The starting lineup

gr82b4au

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nah that's not the best line up. And my line up isn't lumbering at all its much more athletic than yours. I get it you just in love with Brown and you can't let it go, all the reasons you say Dunbar should come off the bench is why Brown should. Now I won't see it because pearl is going to show his loyalty and Brown mentally would probably throw in the town if he was moved to 6th man but nobody's line up is beating mine. 

Bryce is not a versatile player. He can guard the 1 and the 2 and only smaller 3 guys. He can't play any spot on offense but the 2. He is a shooter. Dunbar can guard the 4, 3 and 2 and play the 2, 3 and 4 on offense. He can shoot well enough, he can slash and he can rebound on both ends. I respect your views and opinions on a lot of things, even if we disagree on things. But on this, it isn't close, Brown is no where near Dunbar in terms of versatility, and would not be a good 6th man. Dunbar is our Andre Iguodala. 

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think that's the sign of a great player, he does it so effortlessly and natural that you can't really tell. He's not pressing, he let the game come to him....which is also frustrating because I'm sure he could do more if he was more aggressive

Okeke is everything @cole256 said. He can/should be a problem for most teams. Post up small guys, stretch out big guys. We need to play through him more on offense if we want to challenge for this league and make a deep run into the tourney. 

The results of the game last night speak for themselves. Rotations looked better, fit and energy was good, shot selection much better.

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Bryce is not a versatile player. He can guard the 1 and the 2 and only smaller 3 guys. He can't play any spot on offense but the 2. He is a shooter. Dunbar can guard the 4, 3 and 2 and play the 2, 3 and 4 on offense. He can shoot well enough, he can slash and he can rebound on both ends. I respect your views and opinions on a lot of things, even if we disagree on things. But on this, it isn't close, Brown is no where near Dunbar in terms of versatility, and would not be a good 6th man. Dunbar is our Andre Iguodala. 

Okeke is everything @cole256 said. He can/should be a problem for most teams. Post up small guys, stretch out big guys. We need to play through him more on offense if we want to challenge for this league and make a deep run into the tourney. 

The results of the game last night speak for themselves. Rotations looked better, fit and energy was good, shot selection much better.

No it's closer than you think but I see where we have the disconnect now. I don't think Dunbar can guard the 4 position. Maybe a small line up team I guess and that's maybe but not a more general team. 

But yes I agree Brown isn't near the versatile player that Dunbar is, I never disagreed with that. But Brown is going to shoot and try to score, he comes off the bench his aggression could be better put to use with a second team squad

Love this discussion and the knowledge @JwgreDeux and @cole256 bring to the table. Coming from a much less erudite position....I’d like to see Dunbar start and Brown come off the bench to score, kind of like our Downtown Freddie Brown for those that can remember that far back (or more recently maybe Vinnie Johnson for the Piston “BadBoys”). Having said that, I get the feeling that BB would totally go into the tank mentally if he was taken out of the starting lineup given how emotionally he seems to respond to hot and cold shooting streaks

On 1/17/2019 at 7:40 PM, fredst said:

Having said that, I get the feeling that BB would totally go into the tank mentally if he was taken out of the starting lineup given how emotionally he seems to respond to hot and cold shooting streaks

That is a good point and unfortunately a genuine concern. 

From Jon Rothstein’s twitter:

“Auburn is 5-0 this season when Chuma Okeke makes two or more three-point shots. An X-Factor today against Kentucky? 0-5 from deep in his last two games.”

It really does feel like Okeke will be tbe X factor this season. 

27 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:
From Jon Rothstein’s twitter:

“Auburn is 5-0 this season when Chuma Okeke makes two or more three-point shots. An X-Factor today against Kentucky? 0-5 from deep in his last two games.”

It really does feel like Okeke will be tbe X factor this season. 

Last year we don't beat Tennessee if he didn't decide to take over in the second half

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Last year we don't beat Tennessee if he didn't decide to take over in the second half

I agree. The problem is he has not decided to take over this year.  Last year he did it against a tough D team in Tenn. so we know he can do it but for some reason he doesn't.

Just now, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree. The problem is he has not decided to take over this year.  Last year he did it against a tough D team in Tenn. so we know he can do it but for some reason he doesn't.

We have ball dominant guards that's upper classmen. Coming back and having his own team would help him, but if you can get drafted in the first round you leave. 

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We have ball dominant guards that's upper classmen. Coming back and having his own team would help him, but if you can get drafted in the first round you leave. 

So do we do anything different against UK and Hagens?  ...or their inside guys?   

Thinking back to a comment by someone yesterday I believe it was.......was tickled to see that AU basketball tickets were selling above face value for a game....even if it's the UK game...….the place should be packed.   Bet UK will find some way to put a bunch of folks in the Arena too....just about every road game for them turns out to look like a UK home game.....their fans travel and will pay the price to get in. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

So do we do anything different against UK and Hagens?  ...or their inside guys?   

Thinking back to a comment by someone yesterday I believe it was.......was tickled to see that AU basketball tickets were selling above face value for a game....even if it's the UK game...….the place should be packed.   Bet UK will find some way to put a bunch of folks in the Arena too....just about every road game for them turns out to look like a UK home game.....their fans travel and will pay the price to get in. 

I don't know how this game is going to play out. I have a few ideas but hagans may be the defender that many say Brown is so either Brown or Harper will have a good match up to see where they're at, and Johnson for them plays great defense so somebody else may have a good match up as well. I think this is a great see where we are at game

38 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know how this game is going to play out. I have a few ideas but hagans may be the defender that many say Brown is so either Brown or Harper will have a good match up to see where they're at, and Johnson for them plays great defense so somebody else may have a good match up as well. I think this is a great see where we are at game

For a bunch of freshmen the seem to play pretty good defense...held Vandy under 50.....Vandy not great but these days keeping  a team under 50 is not easy...though the combination and poor shooting and the pace of the game had a lot to do with it perhaps.   If Brown and Hagans neutralize each other, it will be up to....WHO? to carry our offense?  .  . 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

For a bunch of freshmen the seem to play pretty good defense...held Vandy under 50.....Vandy not great but these days keeping  a team under 50 is not easy...though the combination and poor shooting and the pace of the game had a lot to do with it perhaps.   If Brown and Hagans neutralize each other, it will be up to....WHO? to carry our offense?  .  . 

Harper. I'm actually hoping hagans play Brown and not Harper

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Who do you think Hagans will be assigned to? My thought is Harper since Hagans is considered Kentucky's best ball stopper and Harper is much more proficient getting the ball inside the arc.  Based on Calipari comments this week, he is obviously concerned about guarding our 3 point shots as the perimeter defense appears to be a weak point on UK.

Sounds like this will shape up as another fire a million shots from 3. Kentucky is giving up 38% in conference play.   Just hope we set up good shots and make them with Harper driving and kick out, or a little inside out game to Dunbar, Mac etc. Opportunities will probably be there. 

So, some of you want to bench Brown. Bench our top scorer and a guy who really hustles on defense. Up-thread a bit, somebody started a post with "Some of this is madness". I agree.  I've played basketball,, coached it at the high school level and below and followed it for decades. You don't take a senior who is a solid defender (Brown is a solid defender) and your top scorer and put him on the bench unless he's been causing problems and Brown doesn't cause problems.

Taking Brown out of the starting lineup changes the entire chemistry of what's going on out there and it does that at mid-season. Some of you are either trolling or thinking too much. I agree with the guy that said it's madness.

Maybe take a step back, take a deep breath and re-think?

Yes. The idea of taking Brown out of the starting lineup and reducing his minutes is just pure trolltastic dumbassery. And the bad part is that, since it will never happen, the guys who argue for it will continue to do so because it's all hypothetical and it can never be proven wrong. The trick is just to not engage with the trolls

I think it was totally fair to question whether Brown should be starting after the UAB and NC State games. Dude was a straight up liability. He has come back since then and shown why he should stay in the starting lineup. But to call it "madness" is a bit of an overstatement

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I think it was totally fair to question whether Brown should be starting after the UAB and NC State games. Dude was a straight up liability. He has come back since then and shown why he should stay in the starting lineup. But to call it "madness" is a bit of an overstatement

We'll have to disagree on this. If not madness, then trolling to see how many, if any, would take the bait.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We'll have to disagree on this. If not madness, then trolling to see how many, if any, would take the bait.

Yeah we will. He literally could not touch the ball without it being a turnover and that lasted for at least a couple games. 

But kudos to Brown for showing why fickle fans with short memories don't run teams and coaches do. Brown just about single handily shot us back into the Kentucky game and put us in position to win that game. If this team is to do the things we want he is going to be a key piece

4 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Yes. The idea of taking Brown out of the starting lineup and reducing his minutes is just pure trolltastic dumbassery. And the bad part is that, since it will never happen, the guys who argue for it will continue to do so because it's all hypothetical and it can never be proven wrong. The trick is just to not engage with the trolls

Yet the mods let you come back after suspending you for trolling.....

45 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Yeah we will. He literally could not touch the ball without it being a turnover and that lasted for at least a couple games. 

But kudos to Brown for showing why fickle fans with short memories don't run teams and coaches do. Brown just about single handily shot us back into the Kentucky game and put us in position to win that game. If this team is to do the things we want he is going to be a key piece

He could've done this off the bench....maybe even reducing turnovers. He's the perfect person 4 coming off the bench, instant offense. He's never been a consistent type of guy but when he's on like you said he's a key piece. Plenty of people in basketball college and pros have fulfilled this role. The year Villanova won the hero of the championship game was the guard off the bench

On 1/17/2019 at 7:40 PM, fredst said:

Love this discussion and the knowledge @JwgreDeux and @cole256 bring to the table. Coming from a much less erudite position....I’d like to see Dunbar start and Brown come off the bench to score, kind of like our Downtown Freddie Brown for those that can remember that far back (or more recently maybe Vinnie Johnson for the Piston “BadBoys”). Having said that, I get the feeling that BB would totally go into the tank mentally if he was taken out of the starting lineup given how emotionally he seems to respond to hot and cold shooting streaks

Like you I think both JwgreDeaux and cole256  have legitimate points. I would like to test the waters with Brown as a second team scoring threat. If he can't handle it and disrupts team chemistry we can always go back to Brown starting ( I don't think a one game experiment would put Brown in the Tank for the season).  For a while I also thought about Brown at the 2 and Dunbar at the 3 with Samir going to second team. Then I realized that leaves almost no offense on the second team.  To take advantage of our depth we need scoring and defense on both second team and first team.

23 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Like you I think both JwgreDeaux and cole256  have legitimate points. I would like to test the waters with Brown as a second team scoring threat. If he can't handle it and disrupts team chemistry we can always go back to Brown starting ( I don't think a one game experiment would put Brown in the Tank for the season).  For a while I also thought about Brown at the 2 and Dunbar at the 3 with Samir going to second team. Then I realized that leaves almost no offense on the second team.  To take advantage of our depth we need scoring and defense on both second team and first team.

The bold would be my concern as well. 

But it's far from madness to bring him off the bench. In a vacuum he could excel in a JR Smith/6th man type of role. I don't know if it's best for this team considering our scoring balance may get wonky. But I love the idea of having a true scoring threat off the bench. 

Dell Curry

Vinnie Johnson

Robert Horry

Jason Terry

Toni Kukoc

Michael Cooper

Steve Kerr

Manu Ginobli

BB's game is much more in the mold of these players than that of a starter.

Archived