Will Stidham Return for 2019 Season?

triangletiger

Poll: Will Stidham return for 2019?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's still early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but, so far, Jarrett Stidham hasn't looked like a QB who's ready to take his game to the next level. He certainly has the physical tools, but may need some more development on the mental side. That being said, does anyone think he will return to Auburn for his senior season?

• Yes
    • No

No. If he’s listened to the hype from the fans and media he probably thinks he’s a first rounder. Hope him the best but I see him as a backup in the league for a couple years then cut. Then again he may receive coaching and last in the league longer. His issue is anticipation and I’m not sure how coachable that is?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I doubt Jarrett would leave that soon. However, I wouldn't have a problem if Malzahn did.

Okay, now I'll give you that one.

....that made me LOL.

16 hours ago, metafour said:

He does not have "so far" to go LOL.  He would look 10x better in a competent offense immediately.  He looked better as a true freshman at Baylor.

Most of you continue to fail to understand that NFL teams scout tools, not perceived performance which very often isn't a reflection of the QB at all.

Nix doesn't belong in this offense either.

Even NFL scouts are saying exactly this. He doesn't fit our system. This is why i said in the post LSU game thread that i think JS would be a better pro than college player. We simply do not utilize his strengths to full potential. Granted he still needs to work on his reads when protection breaks down and his happy feet but he was killing it in Baylor's offense. You can clearly see he had a different confidence level at Baylor. Our passing plays take way too long to develop. JS is at his best when he can make quick decisions with the football. 4 and 5 WR sets with crossing and intermediate route options. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Even NFL scouts are saying exactly this. He doesn't fit our system. This is why i said in the post LSU game thread that i think JS would be a better pro than college player. We simply do not utilize his strengths to full potential. Granted he still needs to work on his reads when protection breaks down and his happy feet but he was killing it in Baylor's offense. You can clearly see he had a different confidence level at Baylor. Our passing plays take way too long to develop. JS is at his best when he can make quick decisions with the football. 4 and 5 WR sets with crossing and intermediate route options. 

So Gus/Chip are running a Nick Marshall offense but playing a Mike Leach QB.  Sounds about right.

16 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

See my post above but part of what made Mason so successful was the number of Defensive players who had to keep an eye on Marshall....and then even on a wide out that Marshall could dump it off to.

That offens did not need a dominant OL.  That offense with a speedy and decisive QB to make decisions based off reads can mask a lot of OL issues.  Remember the OL was the same OL that sucked in 2012...

...and yes, Stidham is the best option today.  Because it's the offense they're going to run.  Basic handoffs and basic passes.  UW and LSU have exposed the O for what it is.  Blah...

That offense has been figured out.  That's why you don't see anyone running it anymore.  It's still in the playbook though...right next the triple option.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That offense has been figured out.  That's why you don't see anyone running it anymore.  It's still in the playbook though...right next the triple option.

You're far more expert than me but yes with Stidham, Nix, JJ running it sure, it's figured out.  I contend a dynamic, true DT can still make it work.  Guess we'll never know...

I only push this because it's clearly what Gus is still running.... but without the appropriate QB.  Stidham, Nix, Cord should be in an offense that's much more sophisticated as far as passing game.  I thought Chip could bring this, but evidence suggests it ain't happening.

2 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Played 3 full  games at Baylor in  a no-defense conference....very small sample. 

I actually really like our offense schematically this year, I think it's very well balanced and lends well to the passing game but is not out of balance towards it. Unfortunately our Rb's are undersized and young and the offensive line just isn't scaring anyone combined w/ what might be an overhyped defensive line. 

Bo Nix has serious potential to be an absolute monster. 

51 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

You're far more expert than me but yes with Stidham, Nix, JJ running it sure, it's figured out.  I contend a dynamic, true DT can still make it work.  Guess we'll never know...

When it was new, it stressed defenses like the triple option did and was very effective.  Remember in the 2000s when Rich Rod, Pat White, and WV were running around making everyone look silly?  Since then, defensive coordinators have figured it out.  Rather than sitting back and taking the QB or crashing the heel line for the dive, DEs are now tough to attack the mesh point.  In doing this, they force the play and essentially take both options away.  

Clem_2.gif

TenderMixedGull-max-1mb.gif

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When it was new, it stressed defenses like the triple option did and was very effective.  Remember in the 2000s when Rich Rod, Pat White, and WV were running around making everyone look silly?  Since then, defensive coordinators have figured it out.  Rather than sitting back and taking the QB or crashing the heel line for the dive, DEs are now tough to attack the mesh point.  In doing this, they force the play and essentially take both options away.  

Clem_2.gif

And, asking the backside G to pull and block that attacking DE. Hard to believe that doesn't work out.....

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

And, asking the backside G to pull and block that attacking DE. Hard to believe that doesn't work out.....

No matter though, the majority of the time the end is left unblocked as the read

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Clem_2.gif

Well then Auburn just needs a whole new system period. ?

He won't come back, but he should. And no, I don't think he can necessarily learn much schematics-wise in our limited passing game. But if he wants to be a 1st round QB he needs to demonstrate the intangibles. In many ways, JS is the anti-Sean White. He is smart, calculated, and executes when protected. But he also avoids contact at all costs, he doesn't play with passion, and he isn't a great playmaker.

Bottomline, I don't think NFL team would currently take Stidham in the first 2 rounds because he absolutely cannot handle a blitz, step up, and make a crucial throw. Nor has he shown he can put a team on his back and will them to win. Until he does, he is a 3-7 round guy.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

cannot handle a blitz, step up, and make a crucial throw. Nor has he shown he can put a team on his back and will them to win.

Keep hoping this is not a permanent condition but ball is in his court to show he can make a critical pass when a game is on the line and be willing to take a hit right on the "8" from a DE in order to get a pass off to his second or third option. 

Plus his pass completion stats are bumped up by those quick outs where he is about 80%+ but he and his deep receivers are often 5 or 10 yards apart on the depth of routes/versus the pass.  Hoping this improves with all the burners we have available. 

He is very good. Best pure passer at AU in a long time. But... He has a lot of improvement to do. I am hopeful that we will start passing more because it seems like that is our strength this year. Maybe then he will have plenty of reps so he can improve. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

He won't come back, but he should. And no, I don't think he can necessarily learn much schematics-wise in our limited passing game. But if he wants to be a 1st round QB he needs to demonstrate the intangibles. In many ways, JS is the anti-Sean White. He is smart, calculated, and executes when protected. But he also avoids contact at all costs, he doesn't play with passion, and he isn't a great playmaker.

Bottomline, I don't think NFL team would currently take Stidham in the first 2 rounds because he absolutely cannot handle a blitz, step up, and make a crucial throw. Nor has he shown he can put a team on his back and will them to win. Until he does, he is a 3-7 round guy.

We must be watching a different QB. The Stidham I've seen isn't scared to lower his shoulder and try to get an extra yard or two. Now if he gets the extra yardage or not is a different story... But he certainly tries... 

I mean in the LSU game, we were 3rd and long, and he scampered for almost all those yards, lowered his shoulder, and came up a yard or so short, but he didn't run out of bounds "avoiding contact at all costs." 

Oh, and include me in #TeamMeta.

Stidham is severely hampered by our offense, and for all of you who complain about Stidham are going to complain even more about Nix.

Nix is a shorter Stidham with less arm strength. Neither have any business in our offense. Had Patrick not attended Auburn, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hades Bo comes to Auburn. 

I don't think there is any chance Stidham returns to Auburn, and I also don't think he gets drafted anywhere but the 1st round. He has the things NFL scouts drool over, and how he preforms in our Mikey Mouse high school offense means very little to them. 

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We must be watching a different QB. The Stidham I've seen isn't scared to lower his shoulder and try to get an extra yard or two. Now if he gets the extra yardage or not is a different story... But he certainly tries... 

I mean in the LSU game, we were 3rd and long, and he scampered for almost all those yards, lowered his shoulder, and came up a yard or so short, but he didn't run out of bounds "avoiding contact at all costs." 

Oh, and include me in #TeamMeta.

Stidham is severely hampered by our offense, and for all of you who complain about Stidham are going to complain even more about Nix.

Nix is a shorter Stidham with less arm strength. Neither have any business in our offense. Had Patrick not attended Auburn, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hades Bo comes to Auburn. 

I don't think there is any chance Stidham returns to Auburn, and I also don't think he gets drafted anywhere but the 1st round. He has the things NFL scouts drool over, and how he preforms in our Mikey Mouse high school offense means very little to them. 

As an example, Saturday, near the goal line, Jarrett had an easy score on the read option. But he was tentative and tackled short (the play which was initially ruled a TD but overturned). But if he isn't a running QB I can live with that. The problem is he avoids contact in the pocket.

He has never stepped up, stood tall, and taken a big hit in the pocket. Check out the game clinching INT he threw last year against UCF. He saw the blitz and hurled up an inexcusable prayer, which ended the game. 

The main issue is his eyes go down to the defenders when he feels pressure, instead of keeping them up surveying the field for an open man. You have to be able to scramble while still maintaining primary focus on your receivers. 

On 9/20/2018 at 12:30 PM, Zeek said:

Ageed

Don'forget Cam Newton!  I think Gatewood is the closest thing we have to a Cam type of QB. I really wish he could get in a game in mop up duty just to see how he handles things. He could be a Nick Fitzgerald type of QB with actually a bit more speed than Nick. I just wonder if he is well yet with the thumb injury.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

He has never stepped up, stood tall, and taken a big hit in the pocket. Check out the game clinching INT he threw last year against UCF. He saw the blitz and hurled up an inexcusable prayer, which ended the game. 

I know on at least one play last week he stood in the pocket and got the pass off right before getting absolutely destroyed. I noticed because I thought he was going to get sacked and he got the ball away right before the defender drilled him square in the chest. He took a pretty big hit running the ball against Washington in the first game trying to make a play. He has shown more than enough he will take a hit. 

On the last play of the game against UCF we had 33 seconds left and no timeouts. The defender came untouched and was on Stidham within 1.5 seconds of the ball being snapped. There wasn't a receiver on the field looking at him because they were barely into their routes by the time he had to throw it away. If he gets sacked there then we maybe have a chance for one more play. He was trying to get the ball out of the back of the endzone and couldn't get enough into the throw because the defender was on him. That was a failure on the tackle.

14 hours ago, EagleReedle said:

I actually really like our offense schematically this year, I think it's very well balanced and lends well to the passing game but is not out of balance towards it. Unfortunately our Rb's are undersized and young and the offensive line just isn't scaring anyone combined w/ what might be an overhyped defensive line. 

Bo Nix has serious potential to be an absolute monster. 

Great post.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Don'forget Cam Newton!  I think Gatewood is the closest thing we have to a Cam type of QB. I really wish he could get in a game in mop up duty just to see how he handles things. He could be a Nick Fitzgerald type of QB with actually a bit more speed than Nick. I just wonder if he is well yet with the thumb injury.

He’s still out for another few weeks.

29 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I know on at least one play last week he stood in the pocket and got the pass off right before getting absolutely destroyed. I noticed because I thought he was going to get sacked and he got the ball away right before the defender drilled him square in the chest. He took a pretty big hit running the ball against Washington in the first game trying to make a play. He has shown more than enough he will take a hit. 

On the last play of the game against UCF we had 33 seconds left and no timeouts. The defender came untouched and was on Stidham within 1.5 seconds of the ball being snapped. There wasn't a receiver on the field looking at him because they were barely into their routes by the time he had to throw it away. If he gets sacked there then we maybe have a chance for one more play. He was trying to get the ball out of the back of the endzone and couldn't get enough into the throw because the defender was on him. That was a failure on the tackle.

I just flat disagree. Here is the last play. Jarrett sees the rush, then instead of stepping up, he throws off his back foot in time to dodge the defender. He made more of an effort to dodge than get the ball out of bounds! I've actually never seen a QB fire off a ball in desperation, but yet be so conscious of the blitz that they actually avoid being hit.Screenshot_20180921-191115_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20180921-191227_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20180921-191238_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20180921-191246_YouTube.jpg

Should have been a penalty for illegal use of a prosthesis.  But yeah, a one arm guy (and not the $6 million dollar man) destroyed our offense.  I hope that dude is successful in the NFL.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

hahaha i mean the kid is 17 years old vs a much older Stidham. No business in our offense? we have a well balanced attack and fortunately as a result can still recruit dynamic dual threat qb's that can still pass the ball and still recruit big time rb's.  

Archived