2001 Alabama Super Seniors

Proud Tiger

As Carnell moves on, I thought it interesting to look back to February 2001 and see where the Birmingham News Super Seniors signed and how they fared.

1. RB Carnell Williams-after committing early to Tennessee, Cadillac picked Auburn over childhood favorite bama. Despite missing some games in his freshman and soph years, he had a fabulous career on the Plains, breaking many of Bo's records and should be a Top 10 in this yerar's NFL draft.

2. QB Brodie Croyle-Redshirted as a freshman and has had an up and down career at bama due to a series of season-ending injuries. Has been brilliant at times but signed with bama at a time when program was saddled with NCAA sanctions. could see better times in his upcoming senior year.

3. WR Anthony Mix-Mix has had his moments at Auburn, such as the bama game in 2003 and the Georgia game in 2004, but has lacked consistency. He should play a stronger role in Auburn's passing game in 2005.

4. LB Lamarcus Russell-following a big recruiting battle between Auburn and Ga., Rowell signed with the Tigers but was a big disappointment. He didn't get into school right away because of a screw-up by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Then he was busted by the Opelika Police on a drugs and weapons charge prior to the start of the 2003 season. TT agreed to let him come back if he would spend a trouble free year in JC, which he did. But when he came back for the 2004 season, it was obvious his mind wasn't on FB and he was booted off the team for good.

5.RB Keldrick Williams-Signed with Tenn. he wanted badly to come to Auburn but we promised Carnell he would be the only back signed if he came.. So keldrick wound up at Tenn. which signed about five RBs in 2001 and he never really got a chance there. he transferred to hometown Alabama St. where he was a star.

6.LB Freddie Roach-Roach has been a steady player at bama and has proved worthy of his Super Senior recognition.

7. Avery Gibson-Signed with N.C. State. If he made any noise with the Wolfpack it wasn't heard loudly back in Alabama.

8.Pierre Brown-signed with Arkansas and went on to have an outstanding career. This was one the got away from Auburn and bama.

9.OL Von Ewing-Signed with bama and was maybe the biggest bust of their 2001 class. he was an early commit to bama and bragged about how many recruits he was going to bring in. He and Croyle traveled together out to the Rose Bowl together in 2001 to see bama get beat by UCLA and since has been a big disappointment.

10. DE Justin Tuck-Auburn came close to getting him but he signed with N.D. Despite the N.D. program being down somewhat, Tuck had an excellent career and should go high in the upcoming NFL draft.

11. DL McKinley Boyd-He orginally committed to Auburn but switched to Ole Miss at the last minute. he had an outstanding season last year as a junior and could be the best DT in the SEC in 2005.

12. TE Cedrick Hampton--Signed with South Carolina and little has been heard from him since.

It would be nice if you could give a list of the recruiting rankings for that year and the stars for each player.

I was also wondering, what Jason Campbell was rated as a quarterback. I just wanted to compare Campbell and Cox because Cox was ranked the #9 quarterback in 2002.

It would be nice if you could give a list of the recruiting rankings for that year and the stars for each player. 

I was also wondering, what Jason Campbell was rated as a quarterback.  I just wanted to compare Campbell and Cox because Cox was ranked the #9 quarterback in 2002.

150004[/snapback]

Campbell was the #2 rated QB in the nation coming out of H.S. Brock Berlin was #1.

3. WR Anthony Mix-Mix has had his moments at Auburn, such as the bama game in 2003 and the Georgia game in 2004, but has lacked consistency. He should play a stronger role in Auburn's passing game in 2005.

149952[/snapback]

Lacks consistency? I cant even remember a time where Mix has even dropped a pass. The guy is so big, everytime he catches the ball he gains 5-10 more yards...its just that with Caddy and Ronnie, combined with Obomanu and Taylor....its hard to get the ball thrown your way...but when it does ive always noticed its a for sure catch with Mix...hes a big fast target. I would say he hasnt had the ball thrown to him as much as others on the team, but I wouldnt say he lacks consistency.

So I am gonna have to disagree there.

150004[/snapback]

Sorry I don't have that info.

149952[/snapback]

Lacks consistency? I cant even remember a time where Mix has even dropped a pass. The guy is so big, everytime he catches the ball he gains 5-10 more yards...its just that with Caddy and Ronnie, combined with Obomanu and Taylor....its hard to get the ball thrown your way...but when it does ive always noticed its a for sure catch with Mix...hes a big fast target. I would say he hasnt had the ball thrown to him as much as others on the team, but I wouldnt say he lacks consistency.

So I am gonna have to disagree there.

150020[/snapback]

I wasn't knocking Mix in any way. But he has dropped his share. By inconsistency I meant he has a way of disappearing. He will have a great game then hardly anything for awhile. He doesn't catch a lot of balls on a consistent basis. Maybe that's just the offensive plan, I don't know.

i agree with the inconsistent tag. i can't honestly say going into any game that i KNOW for a fact that anthony is going to show up and be a big target and make plays. i can say that about ct. i can say that about ben even... he knows how to find the endzone. but mix just kinda fades into nothing when we don't call plays specifically for him it seems. hopefully, he'll take this year to step out of that and improve his draft status while providing cox with an incredibly athletic and large target.

Would love to have a site developing this idea.

A review of recruiting guru spin.

I have a nother idea for a new site, but it will have to wait for another post.

Would love to have a site developing this idea.

A review of recruiting guru spin.

I have a nother idea for a new site, but it will have to wait for another post.

150118[/snapback]

The owner of www.woopig.net has created a board just as you're describing to track Arkansas recruits, their hype, and their eventual production.

Note: the woopig.net board isn't the recruiting board, but he could point you to it if you asked.

I remember talking with Troy's strength coach when Ewing signed and he said they worked him out. I believe he's a Charles Henderson grad. He said they strongly considered not offering the kid because he was one of the weakest linemen he'd ever seen. Said Ewing was all hype and a project at best.

Archived