Go Gators!

Erik81

Novagator1

Gator Sublime

3/31/05 12:01pm

Auburn declares themselves 2004 National Champs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.auburnfans.com/ncaa05.html

This is just sad.

GatorMarc

DungeonMaster &

Strongbad Club President

3/31/05 1:07pm

Re: Auburn declares themselves 2004 National Champs - www.sc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good for them.

My girlfriend beat me at College Pick'em.

Novagator1

Gator Sublime

3/31/05 1:07pm

www.fanblogs.com/sec/004777.php

Auburn to hand out championship rings

Coach Tommy Tuberville confirmed that the Auburn Tigers players would get national championship rings for their 13-0 season, despite finishing the year #2 in the final 2004 AP poll and the final 2004 coaches polls.

Meanwhile, Tiger fans continue to point to the 13-0 record, explaining

that Auburns opponents had a better winning percentage (83-69 or 54.6%) than even Southern Cal's undefeated schedule (82-70 or 53.9%)

Auburn has also designed and trademarked a championship logo and begun selling logo items on the university website.

According to the university's press release, "The logo depicts a stirring, familiar sight to AU fans all over the globe - a football player waving a giant AU flag after winning a game."

Troj55

Baby Gator

3/31/05 12:21pm

Good. They are every bit the national champion that Southern Cal is. Period. And I am a USC alum.

Edited by: Troj55 at: 3/31/05 1:22:03 pm

GatorGrad2004

Senior Gator

3/31/05 1:25pm

Well fine.....

I declare myself king of Ohio...and now I am going to eat my royal lunch

GatorFanDan

Senior Gator

3/31/05 1:27pm

Good for Auburn. How can you go undefeated in the SEC, win your bowl game and not be National Champs?

Gator Fan Dan

Saturdayinth...

Sophomore Gator

3/31/05 1:37pm

They should. They earned a place as a split National Champion with USC.

GatorMarc

DungeonMaster &

Strongbad Club President

3/31/05 1:39pm

Until the NCAA mans up and creates a real system for determining the National Championship, this will happen.

Southern Cal is the BCS Champion and has a claim to be National Champion.

Auburn can claim National Champion status as well.

There's nothing new in this. Look back, we have dozens of years where multiple schools claim titles.

That's why they are still Mythical National Championships

My girlfriend beat me at College Pick'em.

GreenNNScaly

Freshman Gator

3/31/05 1:44pm

Nothing against Awburn. They did absolutely everything they could do on the field and deserve all the accolades. Unfortunately the National Communists Against Athletes seem to have other ideas about who was number 1 in '04...

"National Champions"

DoctorGator

Growlin' Gator

3/31/05 2:14pm

If I was AU, I might do the same thing. Good for them. If Bama can claim about 5 unsubstantiated MNC, why can't AU? That said, IMHO, they would have gotten waxed by USC. However, AU - OU would have been a super game!!

Swampguy

Growlin' Gator

3/31/05 2:20pm

No problem with Auburn claiming a co-NC with USC. War Damn Eagle they did it all in 2004. Roy Kramer has to be gritting his teeth that his wonderful BCS dreamchild just screwed one of his own.

swamptor

Lord BullGator

3/31/05 5:06pm

USC would have beaten Auburn in a tough game. But, AU still has the right to declare themselves champions, because the process to choose the winner is totally flawed.

Jaggator

Gator Magnate

3/31/05 5:16pm

Our gator team would do the same in that situation. Good for Auburn.

roguetrader

Growlin' Gator

3/31/05 6:59pm

We would have done the same thing if in 1996 the polls had voted Ohio State Number one instead of us...In fact I was worried this might happen and thought about renting billboard space in Ohio to put Congratulations to UF 1996 National Champions in the event the voters screwed us.

GatorCop

Heavy-Handed Oppressor

3/31/05 7:27pm

Had the pollsters not loved a weak Oklahoma so much and ranked a stronger Auburn team at 16 early in the season, they would have played USC for the MNC. I like Stoops, he helped bring us our first MNC, but he is the media darling. The last 2 bowl games they have been embarassed by the opponents. Good for Auburn.

WAR DAMN EAGLE for a day.

GO GATORS

Let's go back to these helmets

Imkicking187

Gator Magnate

3/31/05 7:29pm

Congrats to Auburn.... I consider them NC in my book..

IB99cent

Sophomore Gator

3/31/05 7:34pm

Re: Auburn declares themselves 2004 National Champs

We got ours in 1984. So I guess we have 2 NC's!

Scroll down to 1984 on the webpage.

www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

WarDamnGator

Gator Magnate

3/31/05 8:58pm

IB99cent said:

Quote:

We got ours in 1984. So I guess we have 2 NC's!

Scroll down to 1984 on the webpage.

www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

The funniest part of this is that one dude declared FSU the national champs in 1996.

"Our rub it in thread lasted much longer than yours, pal."

tideh8rGator

Gator Magnate

3/31/05 10:45pm

Whoever Alderson is, he didn't last long (5 years). Not surprising considering the monumental miscalculation that idiot made counting his beads or seashells or whatever he used to figure out his bogus 1996 champion.

Whatever kind of fuzzy math this guy used to think that 20 is greater than 52

he better come up with a new system there!

Edited by: tideh8rGator at: 3/31/05 11:48:26 pm

BringBackSpu...

Growlin' Gator

4/1/05 12:04am

where are the utah rings?

---------------------------

Gatorwalkon85

Senior Gator

4/1/05 3:39am

I agree with the ones that say i don't blame them. I recall as a (RS)Freshman in 85' the year after the magical 84' season the SEC Champions trophy sat in the football office because it was won on the field. I hate to get started about some of the crap that went on after the probation was handed down and how stuff was as a player during that time. But do you recall the N.Y. Times naming us National Champs but it was only paper according to the ncaa. Not in the minds of us players or the Gator fans. So AU i give you props because you should have been playing in that game anyway. If i have not said it i will now...Congratulations AU for bringing the trophy back to the REAL sports conference. THE SEC!

bamabenz

Baby Gator

4/1/05 6:05am

TheUrbanator

Growlin' Gator

4/1/05 7:36am

Okay by me.

Formally known as Zookinator

AUTigerGrad

Junior Gator

4/1/05 9:48am

bamabenz said:

Quote:

<SPAN class="title">

Re: Auburn declares themselves 2004 National Champs - www.sc</SPAN>

You know what's even funnier....Auburn has won more games this past season than Bama has in the last two. Roe Tahd Roe.

drunkendawg

Freshman Gator

4/1/05 1:56pm

CFb crowns the national champ, not the teams who play. utah didnt do this and Penn state didnt in 94. Everyone knows USC won the real national title, AU can claim the golf digest title all they want, but its kinda pathetic and the AU players know it. golf digest national champs? okay

DoctorGator

Growlin' Gator

4/1/05 2:03pm

Sober up dawg. If your little program ever had a season like AU had, you'd be howling much lowder than they did. Congrats to them and under the porch with you.

gouxgate

Baby Gator

4/1/05 1:05pm

Quote:

How can you go undefeated in the SEC, win your bowl game and not be National Champs

The Citadel is why.

"He's the kind of coach who changes a person's life. He keeps emphasizing how life is more about decisions you make off the field than on it. I'm just glad I made the decision to go to USC. It's been an unbelievable experience for me."

Edited by: RayGator at: 4/3/05 11:00:40 pm

AUTigerGrad

Junior Gator

4/1/05 2:45pm

You Trojan fans are the biggest hypocrites on the planet. All we heard last season before the Sugar Bowl was how USC was robbed, USC should be playing LSU, yadda yadda yadda.

NOW...same situation (oh..except this time Auburn didn't LOSE a game) and all of the sudden these higher than thou Trojan fans become hypocrites and say they are the "undisputed" champs.

Let me fill you in...when there is an UNDEFEATED, UNTIED SEC CHAMPION with the SEC player of the year at QB, the Thorpe award winner at DB, An All American Safety, and the top 2 rated tailbacks going into the NFL draft (including the top overall PROSPECT in Ronnie Brown)....sitting out there with a perfect record...it is FAAAAAAAAR from "undisputed".

And for every Citadel I can point to a Washington State, Arizona, etc. on your sad schedule. Don't kid yourself...it wouldn't have made much of a difference if you had stuck BYU or WASU in there instead of the Citadel. AU would have killed them just like they killed the Citadel...and GEORGIA, and TENNESSEE, etc. When USC fans have to point to AU playing one patsie as their whole argument as to why AU didn't "deserve" to share the NC...they HAVE no argument. Period.

Hypocrites.

The Graygator

Lord Gator

4/1/05 3:14pm

Troj55 said:

Quote:

Good. They are every bit the national champion that Southern Cal is. Period. And I am a USC alum.

Edited by: Troj55 at: 3/31/05 1:22:03 pm

I really don't know what to think about this from my own point of view. It's a toss-up as to what they are doing up at AU.

I mean, is this going to set a precedent that every team which comes in second after the bowl season and wasn't allowed to play in the NC game because of the screwed up BCS system is going to start claiming to be national champions too?

I understand AU's argument, they were a GREAT team last year and I rooted for them a lot too, but Southern Cal was the team at the top of the polls last season and they're the ONLY legitimate and recognized national champion IMO.

OTOH, I believe the BCS and the pollsters really screwed AU too.

Gray.

"Bobby Bowden is supportive of moving the 2005 Miami game from Doak Campbell to Jacksonville's Alltel Stadium. Of course, he's just concerned about going 0 - 2 at Bobby Bowden Field".

FSU President T.K. Wetherell

gouxgate

Baby Gator

4/1/05 6:12pm

The same SEC clowns that thought the BCS was the end all beat all last season are now calling it a bad system. Who are the real hypocrites?

As far as pointing out why AU didn't deserve a shot at the NC, I don't care either way. The bottom line is, nobody else will ever care either. I'll let others get into a pissing contest over who deserves what.

I'm more than satisfied with our accolades.

"He's the kind of coach who changes a person's life. He keeps emphasizing how life is more about decisions you make off the field than on it. I'm just glad I made the decision to go to USC. It's been an unbelievable experience for me."

Edited by: gouxgate at: 4/1/05 7:43:30 pm

RayGator

4/1/05 9:34pm

BringBackSpurrier said:

Quote:

where are the utah rings?

Excellent question! UTAH has as much reason to do this as Auburn does!

Indahood

Baby Gator

4/1/05 9:53pm

That's nothing. UT made rings for winning the SEC east last season!!!

AUTigerGrad

Junior Gator

4/2/05 12:49pm

gouxgate said:

Quote:

The same SEC clowns that thought the BCS was the end all beat all last season are now calling it a bad system. Who are the real hypocrites?

As far as pointing out why AU didn't deserve a shot at the NC, I don't care either way. The bottom line is, nobody else will ever care either. I'll let others get into a pissing contest over who deserves what.

I'm more than satisfied with our accolades.

gouxgate  at: 4/1/05 7:43:30 pm

[/i]

If anyone is a "clown" it's you Trojan. Because only a clown would come post on an S-E-C board and proceed to put down S-E-C teams.

I guess we can add that to your ever growing list of favorable attributes.

:sarcasm on: Good luck in that tough PAC 10 again next year. :sarcasm off:

rEFFINc22

GC Pit Bull

4/2/05 2:05pm

The PAC 10 blows.

MacDaddyGator

Senior Gator

4/2/05 2:14pm

I hope Meyer can win his second national championship in a row here at Florida next year.

gouxgate

Freshman Gator

4/2/05 9:41pm

I didn't put down any SEC teams. I merely pointed out the reality that there are numerous hypocrites that thought SC shouldn't have split the 2003 NC but think AU should.

I don't concern myself with the myopic conference debates. All I care is that we win football games. It's more fun to see people like you talk about conference greatness while we win championships.

You keep up the talk and we'll keep up the walk.

*sarcasm on*Congrats to the peoples nc's.*sarcasm off*

gatordon85

Gator Sublime

4/3/05 4:20am

Come on gouxgate you don't see it as being hypocritical when you guys screamed last year about the same thing but this year it is ok? I wish all football fans from across the nation would scream to the real culprit the ncaa and force them to go to a playoff. That is the only fair way to ensure teams get a shot.

I have no clue whether USC or auburn would of won, but I would of loved to see the match up. I think USC got screwed last year and auburn got screwed this year, nothing hypocritical about that.

GatorJon

Junior Gator

4/3/05 9:17am

Good for Auburn! Until we have a true playoff system any team from a major conference that goes undefeated has a right to claim a share of the National Championship.

If they want to stop this kind of thing from happening... get a playoff system!

SwampGenie

Senior Gator

4/3/05 11:00am

Listen, we all live in a bias'ed society. Auburn won the best football conference in the land and went 13-0. But that isn't good enough when it's Southern Cal and Oklahoma. That's the game the network wanted. Hell, Kieth Jackson even surmised the match-up. They deserve a MNC as much as USC. Utah deserves more respect for their accomplishment as well. That was a damn good football team and the NFL scouts said under Meyer it was one of the best programs

they visited all year. The BCS is bad for college football as it currently exist. The only thing to do is to put the top 4 teams in a playoff using existing bowl games. Play the two semi final games a week prior to New years day and let those winners play in the Big salami the following week. This past year we could've had Utah vs USC in the Fiesta and Auburn and Oklahoma in the in the Sugar, with those winners playing in the ORANGE. Unlike now, three major bowl games will be significant again. Even if you don't have four undefeated teams, it could still work. USC vs Utah would've'e been a great game and I think the Trojans would've been another of the non believers who would've had their Nads handed to them by the Ute's. Oklahoma and Auburn, this game would've been the put up or shut up game. Okies defense against Ronnie Brown and the Cadillac. Auburn vs Utah in the Orange.

taxlawyer

Gator Magnate

4/3/05 11:36am

If USC played in the SEC, they would not be winning all these titles.

ForrestGator

Growlin' Gator

4/3/05 3:59pm

Football over there on the west coast is a joke. Straight 100% pure, freshly squeezed, grade A, unfooled around with, garbage.

JerseyGator1

Gator Magnate

4/3/05 4:24pm

It's hard for me to remember a team with two senior stud RB's like Brown and Cadillac, both projected to be top ten picks in the draft this year. Plus the QB Campbell is projected by some to go in the second round.

The Auburn team is comparable to many national champions of the past.

taxlawyer

Gator Magnate

4/3/05 7:49pm

In that case, I also declare UF national champions for 2004! UF would have won all their games except for:

1. Cheating $#%## refs!

2. Bad $%^$ luck!

3. Steve #$%%# Spurrier leaving the cupboard bare

4. Unrealistic $%@#$# fans!

AUTigerGrad

Junior Gator

4/3/05 9:53pm

gouxgate said:

Quote:

I didn't put down any SEC teams. I merely pointed out the reality that there are numerous hypocrites that thought SC shouldn't have split the 2003 NC but think AU should.

I don't concern myself with the myopic conference debates. All I care is that we win football games. It's more fun to see people like you talk about conference greatness while we win championships.

You keep up the talk and we'll keep up the walk.

*sarcasm on*Congrats to the peoples nc's.*sarcasm off*

Hey..what the hell kind of "walk" is it when you go 13 and FREAKING O!!

We did it as well..and we didn't have to do the football equivalent of "beating up 5th graders" (i.e. The Pac 10 conference) to achieve it.

Hell...USC had a whole year of playing "Citadels".

I swear..the hypocrisy and selective memory of the left coasters truly amazes me.

Edited by: RayGator at: 4/3/05 10:59:01 pm

Gator40

Growlin' Gator

4/3/05 11:12pm

I agree, AUTiger...and USC didn't even have to play a conference championship game...because of the sorry conference they are in. -Chris

boscokt

Baby Gator

4/3/05 11:58pm

To the Gator fans, thanks for the support and we appreciate the comments.

To the pathetic USC fans that cross over to fellow SEC boards to bash us......all I can do is shake my head and laugh.

The Ranch Report Testing Forum

JackNicklaus

4/4/05 3:59am

Quote:

To the pathetic USC fans that cross over to fellow SEC boards to bash us......all I can do is shake my head and laugh

You AU fans are the most oversensitive fans around. Who crossed over to this board and bashed you?

I know i'm laughing.

boscokt

Baby Gator

4/5/05 12:02am

Check out that gouxgate douche earlier in the thread.

Heh heh heh, unguarded breakfast, the sweetest taboo.

"UTAH has as much reason to do this as Auburn does!"

That's like a kid in vocational school with straight A's claiming as much credit as a kid with straight A's in AP classes. No offense but those are waaaaayyy different.

Why do people say Utah has as much claim as Auburn does? Is the Mountain West conference now equally as competitive as the SEC, Big 10, ACC, etc.?

I don't friggin' think so! :blink:

Archived