2019 4* DE Nathan Pickering (Miss St.)

WFE12

While it's true you can get to the next level by playing just about anywhere this commitment makes you wonder about some things.  I get it that he will be close to home and his family can see him play.  What I don't get is a conference full of legit contending teams with proven DL coaches that have a track record of getting you there and you end up at MSU.  It could be the Mississippi draw for reasons mentioned and it can also be where a kid does not feel great about the competition.  He might feel like his track to early playing time and being one of the best DL on the team comes easier at MSU.  After reading the very long article concerning Ole Miss and all of this multitude of things that MSU got out of with the NCAA without even a warning makes me wonder if they have any reason not to continue their shady practices that were all covered in detail in that article.  Being from Mississippi or not, one does not visit Starkvegas and think man this is an awesome place that blows away anything I have seen.  Nate visited a bunch of great schools.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

While it's true you can get to the next level by playing just about anywhere this commitment makes you wonder about some things.  I get it that he will be close to home and his family can see him play.  What I don't get is a conference full of legit contending teams with proven DL coaches that have a track record of getting you there and you end up at MSU.  It could be the Mississippi draw for reasons mentioned and it can also be where a kid does not feel great about the competition.  He might feel like his track to early playing time and being one of the best DL on the team comes easier at MSU.  After reading the very long article concerning Ole Miss and all of this multitude of things that MSU got out of with the NCAA without even a warning makes me wonder if they have any reason not to continue their shady practices that were all covered in detail in that article.  Being from Mississippi or not, one does not visit Starkvegas and think man this is an awesome place that blows away anything I have seen.  Nate visited a bunch of great schools.

Those of us nor from Mississippi probably can't grasp the in state pressure those kids have not to go to an Alabama school & the general disdain there for Alabama schools. I know I can't grasp it. I've just heard about it.

As for the highlighted part it's hard to definitively say that because we aren't in their shoes & Miss St. supposedly has made some big upgrades. AKA the heart sees what it wants sometimes.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Those of us nor from Mississippi probably can't grasp the in state pressure those kids have not to go to an Alabama school & the general disdain there for Alabama schools. I know I can't grasp it. I've just heard about it.

As for the highlighted part it's hard to definitively say that because we aren't in their shoes & Miss St. supposedly has made some big upgrades. AKA the heart sees what it wants sometimes.

You are correct about the heart sees what it wants for sure.  I just have trouble with a school that sits down with the NCAA and fully discloses that players that are on their roster accepted impermissible benefits from MSU and Ole Miss.  Told the NCAA that they received large sums of money from both schools and MSU gets immunity from the testimony to crush the other school.  Then we find out that Danny boy Mullen even told the kid what to say and coached him up on how to tell his story.  That kid is now being sued by people for any future earnings from the NFL and ole Danny boy is off to UF and has washed his hands.  What makes MSU care about cheating after this?  Especially this on top of being caught offering money to Cecil Newton and getting nothing from that as well while Auburn got the prostate exam.

E you have very valid points on why in state kids would go there, and this is not sour grapes, but for a kid to commit without even taking his OV to Auburn when he could have committed to MSU next week after his OV to us just seems fishy to me.

6 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

for a kid to commit without even taking his OV to Auburn when he could have committed to MSU next week after his OV to us just seems fishy to me.

He's still taking his OVs. Just none before the Summer dead period now.

As for the fishy part, it may or may not be. Teams leading push for commits quite often just before a recruit takes an OV to another school. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. It did for Miss St. for now.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

He's still taking his OVs. Just none before the Summer dead period now.

Well that is good news for sure.

1 minute ago, NorthGATiger said:

Well that is good news for sure.

Added another part to my post FWIW.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Added another part to my post FWIW.

Yes it did.  It has been somewhat quiet on Nate and I did not know that MSU was in a position to do that but they obviously were and did.  Thanks for the update.

I want this kid but of all the positions to lose out on DL is probably the least impactful as we have lot of depth now and have already signed two good ones with other good prospects out there.  Still would love to get him but as many have said once a kid commits it is much harder to flip him then to get the initial commitment.

47 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

have already signed two good ones

I hope the NCAA doesn't know. We could get in trouble for that. ;D

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope the NCAA doesn't know. We could get in trouble for that. ;D

I deserved that.

LOL

• 2 months later...

Mississippi schools are in general inferior to Auburn and bammer. I have a nephew who attends MSU on a scholarship (academic), and finds Starkville to be one  of most desolate outposts in all of the SEC schools. Starkville is a long way from any decent size city unlike Auburn being an almost bedroom community school to Atlanta. There are no decent comparisons to Starkville vs. Auburn. Bammer is not much better than MSU, but can claim a short run from Bham of which is nothing to get excited about. 

Archived