Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

45 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Well if that's the standard we're going by...

I'm more in the Derrick Mason/Dan Mullin crowd at the moment.  I can't see having a NFL coach that is inexperienced at running a college program be successful.  I hesitated bring up that other coach because I don't like comparing the programs, but I had a weak moment.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I like Fisher a lot, but he's 59 years old and has been a pretty average NFL coach. 

I think his daughter went to Auburn.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Mason has too many good attributes to overlook and building a heck of a resume at Vandy.  Vandy?   SEC HC

Mullens wins with inferior talent, in the middle of Mississippi (enough said)!  SEC HC

Venables will be a rock star, mark this down.

I like Gundy, but he has better talent in all his games except one or two.  maybe...

What does having better talent have to do with anything ? Like why do some of you guys knock coaches who have recruited talented players and win with them?

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

He gave up play calling a couple of seasons ago I believe. The team has not missed a beat. TAKE NOTES GUSTAV! haha

Didn't Richt initially call plays and then hand them over? 

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't Richt initially call plays and then hand them over? 

I think you nailed it!! He gave up calling plays even more far back than gundy.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think his daughter went to Auburn.

and his son played for us as a walk on.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of folks have been talking about Bobo. He's very much in that hot up and comer conversation. 

Yeah, I'd be 100% OK with that hire if we get to that point.  Know several UGA folks who lament him getting away.

Mike Bobo is why the term JABA was invented.................... 

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Their thought process......Dabo, Jimbo,........I got it, Bobo. 

But the formers are first names. Quick, google search college football coaches whose first names end in "O"!!

I'm back and search came to only one coach. Dino Babers is our guy!!!!

4 hours ago, DAG said:

What does having better talent have to do with anything ? Like why do some of you guys knock coaches who have recruited talented players and win with them?

I think it is huge.   A coach who consistently wins with lessor talent over better teams is more impressive than a coach who has superior talent year in and year out.  It is not a "knock", but a consideration.  I am not splitting hairs here.  And yes I know the coach had to recruit the players so he would have superior talent....ala the chicken or the egg.   Dye won a lot of games early on with less talent; after '85, I would say he had as much talent as anyone.    

I am not trying to complicate this, "just a consideration."  

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A lot of folks have been talking about Bobo. He's very much in that hot up and comer conversation. 

I think a lot of the debate I see on this forum is about whether we should go after an up-and-coming coach or an established winner.

Under JJ my money says we'll aim for the up-and-comer. 

Just now, Beaker said:

I think it is huge.   A coach who consistently wins with lessor talent over better teams is more impressive than a coach who has superior talent year in and year out.  It is not a "knock", but a consideration.  I am not splitting hairs here.  And yes I know the coach had to recruit the players so he would have superior talent....ala the chicken or the egg.   Dye won a lot of games early on with less talent; after '85, I would say he had as much talent as anyone.    

I am not trying to complicate this, "just a consideration."  

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Gus would find a way to screw up teams if he had alabama's talent. You still got to be a good coach to win.

1 minute ago, War Knight said:

I think a lot of the debate I see on this forum is about whether we should go after an up-and-coming coach or an established winner.

which is weird. He seems LATELY to hire proven winners in any sport BUT football. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

which is weird. He seems LATELY to hire proven winners in any sport BUT football. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

What makes more sense is the proven guys in football don't want to come to Auburn and put up with JJ and the boys and all the crap that can come along with being the HC in football at Auburn.  Other sports don't have the pressure football does here. 

5 minutes ago, War Knight said:

Bobo?  meh...

Jim McElwain went 10-3 at CSU, handed off to Bobo who had back to back 7-6 seasons and is currently 2-2.  This is his 3rd year.  He kinda owns this thing now.  He is 0-2 in bowl games.  

if this guy is less of a coach that McElwain.....   this kinda coaching looks like a train wreck in the SEC.  Probably a wonderful guy.  

Give me Mason, Mullens or Venables. 

2 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

What makes more sense is the proven guys in football don't want to come to Auburn and put up with JJ and the boys and all the crap that can come along with being the HC in football at Auburn.  Other sports don't have the pressure football does here. 

I agree. We need to a complete overhaul from the top down and clean house. CULTURE change comes to mind.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I agree. We need to a complete overhaul from the top down and clean house. CULTURE change comes to mind.

Yep. Look this is not unique to Auburn either.  Bama went through the same thing for nearly 30 years but just happened to hire the right guy once with Stallings and got the 1 natty.  Other than that bama was fairly average from 80-2009 when Saban got rolling.  Once the good ol boys in Tuscaloser were finally told to hit the bricks and let Saban run the damn program well look what happened!  

8 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

I  don't know if you realize how true that statement is.   8+ years ago the coachinng staffs at Bama, GaTech, and UGA all said there was a big Jacobs, Dye, boosters issue.

Just now, McLoofus said:

What does JABA mean?

just Auburn being Auburn.

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

I  don't know if you realize how true that statement is.   8+ years ago the coachinng staffs at Bama, GaTech, and UGA all said there was a big Jacobs, Dye, boosters issue.

Oh yeah for sure.  When I was younger it was Bobby Lowder and his bunch.  The names change but the system doesn't.  Auburn has always been Auburn's biggest problem. Not bama. 

So why would anyone at all feel like taking the HC job here then? Serious question, who the hell wants to take a job where there's all kinds of helicoptering? Not disputing the meddling but damn if it's so toxic maybe that's why we can only land 5-17 coaches and our ex-coordinators, but that leads me to ask more questions because Gus and Chiz must have seen this stuff up close when they were assistants..... Damn what a disheartening situation. 

Archived