Grade Our O Line

thaitopher

Wasn't Tega's in the entire game and didn't James get pulled after the first series? I am not a football guy but would be very interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

• WarTiger changed the title to Grade Our O Line
33 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

corchjay will probably paint this picture tonight sometime. I'm curious as well.

I have not watched the replay yet and was ball watching to much to catch everything.  Just a quick observation it appears though that we just didn’t miss many assignments on the line.  So that keeps you on time on offense.  UGA also wasn’t able to rush the passer without blitzing.  Which opens everything up if you pick it up.  Also as mentioned in another thread Golson and Smith dominated the right side of the line of scrimmage in run blocking.  It was a total mismatch.

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

Wasn't Tega's in the entire game and didn't James get pulled after the first series? I am not a football guy but would be very interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

If I'm not mistaken it was soon after James got beat in pass protection early in the game. 

Personally I’d love to keep tega, Harrell, Dunn, smith, and golsen as the o line. Seems that this lineup is the most dominate and consistent. 

It will be tomorrow before I watch the replay but Coach Ray would be the guy to really break down the OL.  Not my specialty however being a former coach I might know more then the average bear.  I was a QB late in my playing career and a running back early.  So I gravitate obviously more to those positions.  

Calling @JMR

Watching the replay now and Braden Smith tossed Trenton Thompson around like a rag doll all day. 

4 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I thought I saw Golson starting at LT but he moved to RT at some point. Also I #86 played quite a bit at TE.

17 minutes ago, creed said:

I thought I saw Golson starting at LT but he moved to RT at some point. Also I #86 played quite a bit at TE.

Golson did start the game at LT.

19 minutes ago, creed said:

We went 1 back unbalanced line a lot if my memory is correct to be able to handle the OLB.  Also Cox lines up several times on the end of the line however in the backfield for those same reasons.  We wanted our guards on their DTs and our OTs on their ends.  Was a good matchup for us.  Dunn was able to chip the DT then move up to the backers.  Braden may have had his best game as a Tiger against quality competition.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

We went 1 back unbalanced line a lot if my memory is correct to be able to handle the OLB.  Also Cox lines up several times on the end of the line however in the backfield for those same reasons.  We wanted our guards on their DTs and our OTs on their ends.  Was a good matchup for us.  Dunn was able to chip the DT then move up to the backers.  Braden may have had his best game as a Tiger against quality competition.

If my memory serves correctly i think #86 is Dunn and he plays nasty... Just the way I like the line to play. Play to the echo of the whistle is what I've been taught in years past.

3 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Personally I’d love to keep tega, Harrell, Dunn, smith, and golsen as the o line. Seems that this lineup is the most dominate and consistent. 

I mean who's the better pass blocker Tega or James? James has been horrid at times. Tega has been inconsistent too.

9 minutes ago, creed said:

If my memory serves correctly i think #86 is Dunn and he plays nasty... Just the way I like the line to play. Play to the echo of the whistle is what I've been taught in years past.

86 is Tucker brown.  TE/HB.  Cox backup.  And yes a solid blocker/role player

Just now, WFE12 said:

I mean who's the better pass blocker Tega or James? James has been horrid at times. Tega has been inconsistent too.

Tega.  James should have always been inside.  That’s why we need a quality OT in this years class.  

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

I think Tega by a hair and its more because of James' injury. He does appear to be improving though. 

James is hurt and tried to give it a go, but you could just see that he really wasn't able and they pulled him out early. I am impressed with the versatility (out of necessity) of our O-Line. Kudos to them!

47 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Getting Dunn so Golson can move around as needed has been one of the keys to success this year, along with the improvement of Tega and Harrell.  

Totally agree! Dunn isn't the biggest, strongest, or fastest BUT he helps stabilize that OL. Plus, allows Golson's versatility to shine...as you pointed out.:thumbsup:

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, bigbird said:

reviewing the game now... quick hits...Harrell is doing well, our blocking schemes were well thought out and executed most times(watch Smith 'roach em' when he pulls back side on rollout /waggle action) ,Cox cleaned up trash well which really helps,Prince needs to cut down his steps to the outside because he leaves such a gap that defenders spin back in on him thru the gap, down field blockers need to seek and destroy instead of peaking back for the ball carrier...oh...Dunn is a great find for us...he is proof that you can block without pancaking guys(just get in the way sometimes)...more later

Archived