#19 Auburn vs LSU

Auhud08

After playing a full game in Columbia, MO the Auburn Tigers (18-2, 6-1) head back to the Plains to face another set of Tigers in LSU. Led by first-year head coach Will Wade, LSU (12-7, 3-4) heads to Auburn after beating Texas A&M for the second time. The gold and purple Tigers also hold a win over Arkansas, but have lost to Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Georgia. Nevertheless, there are no easy wins in the SEC this year as Auburn will have to play its best to overcome freshman Tremont Waters who’s averaging 15.7 pts, 3.7 reb, and 6 assists per game. Auburn needs to play a full two halves again to get the win. 

Tipoff is at 5PM (CT) on SEC Network. 

War Eagle!

Hoping students jam the place again tonight and that kind of support becomes the "norm" for home games.   And yep, the little LSU guard is a handful and Harper, etc will need to keep an eye on him and keep the middle closed down. 

Probably going to miss the first half on TV ...picking my wife up at the airport at 5 EST...hoping AA  it will be on time...but it's an hour drive home....so will likely have to depend on this forum for PBP until we get back. 

LSU has been a pretty good road team in the SEC this year. They have two road wins (at aTm and at Ark). They are one of the best raw shooting team in the SEC, and their effective shooting is even more impressive. And they have the best eFG% of any team in the SEC on the road at 53.1%. Inside the arc, they're a very good shooting team, and they're still capable of hitting the 3, which could be problematic since we still don't defend that particularly well.

They have some pretty good matchup advantages. Tremont Waters has been an electric PG all season. Has ridiculous range and distributes the ball well. Duop Reath is a big matchup problem. He's great in the post and can shoot the 3 pretty well. He's a 52% 3-point shooter. He doesn't shoot many, but we can't let him fire away all night. Aaron Epps is also a big for them that can shoot the 3 well. They play basically a 9-man rotation, they don't turn the ball over much, and they play pretty solid, aggressive m2m defense. Their HC is a fiery guy, and they seem to mirror his demeanor on the defensive end.

They're a fairly long team, but they're hot garbage rebounding. Dead last in the conference in every rebounding stat. That should be where we have an edge. And even with their height in the post, they don't defend the rim particularly well, which could help Harper and Mitchell getting to the rim and Murray working in the post.

I look for this game to be close early and for us to pour it on in the second half. 

Another solid SEC team that AU should be able to handle. If the combo of Harper, Brown, and Mitchell can give Waters some problems then i like our chances. I think this is a team we match up well against. They have more size underneath as most team will but i don't think they can overpower us underneath. Spencer and McLemore have to do a better job staying out of foul trouble this game. Beat LSU!! 

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

What's up with Brown? 

Slight sprain at the end of the Missouri game. 

7 hours ago, AU64 said:

Hoping students jam the place again tonight and that kind of support becomes the "norm" for home games.  And yep, the little LSU guard is a handful and Harper, etc will need to keep an eye on him and keep the middle closed down. 

Probably going to miss the first half on TV ...picking my wife up at the airport at 5 EST...hoping AA  it will be on time...but it's an hour drive home....so will likely have to depend on this forum for PBP until we get back. 

It's a hard sell out. Tickets are being scalped and the ticket office has issued a warning abut counterfeit tickets.  Who would have thought that AU basketball tickets would be scalped or counterfeits produced? I'm assuming the students are once again lined up outside the student entrance. I think Barbee tried to get something like this done, but along with being a good promoter, you have to win some games along the way and Barbee couldn't put a winning team on the floor.

Spencer ...4 fouls and no points....reminds me of Jim Luscotoff of the old Celtics hatchet man.....came in to work on defense when someone was giving them trouble. 

On 1/27/2018 at 12:25 PM, Auhud08 said:

@boomstick what is the effective stats you give? What are Auburns #s?

Sorry just now seeing this. eFG% adjust for the fact that 3s count for a point more than 2s. Basically, it gives us credit for hitting more 3s than 2s that the raw FG% doesn’t do. Auburn’s eFG% this year is 53.2%, which is 81st nationally as of this morning and 4th among SEC teams (behind Mizzou, Arkansas, and LSU). That’s about 2% above last year. We’re about 7% higher (56/49) at home than on the road. But our raw FG% is 45.2%, which is 129th nationally, and this shows 2s and 3s as equal shots. 

Archived