Softball vs. Texas A&M game 2

Martin sets them down in order in the 5th.   Score some runs Auburn.     Draper, Taylon Snow, and McCrackin coming up. 

Draper chops it to 1st, fielded and toss to 2nd baseman covering the base and throw just in time.   Taylon Snow flies to center.  2 quick outs.   McCrackin up

Terrific catch by Martin in the circle as its lined hard right back to her but down by her ankles and she reaches down and snags it in flight for 2nd out. 

Martin sets them down in order in the 6th with 6 pitches.    no score.   Shea, Snow and Rivera coming up.   Sounds like a run or two there.  Let's score here.

good grief our hitting is abysmal. This is just sad. We should be up 2-0 or at least tied 1-1 in this series. This is embarrassing. We are wasting championship level pitching. I feel bad for martin and carlson.

Fantastic game pitched by Martin, and some great defense in the field as well. It's hard to understand how our hitting has fallen off so much. We've scored one run in two entire games this weekend.

I believe Coach Ketelhut is in over his head as a hitting coach in the SEC.   The jury is still out on Coach Dean as a head coach in the SEC.  He has done well with our pitchers.  

I concur, afe.  Hope he doesn't have more than a 1-year contract.  Recall that Dean had to scramble to find somebody after Glassco exited.  I'm hoping that Dean will tell Ketelhut "thanks for trying" and go after a top hitting coach when the season is over.  We were also probably hurt by the unexpected losses of Wallace, Schiele,and Greenwood.  Wallace is having a poor year at Baylor, though; hitting something like .103 in the Big 12 with two homers on the year.

Coach Dean should take a look at Bouse State's hitting coach.  They lead the NCAA in team batting average.  The competition is not SEC but it's not bad out there. 

Fantastic game by Martin. Please don't transfer out. 

How is it possible that our batters (the non-freshmen) forgot everything they learned about hitting from Myers coaching staff ?

I'm as disappointed as anyone with our results at the plate, but its unfair to criticize Dean or Ketelhut for the issues this season.  1.  They got a very late start with this team because of everything that went down with Myers and then Glasco leaving very shortly after being hired.   2.  The hitting problems aren't new to this season.  They started going down hill last year.   We batted .277 through 61 games in 2017 (only uat had a lower team batting average in 2017).   Through 50 games in 2018 we are batting  .289.  

19 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

I'm as disappointed as anyone with our results at the plate, but its unfair to criticize Dean or Ketelhut for the issues this season.  1.  They got a very late start with this team because of everything that went down with Myers and then Glasco leaving very shortly after being hired.   2.  The hitting problems aren't new to this season.  They started going down hill last year.   We batted .277 through 61 games in 2017 (only uat had a lower team batting average in 2017).   Through 50 games in 2018 we are batting  .289.  

Yep.....coaches got a late start but things have gotten worse with hitting if anything......seems that along they way the coaches could have made some adjustments that helped out.  Pitching has been great and guess CMD gets a good share of the credit though he inherited them and they were pretty danged good last year. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep.....coaches got a late start but things have gotten worse with hitting if anything......seems that along they way the coaches could have made some adjustments that helped out.  Pitching has been great and guess CMD gets a good share of the credit though he inherited them and they were pretty danged good last year. 

If CMD doesn't share in the blame for hitting due to late start, then not sure he should get all the credit for pitching.  Listening to some of the discussions from the current pitching staff about differences from last year, sounded like the jury was still out from them.  Some like his pitch sequence and some do not. Can probably figure out which side each are on given their body language.

9 hours ago, 4WDE said:

If CMD doesn't share in the blame for hitting due to late start, then not sure he should get all the credit for pitching.  Listening to some of the discussions from the current pitching staff about differences from last year, sounded like the jury was still out from them.  Some like his pitch sequence and some do not. Can probably figure out which side each are on given their body language.

I agree with that.....and just to note I did not give him all the credit.....he inherited two outstanding pitchers....but he's supposed to be a pitching guru and numbers are better than last year . His effort to put more emphasis on strikeouts  has seemed to have worked out.  

I don't know who calls the pitches...did not think it was him....but either way,  I would be reluctant to critique details like "pitch sequences"...thinking that if that were a real problem, the ERAs would reflect that.   I'm still" wait and see" about CMD overall as our HC based on my perception and questions about how he is relating to the team.  That's an issue that will be solved over time I guess....or not.      Hitting is a different issue and really needs some attention.

This is still a very tough team and is not a "walk in the park" for anyone playing AU this year.  Competition in the SEC west leaves no room for an off day. 

TAMU hitters seem to be sitting on the off speed pitches.  Quite a few of their hits this weekend have been off speed pitches.  This tells me that CMD is calling too many off speed pitches.

On the other hand, their pitchers are using the off speed as their "out" pitch.  Our hitters are having a difficult time picking up the off speed.  How many strike outs have we had watching or missing a 3rd strike off speed pitch this weekend?   You can blame this on coaching for not having an effective attack for an off speed out pitch and on the girls for not seeing and adjusting to the off speed pitches. 

37 minutes ago, around4ever said:

TAMU hitters seem to be sitting on the off speed pitches.  Quite a few of their hits this weekend have been off speed pitches.  This tells me that CMD is calling too many off speed pitches.

On the other hand, their pitchers are using the off speed as their "out" pitch.  Our hitters are having a difficult time picking up the off speed.  How many strike outs have we had watching or missing a 3rd strike off speed pitch this weekend?   You can blame this on coaching for not having an effective attack for an off speed out pitch and on the girls for not seeing and adjusting to the off speed pitches. 

Too many... Or tipping off the pitches..?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I don't know who calls the pitches...did not think it was him....but either way,  I would be reluctant to critique details like "pitch sequences"...thinking that if that were a real problem, the ERAs would reflect that.   I'm still" wait and see" about CMD overall as our HC based on my perception and questions about how he is relating to the team.  That's an issue that will be solved over time I guess....or not.      Hitting is a different issue and really needs some attention.

CMD does call the pitches.  Pitch sequences have improved overall., but you can't please all pitchers.  Pretty normal.

Archived