On Fascism

AUbritt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Not playing any I assume.

That was a typo. 

I played in NC a couple of times this summer. Was better than I thought, given how long it had been. 

47 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

His Dad was shot and killed in Phenix City before taking office for attorney general and John took his place on the ballot.  Phenix City was worst then Vegas mob days back then

I recall that ….our preacher in Fairhope had been in Phenix City and was "moved" by the church due to some concerns for him and his family.   

I take it you have read Ace Atkins's book about those days?   "Wicked City".....were you mentioned in it?  

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I recall that ….our preacher in Fairhope had been in Phenix City and was "moved" by the church due to some concerns for him and his family.   

I take it you have read Ace Atkins's book about those days?   "Wicked City".....were you mentioned in it?  

Oh yeah plus you need to watch if you haven't seen it. About 60% of it fact

54 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Today he would be a Trump Republican, though. 

I know you remember, but for those who don't, watch some footage of Wallace running for president and compare to Trump. Wallace would have kicked Trump's butt. 

No he would not, Wallace was more FDR Democrat that most of us can even comprehend. He was a Charter member of the Yellow Dog Democrat Society.

Whatever he would have been in the Democrat Party, rest assured, he would still be a Democrat.
Wallace a Republican?..not a chance. Only in some MSNBC interns mind maybe.

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh yeah plus you need to watch if you haven't seen it. About 60% of it fact

I'll take another look....been a long time.  Something from phase I of my life that mostly ended in about 1970.  :) 

5 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

No he would not, Wallace was more FDR Democrat that most of us can even comprehend. He was a Charter member of the Yellow Dog Democrat Society.

Whatever he would have been in the Democrat Party, rest assured, he would still be a Democrat.

Agree....and of course, so would Huey Long and Ross Barnett …...folks who were not around in those days have a hard time comprehending what it was like for anyone who had the courage to run against any of them.   And LBJ was routinely as coarse and vulgar as DT on his best/worst day....but nobody was around much to record it for history. 

10 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Lotta dems in Alabama became Republicans. 

I'm suggesting a thought experiment. What if Wallace had been born in 1970?

He'd have been a Republican, I think. 

And if he'd run in the last primary, he'd have beaten Trump and be the president now. 

Ok if you disagree. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Agree....and of course, so would Huey Long and Ross Barnett …...folks who were not around in those days have a hard time comprehending what it was like for anyone who had the courage to run against any of them.   And LBJ was routinely as coarse and vulgar as DT on his best/worst day....but nobody was around much to record it for history. 

Exactly.

7 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Lotta dems in Alabama became Republicans. 

I'm suggesting a thought experiment. What if Wallace had been born in 1970?

He's have been a Republican, I think. 

And if he'd run in the last primary, he'd have beaten Trump and be the president now. 

Ok if you disagree. 

I think you are totally misreading Wallace. He was a demagogues demagogue. He was Populist to the core. Wallace may have been a product of his era, but still, I cannot even consider that Wallace would be anything other than a Democrat. The Alabama Republicans, a party that I worked with for 25 years are just not the place for a dominant, strong, white male like Wallace. Wallace would still be drawn to the ADP because it is by structure still dominated by 1-2 (Worley & Reed) people. An entity that he could again control in a short while.

I was recently asked what would I change in the ADP. I told one of the higher aids in the party that I would go for a full rebranding of the party, change the name, etc. There are too many damaging things inside that name: ADP.

5 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I think you are totally misreading Wallace. He was a demagogues demagogue. He was Populist to the core. Wallace may have been a product of his era, but still, I cannot even consider that Wallace would be anything other than a Democrat. The Alabama Republicans, a party that I worked with for 25 years are just not the place for a dominant, strong, white male like Wallace. Wallace would still be drawn to the ADP because it is by structure still dominated by 1-2 (Worley & Reed) people. An entity that he could again control in a short while.

I was recently asked what would I change in the ADP. I told one of the higher aids in the party that I would go for a full rebranding of the party, change the name, etc. There are too many damaging things inside that name: ADP.

Ok, maybe so. 

Forget the actual Wallace, then; but imagine someone with Bannonite views and Wallace's political polish. That guy would have kicked Trump's butt. 

I still see Wallace as amenable to a Bannonite view, but I could be wrong. 

8 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Ok, maybe so. 

Forget the actual Wallace, then; but imagine someone with Bannonite views and Wallace's political polish. That guy would have kicked Trump's butt. 

I still see Wallace as amenable to a Bannonite view, but I could be wrong. 

Maybe. Wallace was a:

1) FDR Democrat.
2) Control Freak, when he couldnt run again, he made Lurleen run.
3) Populist to the core.
4) Was willing to adapt to any reasoning to promote himself as #2.
5) Whether it was Racist, Segregationist Rhetoric or Faux Liberalism to get the Black Vote, Wallace loved him some Wallace.

Read anything he said toward the end. He could never come 100% clean on admitting he was wrong.

8 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Just forget that he was a Democrat for a minute.

If Trump could string words together to make sentences, he might say something like this.

Just consider the chutzpah you have to have to be able to convince yourself that you need to be President.
Once you do that, you have to determine the vehicle of making that happen.

GCW: He chose populism and racism. When GCW is talking about "crime" everyone in the room knows its a dog whistle for "Black."

I cannot describe the feeling that I personally have to know that my Diploma from AU is signed by none other than GCW. 
GCW is why I think the ADP needs a total rebranding. Some of us, my age and older cringe every time we hear that voice. Some of us still cringe every time we hear the term ADP.

12 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Not yet up here. I want to bad, though. Bought my son an old set of Ben Hogan irons this summer in N. Myrtle Beach....

Hogans are good.......... I still have one of my old set of Hogans irons from the 80's. Not the biggest sweet spot but when you do hit man alive it is sweet

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hogans are good.......... I still have one of my old set of Hogans irons from the 80's. Not the biggest sweet spot but when you do hit man alive it is sweet

Learned how to play golf on these bad boys - still have them, too. Sweet indeed. 

ben-hogan-director-forged-blades-iron_1_

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Maybe. Wallace was a:

1) FDR Democrat.
2) Control Freak, when he couldnt run again, he made Lurleen run.
3) Populist to the core.
4) Was willing to adapt to any reasoning to promote himself as #2.
5) Whether it was Racist, Segregationist Rhetoric or Faux Liberalism to get the Black Vote, Wallace loved him some Wallace.

Read anything he said toward the end. He could never come 100% clean on admitting he was wrong.

Man that was GCW to the core. My Dad despised him

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Learned how to play golf on these bad boys - still have them, too. Sweet indeed. 

Damn Directors that's my set I still have. You the man barn also have the Producer set Producer ...........sorry for the hijack britt

PRODUCER%20STS.jpg

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn Directors that's my set I still have. You the man barn also have the Producer set...........sorry for the hijack britt

PRODUCER%20STS.jpg

Great clubs. They were my granddad's. I played on them until I was in high school, then switched over to my dad's old Titelist 704 CBs. Finally bought my own set of irons about a year and a half ago - Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (used). Thanks to those Hogans, I don't believe that I'll ever play an iron that isn't forged. The feel is too nice. 

One of these days I'm going go and get fitted for an entire new set of clubs - driver through all the way down to the lob wedge. Just figure, until I can break 80 with the clubs I already have, I can't justify brand new clubs. Also need to buy a new putter at some point. I'm gaming an old school Ping Anser at the moment. It's nice, but would prefer something with a little more weight in it. 

13 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Wallace a Republican?..not a chance. Only in some MSNBC interns mind maybe.

That’s debatable. Wallace was a democrat in the mold of his mentor, Jim Folsom, a progressive and a liberal, even sharing Folsom's moderation on the segregation issue. When he first ran, back in ‘58, it was on a moderate platform. He got thrashed by pro-KKK segregationist firebreather John Patterson in the Dem primary.

He flipped after that. He wasn’t subtle about why to his campaign officials. 

"I was out-niggered by John Patterson. And I'll tell you here and now, I will never be out-niggered again."

He was also an opportunist, and despite his reputation, a skilled politician. He sacrificed every bit of moral integrity he had in the quest to get into office and remain there. I don’t think he was even that serious about the segregation issue but for its value as a wedge.

I tried talking about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about niggers, and they stomped the floor.

I contend he would run as whatever has a better chance of getting him into office. 

He really is an interesting cautionary tale on the depths to which some will sink for political power.

57 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn Directors that's my set I still have. You the man barn also have the Producer set Producer ...........sorry for the hijack britt

PRODUCER%20STS.jpg

had set of tour grind Apex forged irons....hogans…."sweet spot" the size a pea...….but not for long.....could not hit them. 

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That’s debatable. Wallace was a democrat in the mold of his mentor, Jim Folsom, a progressive and a liberal, even sharing Folsom's moderation on the segregation issue. When he first ran, back in ‘58, it was on a moderate platform. He got thrashed by pro-KKK segregationist firebreather John Patterson in the Dem primary.

He flipped after that. He wasn’t subtle about why to his campaign officials. 

He was also an opportunist, and despite his reputation, a skilled politician. He sacrificed every bit of moral integrity he had in the quest to get into office and remain there. I don’t think he was even that serious about the segregation issue but for its value as a wedge.

I contend he would run as whatever has a better chance of getting him into office. 

He really is an interesting cautionary tale on the depths to which some will sink for political power.

That and the video of him on the school house steps at UAT.    And the modern day angst shown in that video above is a display of ignorance by MSNBC...or perhaps they were counting on the general ignorance of their audience about historical events.   

It was all theater....Wallace standing up for segregation to show his folks that he was serious and AG Katzenbach for the government watching the performance.   Both parties read their parts.....and then it was over. 

51 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Great clubs. They were my granddad's. I played on them until I was in high school, then switched over to my dad's old Titelist 704 CBs. Finally bought my own set of irons about a year and a half ago - Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (used). Thanks to those Hogans, I don't believe that I'll ever play an iron that isn't forged. The feel is too nice. 

One of these days I'm going go and get fitted for an entire new set of clubs - driver through all the way down to the lob wedge. Just figure, until I can break 80 with the clubs I already have, I can't justify brand new clubs. Also need to buy a new putter at some point. I'm gaming an old school Ping Anser at the moment. It's nice, but would prefer something with a little more weight in it. 

Got my son some BH-5s, forged (of course), without the added offset. They were super cheap because the set was only 5-PW. But he's not hitting a 4 or 3 iron real well at this point. Can hit his 6-iron better than (though not quite as far as) his driver.

I started with Hogan Apex Redlines (which I still have), then went to Apex Plus. Ditched the latter because I was hooking everything and went for a mixed set of Mizuno MP-4s (8 and 9-irons) and MP-64s (7-5-irons). Had the lofts weakened by 1 degree and half-stepped some stiff shafts (so the flex is between R and S). I carry 4 wedges, all Cleveland: 48, 54, 56, 62 degrees. Switch between a 3-4 iron hybrid and a 2 hybrid, depending on the course. Oldish Taylor Made driver. Can't seem to get rid of my 2-Ball putter -- it just works best for me.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

had set of tour grind Apex forged irons....hogans…."sweet spot" the size a pea...….but not for long.....could not hit them. 

That is very true I played with Apex for all of about 2 weeks

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

That is very true I played with Apex for all of about 2 weeks

Now I use a Taylor driver, big face of course and when my day is over the face the driver has dimple marks all over it and most of those "hits" get pretty good results...probably 40-50  yard difference between the toe and the sweet spot......but any of them keep me in pretty good position. .

Archived