Athens, Greece -- Home of Democracy

AUbritt

I went to Athens this past summer. I stood on the Pnyx, the Areopagus, and in the ancient agora, looking up at the Acropolis. I traced Socrates' steps in the agora. I thought a lot about democracy, about our republic, and about what's happening today.

Areopagus_hill.jpg

Has anyone else been to Athens?

Did it also spark such thoughts in you?

1 hour ago, AUbritt said:

I went to Athens this past summer. I stood on the Pnyx, the Areopagus, and in the ancient agora, looking up at the Acropolis. I traced Socrates' steps in the agora. I thought a lot about democracy, about our republic, and about what's happening today.

Areopagus_hill.jpg

Has anyone else been to Athens?

Did it also spark such thoughts in you?

I actually thought about Socrates today due to the recent events. What a weird consequence. 

"Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every assembly would have still been a mob."

Passion in large numbers never fails to wrestle the scepter from reason.

I, too, envy your trip. 

I definitely recommend Greece. Athens was just the one that hit home for me in terms of politics. Although the Athenians started democracy, not all their philosophers fell in line with the belief that democracy is the best form of government. It's just really thought-provoking.

Oh, I should say don't go in July! It's hot as hell. Someone also told me don't go in December, or you'll be paying extra for everything. Apparently, it's a sort of 'tax' to enable employers to pay Christmas bonuses.

The rise and fall of the republic of Athens played a very important role for Madison and  some of our founding fathers when they contemplated our own government. Namely on the structure and size of the HOR and the effectiveness of pure republics when governing large territories vs pure democracies in large territories. 

Archived