Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

22 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Franklin is a good coach, but he is a lot like Houston Nutt...........................................B****s**t artist

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He's got Penn State humming. I don't care about him being a bull**** artist. I'm hoping Auburn will become more results drivin and less concerned with a coach that can get along with everyone in the AD. That's the only way that we are going to compete with Saban now and Dabo in the future. 

A B**s**t is exactly what we need.  What good CEO in not a good B**s**t artist?  They have to keep all those plates spinning while running their organization.  They have to assemble a team of highly knowledgeable and talented subordinates and keep them motivated.  All the while driving their organization to new heights, Dabo is a B**s**t artist, Gus is at the other end of the spectrum.

If you noticed, during the Clemson game after we shut their offense down in the first Qtr, Dabo turned to his staff and showed his displeasure at how thing were going.  He wasn't about to interfere with the OC, just inspire him to do better at what he was hired to do.

This is the type of guy I want as a new head coach if the PTB decide to go in a different direction.  I really don't care if he has his own system on offense, or defense, as long as he hires an excellent staff on both sides of the ball and gets out of the way and let them coach.  This type of coach is a leader and inspires his subordinates to lead also.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

A B**s**t is exactly what we need.  What good CEO in not a good B**s**t artist?  They have to keep all those plates spinning while running their organization.  They have to assemble a team of highly knowledgeable and talented subordinates and keep them motivated.  All the while driving their organization to new heights, Dabo is a B**s**t artist, Gus is at the other end of the spectrum.

If you noticed, during the Clemson game after we shut their offense down in the first Qtr, Dabo turned to his staff and showed his displeasure at how thing were going.  He wasn't about to interfere with the OC, just inspire him to do better at what he was hired to do.

This is the type of guy I want as a new head coach if the PTB decide to go in a different direction.  I really don't care if he has his own system on offense, or defense, as long as he hires an excellent staff on both sides of the ball and gets out of the way and let them coach.  This type of coach is a leader and inspires his subordinates to lead also.

Agreed. Who cares what the Head Coach acts like. College football is a business and if you ain't winning, business is bad. Simple as that. We need a coach that is going to put rings on fingers and give the student athletes the greatest chance to be successful. I'm sure Alabama players dgad how much of an a**hole Saban is, when they are sitting in their mansions. 

So what are our realistic options at this point? I'm surprised BR hasn't made a list of candidates--when they do, you know your coach is in trouble.

Here's to hoping FAU wins out. While he would be a risk, does anyone really think we'd have trouble attracting (and hopefully developing) top talent QBs under a guy who can point to Blake Sims, Jake Coker and Jalen Hurts?

Obviously, Mullen would be a home run. We HAVE to change ADs, though. Hopefully the softball scandal FINALLY rids us of Jacobs.

Not sure how popular this is, but at end of year time to give Sarkisian another chance.

23 minutes ago, Hopsing said:

Not sure how popular this is, but at end of year time to give Sarkisian another chance.

I haven't been overly impressed with Alabama's offense. I think there are better candidates out there. 

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I haven't been overly impressed with Alabama's offense. I think there are better candidates out there. 

Sark was Alabama's OC for only one game and he lost that one.

Sarkisian just dropped a 29 point master class on Green Bay (ATL D scored a TD). They were in clock-killing mode as soon as the 4th quarter started. Yes, he's got one of the most talented units in the NFL- possibly *the* most talented- but we've also got one of the most talented offensive rosters in college football. 

No clue if Sark can run a program, but he can run an offense. 

On 9/10/2017 at 1:28 AM, Brad_ATX said:

Derek Mason.  He's doing more with less at Vandy.  Plus, he can actually beat UGA.

Mason would be my choice as well. SEC experience and has turned Vandy football into a respectable program, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  Class act too. 

DJ Durkin coached for/with Harbaugh and Meyer, very good experience and great recruiter.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Sark was Alabama's OC for only one game and he lost that one.

I don't know why, but I had it in my mind the Sark was the Alabama OC still. I had forgotten that he wasn't. Pardon my comment. Carry on. Haha 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don't know why, but I had it in my mind the Sark was the Alabama OC still. I had forgotten that he wasn't. Pardon my comment. Carry on. Haha 

No problem, as McLoofus has pointed out, he is a good OC for the pros.

Ok.....my 2 cents....

1. Why aren't we talking chip Kelly?

2. Can we finally hire a man with swagger?

3. We should look very hard at (braceyoself) African American coaches like Mason.

4. I am confident that out of the half dozen or so coaches mentioned, we would lose less with any one of them. I really like Fleck.

So without reading 27 pages, who is the consensus pick? Somebody knows. 

I'll throw some names out there, any of which I would be happy with

Derek Mason (Vanderbilt HC)

Joe Moorhead (Penn State OC, No. 1 rising assistant in college football by Sports Illustrated and Yahoo)

PJ Fleck (Minnesota HC)

Steve Sarkisian (Atlanta Falcons OC, former USC HC and Washington HC)

Chip Kelly (current ESPN analyst, former 49ers HC, Eagles HC, Oregon HC)

Part of the problem isn't Auburn, it's the PTB that control the university. That is what drives off any coach that has a clear perspective of what is happening down on the plains, most can see who is calling the shots down there. I know it happens at a lot of schools, but it is less obvious and less publicized. 

43 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Part of the problem isn't Auburn, it's the PTB that control the university. That is what drives off any coach that has a clear perspective of what is happening down on the plains, most can see who is calling the shots down there. I know it happens at a lot of schools, but it is less obvious and less publicized. 

Just curious how many other schools that you know who have PTBs  who aren't calling; the shots.   Who were the PTBs at Tennessee and LSU and UGa who got very successful coaches run off?.....and who will probably get Sumlin pushed out at TAMU  and at least a dozen other Power 5 schools this year.  

That's life...but also I'm waiting to see a Power 5 school who pushes out a winning coach...and immediately ends up doing better?  Most of these places make me wonder if they don't have some kind of suicide complex with regard to their football programs.

2 hours ago, ausoldiergrad said:

Ok.....my 2 cents....

1. Why aren't we talking chip Kelly?

Because any time his Oregon teams faced a squad with big, athletic defensive lineman, his offense got destroyed.  And in the SEC, he'll literally face that at least 4-5 times per year.

As I watch MNF, I'm reminded of an off-the-radar selection for any potential hire:  Jim Bob Cooter.

He's the current OC for the Lions (has been for a couple of years) and is credited with an innovative scheme that has taken advantage of Stafford's skill-set.  He's still really young at 33, but he did play in the SEC at Tennessee so he's familiar with the area.  He's also been on the staffs of the Colts & Broncos when Peyton was at both places, before heading to Detroit.  Here's a great read on him.  The guy is a future head coach in the NFL unless a major college scoops him up early.

http://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/30704/jim-bob-cooters-coordination-evolution-from-tecmo-bowl-to-the-nfl

Somebody a few pages back mentioned Bill O'Brien could be looking for a new job soon. (I dont watch the NFL so I dont know the latest info) It may be far fetched of an idea but would that be a good hire? Seemed he did well with a devastated Penn ST team and he has extensive experience with the Patriots......thoughts

Mike Leach

I've heard about Jim Bob Cooter too and agree. I think he's  a diamond in the rough just waiting to get scooped up by somebody.....although I wince at unproven HCs 

If Bill O'Brien were to come to AU, he would ditch us the first time an NFL job came open.  No thanks.

Mike Leach is beyond weird and is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Mason is very tempting, HOWEVER I think we're going to need an (actual) offensive mind to provide contrast to recruits from Saban and Smart. As I've stated several times now, it would be GREAT for us if FAU has a good season (unlikely, yes).

Another offensive choice is Scott Frost. Guy took a winless UCF to a bowl in year one and has them picked to finish second in its division this year.

Archived