Who Do You Want?

ClaytonAU

25 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

to be honest, i agree with you....mullen has it made with a lot less pressure....ole miss is going to be a non-factor for years....he makes like a gazillion dollars for attaining mediocrity.     he would be a fool to leave and come to AU.....

Mullen does not strike me as a content type. Plus all of those interviews at other programs and stuff

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Joe Moorehead. Just remember the name. Penn St. OC. You guys will see. 

I would be reluctant to go with someone with 0 head coaching experience and then pair him in the same state as Saban. If we thought we got punked in recruiting before I can't imagine how that would go. However, he does seem to be a great offensive mind. 

16 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I would be reluctant to go with someone with 0 head coaching experience and then pair him in the same state as Saban. If we thought we got punked in recruiting before I can't imagine how that would go. However, he does seem to be a great offensive mind. 

He has been a head coach. Furman 38-10. Took them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. 4 of the most prolific offenses in Furman history and top 10 offenses in FCS during all 4 years. Moved up to Penn St as OC to start making a name for himself. This is his second year at Penn State.  Look at what they were doing before him and what they have done since. 

3 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

He has been a head coach. Furman 38-10. Took them to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. 4 of the most prolific offenses in Furman history and top 10 offenses in FCS during all 4 years. Moved up to Penn St as OC to start making a name for himself. This is his second year at Penn State.  Look at what they were doing before him and what they have done since. 

I'll eat crow on that then. Would like to see a little more than just Furman but that's better than I thought. What's his recruiting pedigree so far?

29 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

FYI, he was Head Coach at Fordham, his alma mater.

33 minutes ago, VAtiger12 said:

I'll eat crow on that then. Would like to see a little more than just Furman but that's better than I thought. What's his recruiting pedigree so far?

No need to eat crow. But he has more HC experience than Gus did starting out. 

17 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Since AU isn't likely to recruit boatloads of 4 & 5-star players year after year (like some schools we know,) I would want a HC who has demonstrated that he can get the most out of his players -- one who can take a perennial losing team and can come in right away to coach 'em up & get them to win.  Easier said than done, right?  Agreed, but here's someone AU should take a real hard look at:  Keep an eye on him this season   

I said it in anote thread myself. Brohm would probably be my first interview if I were hiring a coach. 

3 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I think he would if we made a competent AD hire.  

I'm looking for a logical reason.....leave a school where he will never get fired to come to AU....and please don't say money.....

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I'm looking for a logical reason.....leave a school where he will never get fired to come to AU....and please don't say money.....

Chance to win something other than the egg bowl??  I said earlier in the thread that I think he is not the complacent type.  I could be wrong though.  

Just now, casatiger said:

Chance to win something other than the egg bowl??  I said earlier in the thread that I think he is not the complacent type.  I could be wrong though.  

And a good chance he would be coaching in FCS after 4 years.      If he were not complacent /satisfied with his current job, he could have been gone from MSU before now.      Mullens has been at MSU 8 years so why leave to play the same schedule somewhere else for a worse fan base?  

Seen too many coaches whose ambition out ran their skill and talent...and did not know when they were well off.  DM seems to not be one of them.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

And a good chance he would be coaching in FCS after 4 years.      If he were not complacent /satisfied with his current job, he could have been gone from MSU before now.      Mullens has been at MSU 8 years so why leave to play the same schedule somewhere else for a worse fan base?  

Seen too many coaches whose ambition out ran their skill and talent...and did not know when they were well off.  DM seems to not be one of them.

Well he has interviewed multiple times over that 8 years. 

Just now, casatiger said:

Well he has interviewed multiple times over that 8 years. 

When he took himself out of the Penn State job, I was surprised.  I think AU64 may be correct regarding Mullen not wanting to move from MSU.  I think UF would be his first choice if he did.

wde

2 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

I want Coach Steele to be promoted to Head Coach......just as long as he makes a good OC hire. I wouldn't mind one bit if he continued calling the shots with the defense, because what he's been doing has been working.

I know he credits Muschamp for building the foundation of our A+ defense, which he most definitely did. However, to Steele's credit, he continued developing this talented team into the rockstar defense they are today. Many coaches get a talented group but ruin it with their poor coaching and mismanagement of personnel (Gus, I'm looking at you only).

Sure would hate to see us get another guy with virtually zero HC experience.  Steele has done a good job with the defense...no doubt about that..but no reason why anyone should think he could run an entire program.  JMO

As for Mullen...pulling out of the PSU job was interesting since he is from the state of Pennsylvania and it would "going home".      Not surprised that he would interview periodically which is a great way to learn some stuff about how other programs are run....and also perhaps to make him appreciate what he has.  I'm considering that he's a guy who knows what he wants and has pretty much found it.

Just sayin'.....when Gus is gone, be prepared for someone underwhelming ...no matter who our AD is.  Our next good coaching hire will happen when Saban is gone.

11 hours ago, casatiger said:

I like that top 3 but would flip Fleck and Brohm.

Yea there isn't a ton of separation between the 3 for me. I just want one of them, badly. Brohm is doing magical things right now. I look at him and see a James Franklin. Speaking of Franklin, we should have hired him in 2013. Makes me sick we missed on him.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea there isn't a ton of separation between the 3 for me. I just want one of them, badly. Brohm is doing magical things right now. I look at him and see a James Franklin. Speaking of Franklin, we should have hired him in 2013. Makes me sick we missed on him.

Franklin is a good coach, but he is a lot like Houston Nutt...........................................B****s**t artist

He's got Penn State humming. I don't care about him being a bull**** artist. I'm hoping Auburn will become more results drivin and less concerned with a coach that can get along with everyone in the AD. That's the only way that we are going to compete with Saban now and Dabo in the future. 

Archived