2020 Softball Recruiting Thread

Since I found this recent article about one of our 2020 committed (not signed) players I thought I would create this topic and add information about players as we go forward.

https://www.flosoftball.com/articles/6528467-rising-star-why-auburn-commit-madison-penta-sings-for-strikeouts

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madison Penta Sings For Strikeouts

Another article, from people in the middle of it, sounding the need/benefits of slowing down the recruitment process and the positives of the portal giving kids more control.

Bo Manor's Madison Penta named Gatorade Maryland Player of the Year

1A State Softball Semifinals: Bo Manor vs. Brunswick

Bohemia Manor junior Madison Penta has been named the Gatorade Maryland Softball Player of the Year. From the circle, Penta went 21-0 with a 0.11 ERA and 299 strikeouts over 123 innings. At the plate, she hit .586 with nine home runs and 34 RBIs. With Penta pitching, Bo Manor won its third straight state championship on Saturday.

CHESAPEAKE CITY — Bohemia Manor pitcher Madison Penta can add another award to her ever-growing collection of softball accolades.

Penta, a junior, who recently led the Eagles to their third consecutive 1A State Championship, has been named the Gatorade Maryland Softball Player of the Year, the company announced Thursday from its base in Chicago.

The Gatorade award recognizes athletic and academic achievement and exemplary character on and off the field.

“Now, she’s one of the 50 best players in the country,” Bo Manor head coach Ed Abshagen said. “Could she be No. 1 in the country? With those stats, yes.”

From the circle, Penta pitched to a 21-0 record and a 0.11 ERA with 299 strikeouts and just 16 hits over 123 innings.

She threw a trio of no-hitters in the 1A postseason, including Saturday’s 19-strikeout gem against Sparrows Point in the state championship game. The junior also ended the regular season with a perfect game against 2A East Region finalist North East.

At the plate, she batted .586 with nine home runs, 34 RBIs, 25 runs scored and a 1.143 slugging percentage.

“She’s a good enough player to continually force coaching decisions on the opposite side,” Jeff Horton, head coach of rival Patterson Mill, told Gatorade. “I’m convinced that Bo Manor wouldn’t have beaten us either time without her on the team.”

Penta, who verbally committed to Auburn University, is ranked as the nation’s No. 5 recruit in the Class of 2020 by Softball America. Her efforts helped Bo Manor become the first Cecil County softball program to win three consecutive state championships.

“I’m very honored to have three in a row, but once again, it’s the team. I wouldn’t be anywhere without my team,” Penta said Saturday. “They did most of this. They scored all the runs. I can’t do this all myself.”

Penta has volunteered locally collecting goods for those in need, and as a youth softball coach. She has maintained a weighted 4.12 GPA in the classroom, Gatorade reported.

She joins recent Gatorade Maryland Softball Players of the Year Campbell Kline (2017-18, Severna Park), Kaitlin Beasley-Polko (2016-17, Leonardtown), Madison Aughinbaugh (2015-16, St. Mary’s Ryken), Nicole Stockinger (2014-15, Sherwood) and Jordan Cargile (2013-14, Eastern Tech).

According to Gatorade, its Player of the Year program “annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field. The company also awards one National Player of the Year in each sport.

“From the 12 national winners, one male and one female athlete are each named Gatorade High School Athlete of the Year. In all, 607 athletes are honored each year.”

Penta, who has an opportunity to award a $1,000 grant to a local or national youth sports organization of her choosing, is in the running for the nation’s Softball Player of the Year, announced in June.

“She’s such an amazing athlete and person and a friend,” Bo Manor junior third baseman Carlee Ferguson said Saturday. “Without her, this team, we would be OK, but she’s really the glue that holds us together.”

Very impressive.  Ms. Penta sounds like the kind of recruit that Dean needs to build his own reputation.  Assuming we keep both her and Ms. Lowe, those are bright lights at the end of the tunnel.

17 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Very impressive.  Ms. Penta sounds like the kind of recruit that Dean needs to build his own reputation.  Assuming we keep both her and Ms. Lowe, those are bright lights at the end of the tunnel.

He still needs to recruit better hitters. That's the difference from the power conferences like the SEC & PAC 12 to other conferences. You can be highly successful in other conferences with a dominant arm or 2. In the SEC & PAC 12 teams need to more well rounded.

Penta looks like a dominant pitcher and hitter.  That adds one bat to the arsenal.

Interesting article.  https://extrainningsoftball.com/extra-star-power-2020-extra-elite-100-player-spotlight-madison-penta/

Impressive strikeout numbers in club ball.  High school stats can be deceiving depending on the quality of competition.  She fits in with CMD's philosophy of his pitchers being multi-faceted.  Our recent transfer, Sam Yarbrough fits this as well.  If CMD gets these ladies who can play a position and pitch, he doesn't need a large roster.

From the article:

It was a bittersweet summer for Auburn-bound Madison (“Maddie”) Penta, the tall flame-throwing pitcher from Maryland ,who was almost untouchable for much of the club season, striking out 312 of the 580 batters she faced before a stress fracture in her arm curtailed the Keystone State hurler’s great run.

At the So Cal A’s Invitational in June, Maddie was very impressive and it looked like she was going to be one of the top pitchers heading into nationals, but unfortunately she wasn’t able to make it to nationals as hoped.

Maddie-Penta-pitches-on-the-field-shell-

It was an interesting injury too in that her forearm muscle got too strong and it caused a fracture during a pitch thrown in a game. However, she went to the physician who fixed former Red Sox ace Curt Schilling’s shoulder and now Madison is back on the mend ready to have an even bigger and better 2019.

• 3 weeks later...

I get it she was one of the former Myers commits but it just stings losing all these top ranked players. She was ranked #37 overall in the 2020 class by FloSoftball and hit over .400 BA during I believe her freshman and sophomore travel seasons against good competition.

I know we have some good talent coming in but losing good players always stinks.

The note I have indicated she was a verbal Nov 2018.  We have two other high rated pitchers in that class (Shelby Lowe and Maddie Penta) so I was thinking it may be easy for one of the three to explore other options.  Also believe I read she had a good friend commit to Gators and would not be surprised to see her there...…..closer to home, good friend, higher profile program.  

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 Softball Recruiting Thread
1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

closer to home, good friend, higher profile program.  

all that...and probably lower cost to attend school ...even with the AU scholly. 

but sounds like the pitching situation for AU is probably OK for now....if they others stick. 

• 3 weeks later...

Softball America had a ranking of the top 50 players for the 2020 class.  #5 was Madison Penta and #9 was Shelby Lowe.  Davidson, the pitcher who decommitted, was  #36.  

• 5 weeks later...

2021 1B/3B Bri Ellis just committed to Auburn. She was a former Texas A&M commit.

From the info I could find on her, in her two years and 60 total games of H.S. softball she has a BA of .414, 25 HR’s, and 82 RBI’s. 

Also one 2018 FloSoftball article said that Ellis hit 7 home runs in 10 games at the 2018 Tulsa Elite Shootout.

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 Softball Recruiting Thread
  • 3 weeks later...

From Flo Softball Oct 8 article regarding 2020 commits.

"Maddie Penta (Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year) and Shelby Lowe could be absolute game-changers for Auburn in the circle. Penta was dynamite over the summer winning TC/USA Nationals. Lefty hurler Lowe was equally impressive leading the Bolts to a 5th place finish at PGF Premier Nationals." 

Looks like another one of AU's top softball commits has removed being a commit from social media. Maybe the top player we had committed in the '22 class has removed her commit from her Twitter account and will be at the UT prospect camp this weekend in Knoxville. 

That is the second top commit, the other being a '21 commit in Aubrey Barnhart that has removed their commit from social media.

Ouch!!!

5 hours ago, wmsau said:

Looks like another one of AU's top softball commits has removed being a commit from social media. Maybe the top player we had committed in the '22 class has removed her commit from her Twitter account and will be at the UT prospect camp this weekend in Knoxville. 

That is the second top commit, the other being a '21 commit in Aubrey Barnhart that has removed their commit from social media.

Ouch!!!

Who?   When?

The '22 commit that has removed her commitment from AU is Taylor Pannell. Told Dean two weeks ago that she has concerns around the program. AU would still be in consideration, HOWEVER!

This is happening too much considering Dean is headed into his 3rd year at AU and more and more of our top commits are moving on. 

3 hours ago, wmsau said:

The '22 commit that has removed her commitment from AU is Taylor Pannell. Told Dean two weeks ago that she has concerns around the program. AU would still be in consideration, HOWEVER!

This is happening too much considering Dean is headed into his 3rd year at AU and more and more of our top commits are moving on. 

Did these players originally commit to Coach Dean or Coach Meyers? It's very common for a prospect to de-commit after a coaching change. This happens in every sport, not just softball.

Archived