AU-24

Malzahn's contract details

Recommended Posts

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/malzahn-lands-a-2-million-raise

Now it's official. From 4.7 Million to 7 Million.

Auburn on Tuesday released coach Gus Malzahn's revised contract with the school, which is worth an average of $7 million per year through the 2024 season. He'll earn $6.7 million during the 2018 season and will receive a $100,000 raise through the life of the contract.

Malzahn's most recent revision, signed in 2014, was worth an average of $4.725 million per year before bonuses.

His buyout protection is strong. If Malzahn's is terminated without cause, he will be owed 75 percent of the remaining total value of the contract — with half of the contract's value due within 30 days of his termination.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




5 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/malzahn-lands-a-2-million-raise

Now it's official. From 4.7 Million to 7 Million.

Auburn on Tuesday released coach Gus Malzahn's revised contract with the school, which is worth an average of $7 million per year through the 2024 season. He'll earn $6.7 million during the 2018 season and will receive a $100,000 raise through the life of the contract.

Malzahn's most recent revision, signed in 2014, was worth an average of $4.725 million per year before bonuses.

His buyout protection is strong. If Malzahn's is terminated without cause, he will be owed 75 percent of the remaining total value of the contract — with half of the contract's value due within 30 days of his termination.

 

 

First, I don't see this as being such a big deal because the average coaching salary by 2024 will probably be 10 million.  Thanks Sexton.

Secondly: "Without cause"....  Well losing to many games is a cause.  HAHA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/malzahn-lands-a-2-million-raise

Now it's official. From 4.7 Million to 7 Million.

Auburn on Tuesday released coach Gus Malzahn's revised contract with the school, which is worth an average of $7 million per year through the 2024 season. He'll earn $6.7 million during the 2018 season and will receive a $100,000 raise through the life of the contract.

Malzahn's most recent revision, signed in 2014, was worth an average of $4.725 million per year before bonuses.

His buyout protection is strong. If Malzahn's is terminated without cause, he will be owed 75 percent of the remaining total value of the contract — with half of the contract's value due within 30 days of his termination.

 

 

and "Malzahn will owe Auburn a big check if he chooses to break the deal: $7 million if he leaves before Dec. 31, 2019; $5 million in 2020; $3 million in 2021; $2 million in 2022."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

and "Malzahn will owe Auburn a big check if he chooses to break the deal: $7 million if he leaves before Dec. 31, 2019; $5 million in 2020; $3 million in 2021; $2 million in 2022."

His buyout protection is strong, very strong! When people want to get rid of him in another year or two, 75% of the contract will be owed.

Keep in mind, there’s people who want rid of him now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone smarter than I tell me if this (below) is plain old, normal boiler-plate?

“…

7. Coaching Staff: Paragraph 7 is amended to read as follows:

Subject to the prior express written approval by the Director of Athletics, which will not be unreasonably withheld, and in accordance with University policy and state law, Coach shall have primary responsibility to select, employ, and terminate his staff…”

https://www.scribd.com/document/370886096/Gus-Malzahn-Contract-Revision-2018

 

Edited by AUld fAUx@
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay Jacobs screwed our new our new AD in terms of the most important contract on campus (the HC football job).  The next priority is finding a competent swim coach.

wde

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

Jay Jacobs screwed our new our new AD in terms of the most important contract on campus (the HC football job).  The next priority is finding a competent swim coach.

wde

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Jay Jacobs screwed our new our new AD in terms of the most important contract on campus (the HC football job).  The next priority is finding a competent swim coach.

wde

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

tenor.gif?itemid=5716768

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh boy, even more money for good ole Gus...

Well we must embrace him now regardless of personal opinion. Too much money to burn at this point. Let's hope a lightbulb turns on for him again. Our offense needs a reboot with new tendencies and we need to start Zagging when we're expected to Zig.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AU-24 said:

His buyout protection is strong, very strong! When people want to get rid of him in another year or two, 75% of the contract will be owed.

Keep in mind, there’s people who want rid of him now.

I don't want him gone because I honestly don't know for certain that Auburn can do better.  Obviously the AU Administration doesn't think they can do better proven by this lucrative contract they just inked.

I hate that Auburn has been used as training grounds for CGM for the last 5 yrs.  However, I will acknowledge that he's keep the W/L at AU's historical pace - I just wanted and expected more W's and more consistency AND for crying out loud, at least win the freaking bowl games.  

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't want him gone because I honestly don't know for certain that Auburn can do better.  Obviously the AU Administration doesn't think they can do better proven by this lucrative contract they just inked.

I hate that Auburn has been used as training grounds for CGM for the last 5 yrs.  However, I will acknowledge that he's keep the W/L at AU's historical pace - I just wanted and expected more W's and more consistently AND for crying out loud, at least win the freaking bowl games.  

I believe most of us (less a few hard cases) don't want him gone.  He actually represents Auburn VERY well and does a fantastic job as pertaining to about 95% of his job description.

I think your hammer met the nail on AU being his training ground and that has been hard to live with/through.

Now, if he'll just earn his degree in "Delegation" we may have a national power on our hands.  But, unfortunately, I'm too deep into the "Show Me" way of thinking right now.

Edited by AUsince72
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I believe most of us (less a few hard cases) don't want him gone.  He actually represents Auburn VERY well and does a fantastic job as pertaining to about 95% of his job description.

I think your hammer met the nail on AU being his training ground and that has been hard to live with/through.

Now, if he'll just earn his degree in "Delegation" we may have a national power on our hands.  But, unfortunately, I'm too deep into the "Show Me" way of thinking right now.

Well said all the way through, but this part is really interesting to me because I think 1) you're right and 2) that other 5% is really important.

I haven't really thought this analogy through, but it's like there's a guy whose job it is to never push the red button, which would cause some sort of crappy thing to happen. Not really horrible, but just crappy. So this guy does a great job of not pressing that button for the first 30 days of the month, but then on the last day of the month, he presses the button. That 1 bad day can really take the shine off of the 30 good ones.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well said all the way through, but this part is really interesting to me because I think 1) you're right and 2) that other 5% is really important.

I haven't really thought this analogy through, but it's like there's a guy whose job it is to never push the red button, which would cause some sort of crappy thing to happen. Not really horrible, but just crappy. So this guy does a great job of not pressing that button for the first 30 days of the month, but then on the last day of the month, he presses the button. That 1 bad day can really take the shine off of the 30 good ones.

Oh yes, you're absolutely correct.

It's a very damn important 5%!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't want him gone because I honestly don't know for certain that Auburn can do better.  Obviously the AU Administration doesn't think they can do better proven by this lucrative contract they just inked.

I hate that Auburn has been used as training grounds for CGM for the last 5 yrs.  However, I will acknowledge that he's keep the W/L at AU's historical pace - I just wanted and expected more W's and more consistently AND for crying out loud, at least win the freaking bowl games.  

After I watched the stuff going on at places replacing their coaches this year I'm pretty sure the answer is NO...and that if our next coach has a winning record in power 5 football we will be paying $10M per year or so and have a contract like the Aggies had to sign.   Of course it's rare for a successful Power 5 coach to leave voluntarily so that's an issue too.   

Lots of coaching changes this year and I'm wondering if any school actually advanced the ball with their coaching situation. ....and if Gus had split for ARky I still have no idea who might be at AU right now and how we would feel about him.   Once we get past the dream list of guys who are not changing jobs, the market is pretty poor if you are going to use NS or a bunch of NFL coaches as the measuring stick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keesler said:

I don't want him gone because I honestly don't know for certain that Auburn can do better.  Obviously the AU Administration doesn't think they can do better proven by this lucrative contract they just inked.

I hate that Auburn has been used as training grounds for CGM for the last 5 yrs.  However, I will acknowledge that he's keep the W/L at AU's historical pace - I just wanted and expected more W's and more consistency AND for crying out loud, at least win the freaking bowl games.  

I don't expect AU to be in the playoffs until he gets that ONE QB who fits his needs. Does not need to be a Heisman QB. I have come to accept that. I have also come to accept that the possibility of losing to a team like UW on a "neutral field" is relatively high. No point in stressing about it anymore.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a risky move either way and there's always a chance AU could blow out the bank and pull in a proven Jimbo Fisher (which Auburn has never done before)  ...and then there's always a chance they could land an Ed Orgeron. :puke:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we could get a good head coach IF we need a replacement. I fear no one would want to touch us between Sauron and Saruman (figure it out).

Edited by AUwent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, keesler said:

It's a risky move either way and there's always a chance AU could blow out the bank and pull in a proven Jimbo Fisher (which Auburn has never done before)  ...and then there's always a chance they could land an Ed Orgeron. :puke:

So, Gus isn't proven but Jimbo is?  Only difference is a win versus a loss in an NC game.

 

If we hired Fisher, I'd spend my Saturday's in the fall on the golf course all day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1856 said:

So, Gus isn't proven but Jimbo is?  Only difference is a win versus a loss in an NC game.

If we hired Fisher, I'd spend my Saturday's in the fall on the golf course all day.

Jimbo is much more proven than any coach we've ever hired at the time we hired him

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 1856 said:

So, Gus isn't proven but Jimbo is?  Only difference is a win versus a loss in an NC game.

 

If we hired Fisher, I'd spend my Saturday's in the fall on the golf course all day.

1

That is a significant difference seeing as many people go on throughout their coaching and playing career without an NC. Not to mention, Jimbo has been to the playoffs as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is a significant difference seeing as many people go on throughout their coaching and playing career without an NC. Not to mention, Jimbo has been to the playoffs as well. 

True, Mostly the same teams are there each year so just getting there puts one in pretty rare company and many pretty highly paid coaches have not done it...some never even won a conference championship. . 

But considering how imbalanced college football is these days, if you go back the past ten years there have not been many different coaches (or teams) in the playoffs or BCS championship... .and of the coaches I'm guessing that Jimbo and Urban are the only ones to voluntarily change college HC jobs and those moves were under some strange circumstances.     

JMO but it is a seller's market and timing has a lot to do with what some of the contracts look like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AU64 said:

True, Mostly the same teams are there each year so just getting there puts one in pretty rare company and many pretty highly paid coaches have not done it...some never even won a conference championship. . 

But considering how imbalanced college football is these days, if you go back the past ten years there have not been many different coaches (or teams) in the playoffs or BCS championship... .and of the coaches I'm guessing that Jimbo and Urban are the only ones to voluntarily change college HC jobs and those moves were under some strange circumstances.     

JMO but it is a seller's market and timing has a lot to do with what some of the contracts look like.  

This is not an indictment on Gus. He is a quality coach. But Jimbo is the more proven one. Simple as that. It would be hard to argue against this notion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is not an indictment on Gus. He is a quality coach. But Jimbo is the more proven one. Simple as that. It would be hard to argue against this notion.

Yep..no question....and he's being paid accordingly.....will be interesting to see how he does in a different environment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:25 PM, LKEEL75 said:

First, I don't see this as being such a big deal because the average coaching salary by 2024 will probably be 10 million.  Thanks Sexton.

Secondly: "Without cause"....  Well losing to many games is a cause.  HAHA

Jimmy Sexton....ruining football and most all sports since 1984.

Edited by AUfan_UAgrad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep..no question....and he's being paid accordingly.....will be interesting to see how he does in a different environment. 

That is where the rubber meets the road. Until a coach proves they can maintain the level they had elsewhere, in the SEC, their greatness is just talk.  There's a huge difference between facing 1 or 2 top 25 teams in the regular season and facing 5 or 6 just in your conference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now