More playmakers than 2010?

StatTiger

We don’t have the ultimate playmaker in Cam Newton but the skill guys on this team are pretty ridiculous. Could be the best set of skill guys we’ve had since 2013, where like all the RBs and WRs eventually played in the league along with Uzomah too

• Like 3

2010 was probably an 8-5 team without  Cam.  This team could be 8-5 with the daunting schedule.  They also could be really good if the young QBs limit mistakes and Auburn can establish a running game.

Edited by Win4AU
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

We don’t have the ultimate playmaker in Cam Newton but the skill guys on this team are pretty ridiculous. Could be the best set of skill guys we’ve had since 2013, where like all the RBs and WRs eventually played in the league along with Uzomah too

The 2013 Auburn offense generated 136 impact plays during their run to a conference title and a shot at the National Championship. It was a heavy ground-oriented attacked, led by quarterback Nick Marshall and running back Tre Mason. Auburn had the No. 1 rushing attack that season, which opened up the deep passing game as the competition sold out to defend Auburn’s running game. Here is the breakdown of impact plays from the 2013 season.

• Nick Marshall (QB) 25 – Bo Nix and or Joey Gatewood.
  • Tre Mason (RB) 23 – JaTarvious Whitlow had 16 impact plays on 165 offensive touches (10.3 ratio) and Tre Mason had 23 from 329 (14.3).
  • Sammie Coates (WR) 20 – Seth Williams had 18 on 26 receptions (1.4 ratio) and Sammie Coates had 20 from 42 receptions (2.1).
  • Corey Grant (RB) 15 – Shaun Shivers
  • Cameron Artis-Payne (RB) 12 – Kam Martin and D.J. Williams.
  • Ricardo Louis (WR) 10 – Anthony Schwartz had 14 last season.
  • C.J. Uzomah (TE) 6 – John Shenker and Jay Jay Wilson.
  • Jay Prosch (FB), Quan Bray (WR), Trovon Reed (WR) and Tony Stevens (WR) combined for 10 impact plays during 2013. Will Hastings and Eli Stove combined for 29 during the 2017 season alone. It will be huge for both players to be healthy in 2019.

The 2019 Auburn receiving corps is deeper than the 2013 crew. Not mentioned in the 2013-2019 comparison is Matthew Hill, Shedrick Jackson, Marquis McClain and Sal Cannella. For now, the edge goes to the 2013 offense when it comes to running backs. Tre Mason, Corey Grant and Cameron Artis-Payne accounted for 3073 yards rushing on 6.48 yards per attempt and 35 rushing TD’s during the 2013 season. I don’t see Whitlow, Williams, Shivers and Martin combining for 474 rush attempts in 2019. Last season, Whitlow, Martin and Shivers combined for 323 carries.

What Auburn lacks in the running game compared to the 2013 Auburn offense, will likely be made up in the passing game. Both Gatewood and Nix have shown to be just as accurate throwing the football than Nick Marshall in 2013 if not more. I see the 2019 Auburn pass offense being far more explosive than the 2013 Auburn passing game. The 2013 pass-offense totaled 54 impact plays compared to 76 during 2017 and 63 last season. The 2019 Auburn offense certainly has a higher potential of being a more balanced offense than 2013.

War Eagle!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

2010 was probably an 8-5 team without  Cam.  This team could be 8-5 with the daunting schedule.  They also could be really good if the young QBs limit mistakes and Auburn can establish a running game.

Bo Nix and Joey Gatewood are far superior running the football than Jarrett Stidham, which will open up the running game. We saw lots of 4-WR sets with Nix and Gatewood, forcing the defense to play with only 6-7 in the box. There will be times the opposing defense will be out-manned up front because the QB is a true threat to run the football. The OL from all accounts is better than last year and AU has more options at RB coming into 2019. I have no doubt the running game will be much better than 2018. Being a more physical offense was Malzahn's driving theme this spring because he knows how important his running game must be to have success throwing the football.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Bo Nix and Joey Gatewood are far superior running the football than Jarrett Stidham, which will open up the running game. We saw lots of 4-WR sets with Nix and Gatewood, forcing the defense to play with only 6-7 in the box. There will be times the opposing defense will be out-manned up front because the QB is a true threat to run the football. The OL from all accounts is better than last year and AU has more options at RB coming into 2019. I have no doubt the running game will be much better than 2018. Being a more physical offense was Malzahn's driving theme this spring because he knows how important his running game must be to have success throwing the football.

We didn’t even see any Jet sweeps yesterday which will further spread out the defenses leaving the middle open for inside zone read and the beloved first down run up the gut.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Well, if it hadn't been for Cam, we probably would have pushed harder to enroll Tyrik Rollison, and we still would have had that super experienced offensive line. I think the 2010 team still would have been a 9-10 win team without the Heisman winner.

Thanks for the analysis stat......nice to note that all of the impact players from the 2013 team ended up playing professionally. 

6 hours ago, StatTiger said:

Boy you really know how to get us hype for the season. I think my pants just moved.

• Haha 5

Like your information, BUT......I'd like to see our RB line up in a pistol and run downhill at times....feel it would help in our run blocking...hit the line quicker!!!! Just my feelings to get a tougher-explosion at the LOS...

• RunInRed featured and pinned this topic

War Eagle Stat! 

I had my mind made up that this was a 6-6 team with the inexperienced QB and this horrible schedule!   Now you went and got my hopes up!   As you have been comparing offenses, one thing no one has mentioned yet is that the 2019 defense will be decidedly better than the 2010 or 2013 defenses (although 2010 D was opportunistic)

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

War Eagle Stat! 

I had my mind made up that this was a 6-6 team with the inexperienced QB and this horrible schedule!   Now you went and got my hopes up!   As you have been comparing offenses, one thing no one has mentioned yet is that the 2019 defense will be decidedly better than the 2010 or 2013 defenses (although 2010 D was opportunistic)

The 2010 defense was No. 9 against the run, an element Kevin Steele's defense has been inconsistent. He has certainly improved the defense since his arrival but the Tigers must become more consistent against the run to reach the "dominant" level.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

The 2010 defense was No. 9 against the run, an element Kevin Steele's defense has been inconsistent. He has certainly improved the defense since his arrival but the Tigers must become more consistent against the run to reach the "dominant" level.

Agree...games like MSU and UT last year were unexplainable....inferior teams just went through us with almost no resistance and cost us a good season.   Hoping we don't have those kinds of disappearing acts by the D this season.  Gus got the blame for the losses but IMO KS should have been on the hot seat for those performances,  among others. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree...games like MSU and UT last year were unexplainable....inferior teams just went through us with almost no resistance and cost us a good season.   Hoping we don't have those kinds of disappearing acts by the D this season.  Gus got the blame for the losses but IMO KS should have been on the hot seat for those performances,  among others. 

Oh, stop it. Gus's offense scored 9 points against Mississippi State. NINE. One of MSU's only 2 TDs wasn't even actually a touchdown because Kevin Steele's defense stopped them on the goal line after one of Gus's guys muffed the punt... which came immediately after that same defense had forced a 3-and-out. For all of your complaining about anti-Gus sentiment, you do little to hide your own agenda. Gus's offense lost that game and it's as plain as day to anyone who isn't predisposed to defend Gus at all costs.

The Tennessee game is a different story. The defense didn't play well that day. But it sure would be nice to know how they would have played if they hadn't already been trying to carry one of the league's worst offenses for 2 months at that point.  

KS should have been on the hot seat??? I trust that's pure hyperbole from you. 

Those two games cost us a good season? 

Everybody's entitled to their opinion but you must realize that you are perpetuating the conversations that you claim to find so objectionable with comments like these. Nobody had "bashed"- ie offered objective opinions about- Gus in this thread. 

9 freaking points. That was Steele's fault? My goodness. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, stop it. Gus's offense scored 9 points against Mississippi State. NINE. 

Mississippi State had the top ranked scoring defense didn’t they? Turning the ball over and not being able to make stops in the second half ultimately gave us a loss. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One of MSU's only 2 TDs wasn't even actually a touchdown because Kevin Steele's defense stopped them on the goal line after one of Gus's guys muffed the punt...

Your inclination to separate Kevin Steele’s guys and Malzahn’s guys shows how ate up you are. Just throwing out the obvious: Steele is Malzahn’s “guy” too. Despite your intentions you invite more scrutiny upon the defense when you pick sides and actively blame one side and deflect the blame from the other. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stat - Should Gatewood be credited with an impact play from the Purdue game where he almost scored on that long run?

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Stat - Should Gatewood be credited with an impact play from the Purdue game where he almost scored on that long run?

yes

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Mississippi State had the top ranked scoring defense didn’t they? Turning the ball over and not being able to make stops in the second half ultimately gave us a loss. 

Your inclination to separate Kevin Steele’s guys and Malzahn’s guys shows how ate up you are. Just throwing out the obvious: Steele is Malzahn’s “guy” too. Despite your intentions you invite more scrutiny upon the defense when you pick sides and actively blame one side and deflect the blame from the other. 

Anytime a defense allows over 300 yards rushing, it should never be considered a good day on that side of the football. The MSU was no doubt, a team loss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

2010 and 21013 proved to have pretty good OL..   we desperately need the same this coming Fall. 

Yup. Tons and tons of returning experience on those lines. And we might have more returning with this group than we've had since 2013. Not sure. But 5 returning starters unless we upgrade somewhere... even for a group that underperformed last year, that's good news. As always, OL probably the key to our season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Anytime a defense allows over 300 yards rushing, it should never be considered a good day on that side of the football. The MSU was no doubt, a team loss.

Thank you Stat.

8 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Was it a "good" day for the defense? No, and I don't think anybody has said that. But that's a long way from pinning the loss on them.

3 plays, 6 yards, 1:07

3 plays, -3 yards, 0:57

4 plays, 9 yards, 1:13

Those were our first 3 offensive possessions. You can't do that to your defense. And then your best WR can't muff a punt right after a 3-and-out when your offense can't do anything. 

We only surrendered 6 points in the first half other than the touchdown after the muffed punt on which the guy didn't actually cross the goal line. 

Feel free to say that Steele and his group didn't have their best day but they would have won that game if the offense had bothered to participate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1