Looking ahead to 2018 RBs

WDE_OxPx_2010

4 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

I'm sorry to inform you that Worm will not redshirt. 

@Momma Worm I didn't say that as a knock on your child. You are a sports mom so I understand how my comment would make you feel. Between the rb's that we already have and that have redshirted and been through the system it's like I said "more likely" that he redshirts. I'm pulling for Worm as he's one of my most anticipated players to watch. If he somehow doesn't redshirt and plays that's great.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, WDavE said:

Maybe this will help with your doubts on his speed.

Chaminade Madonna junior Shaun Shivers is one of the most electrifying two-sport athletes in the country. On the football field he's ranked as a four star prospect and 12th best RB in the country for the class of 2018. On the track, he owns the 8th fastest all conditions 100m time of 10.47 (2.8 m/s) fourth fastest 200m time of 21.13 by a sophomore. Recently, Shivers announced he will fulfill his dream to be a successful dual sport athlete at the Auburn University.

It absolutely does.

At one point I had real doubts about this kid. Not really anymore. I guess the only doubt I really have is the ability Gus has to actually get the ball into his hands. Gus isn't exactly known for putting the ball in his playmakers hands. 

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Wait... hold on just one minute... somebody said they're not sold on Shaun Shivers's *speed*?

Oh, I see it's the same person who said that Hastings can't get separation. Cool.

You are taking my statement about Hastings out of context. I said that after he catches the ball he poses no threat. 

I never said that Hastings wasn't quick. I said separation after the catch. Sure if he had no one within 30 yards of him he walks into the end zone, but if there is a defender right beside him when he makes the catch, he goes down. I just went back, looked through my post history and found what you were talking about... And you know dang well the conversation was about him separating himself from defenders that are RIGHT BESIDE HIM. How many broken tackles have you seen Hastings make? That was my point and you KNOW that... But why should I expect different from you? CNN must be your favorite TV channel the way you like to twist facts and statements.

Now as far as Shivers goes, I went off his bio. 4.52 isn't exactly lightning fast world class speed. 4.52 isn't the speed of one of the fastest players in one of the fastest states in the country. So does that mean I am wrong or that his listed speed is wrong? Because when you are talking about the fastest players in Florida, you are looking at 4.2 and 4.3 speed, not 4.52. 4.2/4.3 and 4.52 is a different class of speed. So excuse me if I go off of someones bio when it comes to talking about their speed.

17 hours ago, WFE12 said:

@Momma Worm I didn't say that as a knock on your child. You are a sports mom so I understand how my comment would make you feel. Between the rb's that we already have and that have redshirted and been through the system it's like I said "more likely" that he redshirts. I'm pulling for Worm as he's one of my most anticipated players to watch. If he somehow doesn't redshirt and plays that's great.

@WFE12 its cool. I didn't take it as such. I was just advising you that he wouldn't redshirt. What you will learn about Shaun Shivers is that he is tough strong & has the heart of a lion. I say that to say he is READY to compete as he has always had to do on this journey. The only thing he lacks is height and he gains a new fan everyday he proves someone else wrong. I read these comments and I laugh, but I appreciate these comments because it lets him know how much harder he needs to work when people are "Sleep" (That's how we say it in S. Florida lol) on him & what he really is capable of. So please please don't think that I took it some sort of way because I didn't. I love that fact that he is one of the longest commits and helped recruit the guys that you all speak so highly of... but people forget about him lol. WAR EAGLE!

28 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are taking my statement about Hastings out of context. I said that after he catches the ball he poses no threat. 

I never said that Hastings wasn't quick. I said separation after the catch. Sure if he had no one within 30 yards of him he walks into the end zone, but if there is a defender right beside him when he makes the catch, he goes down. I just went back, looked through my post history and found what you were talking about... And you know dang well the conversation was about him separating himself from defenders that are RIGHT BESIDE HIM. How many broken tackles have you seen Hastings make? That was my point and you KNOW that... But why should I expect different from you? CNN must be your favorite TV channel the way you like to twist facts and statements.

Now as far as Shivers goes, I went off his bio. 4.52 isn't exactly lightning fast world class speed. 4.52 isn't the speed of one of the fastest players in one of the fastest states in the country. So does that mean I am wrong or that his listed speed is wrong? Because when you are talking about the fastest players in Florida, you are looking at 4.2 and 4.3 speed, not 4.52. 4.2/4.3 and 4.52 is a different class of speed. So excuse me if I go off of someones bio when it comes to talking about their speed.

I would invite you to watch his huddle from his senior year. It seems that everyone is watching his sophomore highlights lol. The time is accurate because that's what he ran during that time. He did not place that as his Bio time, Nike submitted that information not him. However he is a legitimate speedster on the field and track. He has rushed for 6,000 yards in his high school career. Don't judge a book by its cover until you actually see him play. He will surprise you! War Eagle!

1 minute ago, Momma Worm said:

I would invite you to watch his huddle from his senior year. It seems that everyone is watching his sophomore highlights lol. The time is accurate because that's what he ran during that time. He did not place that as his Bio time, Nike submitted that information not him. However he is a legitimate speedster on the field and track. He has rushed for 6,000 yards in his high school career. Don't judge a book by its cover until you actually see him play. He will surprise you! War Eagle!

I have watched his film now. I'm super excited for your boy to suit up. I absolutely ment no knock on Worm. I just went off the stats on his bio. Has he grown much? Our bio has him listed at 5'7 but HUDL has (or had) him listed at 5'5. Either way he truly is a wrecking ball. That young man truly brings it and plays MUCH bigger than his size. Looking for him to be a great contributor. Hopefully he doesn't redshirt next season and we get to see him run over people. I think he would be killer running "woody." From his highlights he reminds me a lot of Christian Okoye. Which is surprising because of his size. Okoye ran over people because of his size. Worm seems to run over people despite his size. That's heart that can't be taught. 

18 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

@WFE12 its cool. I didn't take it as such. I was just advising you that he wouldn't redshirt. What you will learn about Shaun Shivers is that he is tough strong & has the heart of a lion. I say that to say he is READY to compete as he has always had to do on this journey. The only thing he lacks is height and he gains a new fan everyday he proves someone else wrong. I read these comments and I laugh, but I appreciate these comments because it lets him know how much harder he needs to work when people are "Sleep" (That's how we say it in S. Florida lol) on him & what he really is capable of. So please please don't think that I took it some sort of way because I didn't. I love that fact that he is one of the longest commits and helped recruit the guys that you all speak so highly of... but people forget about him lol. WAR EAGLE!

Now that Kerryon and Kam are both leaving, I think there's a pretty good chance he'll get some reps. If they had stayed, I would have agreed with others that he would be red shirting, not because he didn't have the drive or capability to compete the first year, but because Gus wanted to maximize his availability for the future, when we won't have 6 other backs who have no choice but to burn eligibility. Now that we're down to 4 other backs, I can definitely see the possibility of Worm getting some packages, like Barrett did this year. Still, don't be disappointed if he doesn't play.  Think of it this way, when you have something you know is good, you want to keep it around as long as you can.

6 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

I know we've talked about it before, Momma, but Auburn fans see a guy who's not shaped like Bo Jackson and they say he's too small right up until the 8th or 9th game of the season and they realize he's been running for a bill a game and has already trucked a few NFL linebackers.

It's hard for some of us to get past first impressions, I guess. Also, a lot of us don't know much about pad level, balance, vision, leg drive, mass vs force, "small" vs "compact", "quick" vs "fast" (your son appears off the charts in both categories), top end speed vs acceleration (ditto), etc. 

So glad you reminded us that Shaun was in early and has been recruiting so tirelessly for us. Just one more reason to be excited about him. He reminds me of Deshaun Davis, who will become a very handsomely compensated professional athlete next April, and who has made it a lot more fun to be an Auburn fan the last couple years. 

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I have watched his film now. I'm super excited for your boy to suit up. I absolutely ment no knock on Worm. I just went off the stats on his bio. Has he grown much? Our bio has him listed at 5'7 but HUDL has (or had) him listed at 5'5. Either way he truly is a wrecking ball. That young man truly brings it and plays MUCH bigger than his size. Looking for him to be a great contributor. Hopefully he doesn't redshirt next season and we get to see him run over people. I think he would be killer running "woody." From his highlights he reminds me a lot of Christian Okoye. Which is surprising because of his size. Okoye ran over people because of his size. Worm seems to run over people despite his size. That's heart that can't be taught. 

Yeah a lot of his stuff is old because he isn't really a camp guy. His height listed on his last 2 physicals is 5'7. I'm 5'5 and he is taller than me.. if that means anything lol. He is different than any athlete you will see for the simple fact that he plays with a chip on his shoulder and I love it. I feel that he will be utilized this year somewhere on the field. We have major speed now with the commitment of Anthony Schwartz. Its a state meet every time they race, for the simple fact that they race in the same class division every week. On another note, Worm was ranked #2 in the nation in the 100 yard dash as a 7 year old and has been a state contender in high school since 9th grade being the only 9th grader. If he focused only on track, NOBODY would beat him but he is a football guy. His work ethic is crazy and he goes hard. His mindset is just different. I know that means nothing coming from me because I'm his mom... But when given the opportunity, I'm sure he wont disappoint. WAR EAGLE!

6 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Yeah a lot of his stuff is old because he isn't really a camp guy. His height listed on his last 2 physicals is 5'7. I'm 5'5 and he is taller than me.. if that means anything lol. He is different than any athlete you will see for the simple fact that he plays with a chip on his shoulder and I love it. I feel that he will be utilized this year somewhere on the field. We have major speed now with the commitment of Anthony Schwartz. Its a state meet every time they race, for the simple fact that they race in the same class division every week. On another note, Worm was ranked #2 in the nation in the 100 yard dash as a 7 year old and has been a state contender in high school since 9th grade being the only 9th grader. If he focused only on track, NOBODY would beat him but he is a football guy. His work ethic is crazy and he goes hard. His mindset is just different. I know that means nothing coming from me because I'm his mom... But when given the opportunity, I'm sure he wont disappoint. WAR EAGLE!

It absolutely means something coming from his mother. You know him and his thought process more than anyone. Your inside take is greatly appreciated!

Lionel James at 5'6" was an Auburn legend out of the backfield that went on to a terrific NFL career. We have plenty of guys on deck to be the traditional "hammers" to compliment Shaun for that same alternating "Big Train/Little Train" impact that some of the best defenses in the country never figure out. Exciting times ahead!

11 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

Worm is one of my favorite recruits this year!!!  One of the biggest reasons is his passion to prove his critics wrong.  Another reason I love Worm is the wonderful, loving support of his @Momma Worm!!!

I am really looking forward to seeing him in O&B, proving people wrong and watching @Momma Worm cheering and laughing all along the way!

22 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Now that Kerryon and Kam are both leaving, I think there's a pretty good chance he'll get some reps. If they had stayed, I would have agreed with others that he would be red shirting, not because he didn't have the drive or capability to compete the first year, but because Gus wanted to maximize his availability for the future, when we won't have 6 other backs who have no choice but to burn eligibility. Now that we're down to 4 other backs, I can definitely see the possibility of Worm getting some packages, like Barrett did this year. Still, don't be disappointed if he doesn't play.  Think of it this way, when you have something you know is good, you want to keep it around as long as you can.

I am not worried. Worm will be fine. He received his offer from Gus himself, so its apparent that he saw something that he could use. Everything is always on God's timing. Worm had over 30 offers & he saw something in Auburn that stood out, he had every option to change and go wherever he wanted to go. He was committed since the beginning of his Junior year & helped recruit half of the guys in his class. I respect his decision and support him 100% on this journey. WAR EAGLE!

On 1/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, cole256 said:

Whelp here's to hoping the juniors and sophomores we haven't seen play are good ?

Agree.... but these are the same players Gus doesn't trust and give significant playing time during SEC games.  I guess he's going to develop them now since he has no choice. 

Gus is the one I don't trust. Smh.

14 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

I am not worried. Worm will be fine. He received his offer from Gus himself, so its apparent that he saw something that he could use. Everything is always on God's timing. Worm had over 30 offers & he saw something in Auburn that stood out, he had every option to change and go wherever he wanted to go. He was committed since the beginning of his Junior year & helped recruit half of the guys in his class. I respect his decision and support him 100% on this journey. WAR EAGLE!

He has been FANTASTIC with recruiting and that’s just from what I have seen on Twitter. 

I’m excited to see him suit up for us in the next few years. 

I just want recruiting stories. I think it would be so cool to experience (and probably stressful depending on the situation), the recruiting process as a parent. 

And he plays with a chip on his shoulder?!? He will fit right on in at AU. 

This board would look a lot more level headed if people knew the players parents were actively reading all the posts

Excited to see Worm have a Noel Devine type of impact except trucking people too! 

On 1/3/2018 at 9:10 PM, WFE12 said:

Worm will most likely redshirt. The staff and players have spoken very highly of Boobie but there was a guy named Sal that was talked up a lot and he didn't do squat so I'm just hoping at this point.

Worm will not redshirt imo

On January 3, 2018 at 9:05 PM, AUwent said:

Hmmm...wasn't very highly rated. I just don't like having to rely on 3*s. Then again, both Asa and Worm are 4*s, same as KP and KJ.

Don't forget about Barrett.. 4 Star RB

On January 5, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Momma Worm said:

Momma, a ton of us that are seriously into recruiting and AU know a ton about Worm. Almost everything you are saying are things that if people would do some research would already know. Many, many of us on this board know all about your son, his capabilities in football and track and his work in helping to recruit this class. HE IS FAMILY AND YOU ARE TOO!

We can't wait for Shawn to hit the field in Orange and Blue. Take care.

Archived