's TD pass as the first half expired in the SEC Championship Game.  Everyone knew the game was over at that moment.  I will say this about Auburn teams that Gus is involved in:  they have played very well in SEC Championship Games.

Personally, I have always liked what Spurrier did with his offenses at Florida.  Take a commanding lead, then bring in 2nd and 3rd players to keep running the offense as if the game is on the line.  A dominating victory usually ensued, and I always thought it gave another benefit in meaningful experience and game reps for backups beyond putting in other bodies to kill the clock and go home.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DAG said:

And another thing too . If we are killing Clemson at half time , no more sitting on the ball . Keep scoring and scoring . Sick of letting teams catch momentum .

That's another area that Chip should help us in or will Gus make him take his foot off the pedal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

 

I will always remember Cam's TD pass as the first half expired in the SEC Championship Game.  Everyone knew the game was over at that moment.  I will say this about Auburn teams that Gus is involved in:  they have played very well in SEC Championship Games.

Personally, I have always liked what Spurrier did with his offenses at Florida.  Take a commanding lead, then bring in 2nd and 3rd players to keep running the offense as if the game is on the line.  A dominating victory usually ensued, and I always thought it gave another benefit in meaningful experience and game reps for backups beyond putting in other bodies to kill the clock and go home.

That is how it should be. Don't keep the starters in, but at the very least keep running your offense even with the backups.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now