Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Obviously nobody will replace Rod but let’s be open minded and give him a chance 

Trust me I am.  I am happy that Andy is getting the opportunity as he is a great person.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, keesler said:

Who would have excited you? 

I had nobody in mind.  Andy has been great in his roles for Auburn for a long time.  He could end up being great in this role as well.  

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am OK with this...JMO but the broadcast team should not be making the game about them ...or trying to become the focus of attention on exciting plays. 

Give us an honest description, focus on the game and what's happening..... and don't get too homerish on questionable calls or plays.... all I'm looking for. 

Are you takin a jab at Stan?

He sounds like he's having a conniption fit sometimes when there are questionable calls and it bothers him for the entire broadcast.

16 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Andy is also now the legal guardian of Shelby and Joshua Bramblett, Rod and Paula’s children. Pretty neat how Andy is kind of taking on the mantle of many different aspects of Rod’s life. A lot of people struggle with finding their purpose in life. I think Andy has found his purpose and I am so excited for him. 

Very well said!

23 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Andy is also now the legal guardian of Shelby and Joshua Bramblett, Rod and Paula’s children. Pretty neat how Andy is kind of taking on the mantle of many different aspects of Rod’s life. A lot of people struggle with finding their purpose in life. I think Andy has found his purpose and I am so excited for him. 

Oh my goodness. I had no idea. Great points here. The more I learn about Andy, the happier I am for him, and the happier I am that he was selected. 

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Congrats to him.  I may have preferred going outside the family a bit, but hope he does well.  Andy is a genuinely nice guy.

Voice of the Auburn Tigers is one of the only jobs I want to have someone in the family. I think that the person who sits in that booth should love auburn and be familiar with the culture in Auburn.

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am OK with this...JMO but the broadcast team should not be making the game about them ...or trying to become the focus of attention on exciting plays. 

Give us an honest description, focus on the game and what's happening..... and don't get too homerish on questionable calls or plays.... all I'm looking for. 

Then Stan White is out! 😝 He loves AU too much to not get excited and biased! Love it 

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Homerish?........the times I've had to listen to LSU radio when playing Auburn in football, baseball or basketball.......it would be hard to best LSU homerish.......with that said I do agree with above........I expect Stan to be a liitle homerish......in fact might make me mad if he wasn't.

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

Are you takin a jab at Stan?

He sounds like he's having a conniption fit sometimes when there are questionable calls and it bothers him for the entire broadcast.

Stan could never be as homer as Ken Stabler was.........of course Stan isnt drunk in the booth either😂

16 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Stan could never be as homer as Ken Stabler was.........of course Stan isnt drunk in the booth either😂

I only listen to Auburn broadcasters, so I don't know much about others.  Stan has every right to be homerish, he played for AU.  He just sounds a little whiney and harps too long on the questionable calls, he doesn't do it too often but it has happened.

Congrats to Andy though, he will do well.

can someone change the title to radio announcer picked or something so folks will know someone has been picked? i posted the article seperate and then saw this. it might help with confusion? thanx

10 minutes ago, keesler said:

I only listen to Auburn broadcasters, so I don't know much about others.  Stan has every right to be homerish, he played for AU.  He just sounds a little whiney and harps too long on the questionable calls, he doesn't do it too often but it has happened.

Congrats to Andy though, he will do well.

i still laugh when i see whites name. what game was it he was playing in and not doing well and i believe it was james bostic grabbed him by the face mask? i am not sure what was said but ol stan played better. not dissin stan as we have probably all had to get motivated by someone before.

50 minutes ago, toddc said:

Then Stan White is out! 😝 He loves AU too much to not get excited and biased! Love it 

I am good with the bias....just hate the complaining about refs or umps or stuff like that.    Tell us what you think at the time and move along.   I sure want him referring to AU teams as "we" when doing a broadcast though. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Voice of the Auburn Tigers is one of the only jobs I want to have someone in the family. I think that the person who sits in that booth should love auburn and be familiar with the culture in Auburn.

Then you wouldn't have liked Jim Fyffe when he was hired.

• ellitor changed the title to Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Tell us what you think at the time and move along.

I love the bias and complaining. Still have not got over Stabler's "run in the mud 1967". Bammer tackled our would be tackler in the backfield and blatantly so. 

Announcers complained, Coach Jordan complained. I still complain. 

Congrats to Andy. Great person and sure he is honored and humbled. Feel that Rod would be pleased. Who knows, maybe he is. 

I can't speak to any outside announcers except I used to really like Wes Durham of Ga. Tech but I'm not sure he's even there anymore. 

I'm happy with the hire.  I think Andy has a chance to do really well and be beloved.  I remember it took me a season or two to warm up to Rod but I loved him before long.  I suspect Andy will be the same.  

War Eagle Mr. Burcham!

I can remember having this same conversation when Jim Fyffe suddenly died..."No one can replace him...whoa is me".  Andy will do a fine job for the Auburn Family, this I am confident in.  Congratulations Andy!  Break a leg!

When I tune in to the Auburn Network to hear a football broadcast I want to hear an "Auburn homer" announcing the game.  The  more homerish the announcer is the better it is for me for me.  The contrast is like this (Auburn with the ball) : "Carnell takes the handoff at the 3, can't find a hole, tries to bounce it outside, cuts back, gets a block, stutter steps, runs over a man at the one and scores....TOUCHDOWN AUBURN", versus (Auburn announcer calling other team's offense) "Well Stan we need a big stop here, 3rd and 8 at the Auburn 25 yard line with the ball on the right hash.  He takes the shotgun snap, throws a little swing pass to the right, the wideout catches it in stride, avoids a man and scores.  Time for a quick station identification.  This IS the Auburn Network". 

I can still hear Rod doing that.  

I'll be listening to Andy's first broadcast of the Oregon game on the radio in a couple of weeks.  I think he will be great.

War Eagle.  

Archived