pace of play next season

GwillMac6

Makes a ton of sense, I think all of us was predicting this was going to have to be a team that excelled in the half court, just based on what's here. Post-ups are going to have to be set up better, shots are definitely going to have to be smarter

Pace of play is a depth issue too....not gonna have so many speedsters this year....or at least looks that way for the moment. 

I am assuming that is because of number of new players and not having Harper at PG. Based on how athletic some of our new players are I will bet as season goes on that the pace will increase to take advantage of that assuming PG can control it at a high pace.

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Makes a ton of sense, I think all of us was predicting this was going to have to be a team that excelled in the half court, just based on what's here. Post-ups are going to have to be set up better, shots are definitely going to have to be smarter

A lot of our pace last year was D. We have some very athletic long guys this year once they learn the D and how to work as a unit I actually could see our D pressure cause turnovers and quick baskets. I do agree we will slow down when we don't get the turnover and try to get Wiley down low.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Muschamp???

Just kidding. It makes sense but I will miss the fast pace something fierce. 

• WarTiger changed the title to pace of play next season

Makes 100% sense to me.  When you have veteran guys that know the playbook front and back, you can go pace.  As you break in newer players, it needs to be slowed down.  Not a bad thing particularly, we just need to be more efficient in our shots.  

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

Makes 100% sense to me.  When you have veteran guys that know the playbook front and back, you can go pace.  As you break in newer players, it needs to be slowed down.  Not a bad thing particularly, we just need to be more efficient in our shots.  

Bruce does not have a system. He just recruits the most talented players he can sign and builds the offense around them accordingly each season. That Rocky Top Elite 8 team he had was the total opposite of his Final 4 team here. Whereas AU was one of the fastest teams in the country this year and made the  second most 3 pointers in a single season all time that UT squad slowed the pace REALLY down. They were a defensive juggernaut and scored just enough to win 28 games that year. He has shown he can win different ways. THE TRUE makings of a great coach. He does not force a system on players and try to fit a square peg in a round hole yadda yadda yadda typical cliche! lol. 

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruce does not have a system. He just recruits the most talented players he can sign and builds the offense around them accordingly each season. That Rocky Top Elite 8 team he had was the total opposite of his Final 4 team here. Whereas AU was one of the fastest teams in the country this year and made the  second most 3 pointers in a single season all time that UT squad slowed the pace REALLY down. They were a defensive juggernaut and score just enough to win 28 games that year. He has shown he can win different ways. THE TRUE makings of a great coach. He does not force a system on players and try to fit a square peg in a round hole yadda yadda yadda typical cliche! lol. 

Not disagreeing with what you are saying.  Your post and mine are not related though, as in both can coexist.  A good example is when Steele first got to Auburn.  Or Muschamp.  The first season we ran a simple scheme as installing too much resulted in poor results.  As the players became veterans, more could be expected.  Same here.  With new players coming in, Bruce is molding his scheme to them (to your point) in slowing down the game.  Taking what they are good at and going to that strength.  And with that, you can’t rush them, or mistakes happen.  Just like our run in the tourney, we honed in on those Kansas, UNC, and Kentucky freshmen, made them speed up and make mistakes.  We don’t want mistakes so we need to slow down a tad.

Bruce Pearl: We’ll go from 'fastest team ... to a kind of normal-paced team’

Bruce Pearl

AP

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl speaks with his team during practice at the NCAA men's college basketball tournament Wednesday, March 20, 2019, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

179 shares

A lot has happened with Auburn basketball since its run to the Final Four ended in April. It saw top players Chuma Okeke and Jared Harper leave early for the NBA. It saw the school announce it was expecting additional NCAA sanctions, and it invited back suspended assistant coach Ira Bowman. They also brought in six new freshmen and saw the NCAA move back the 3-point line.

And so when head coach Bruce Pearl was asked by Jon Rothstein about his 2019-20 team, it became clear that a wild offseason means the upcoming team is going to look a lot different.

“We’re gonna go from the fastest team in the country,” Pearl said, “to kind of a normal-paced team.”

Pearl said that’s because a lot of the better returning players are on the front line, and because of that, “We’re gonna be going inside a lot more.”

“Coach Hayden Fry was a great coach at Iowa, always said, ‘You’ve got to scratch where it itches,’" Pearl said. "I’ve got to go to my strengths, put the best players I can on the floor.”

While it isn’t true that Auburn was the fastest team in the country last season — in fact, AU was the No. 155 team in adjusted tempo, per Kenpom, it is fair that the Tigers were a quick-trigger offense.

But now Auburn’s top two guards are gone with Harper and Bryce Brown having moved on. And with 13 scholarship players, eight will not have played last year. The other five players, Anfernee McLemore, Austin Wiley, Danjel Purifoy, J’Von McCormick and Samir Doughty, are all seniors.

“It’s gonna be a very very unique roster that will have its challenges coming together,” Pearl said. “because as a family we have such little history together. But you know what, we’ve got a great culture.”

Pearl has already talked about the NCAA’s extension of the 3-point line, noting that “I’m still going to play the same way.” That’s not necessarily a contradiction on his comments from Monday, but Pearl has now said he plans to remain 3-point heavy, while also saying the team will be going inside a lot more. Auburn led the country in 3-point shot attempts last year.

Bruce has an offensive system, it's been years but whenever I had everybody arguing with me about cimmeon Bowers (?) Handling the basketball I pointed out how he was establishing a system......apparently we don't have enough ball handlers and of course players like chumma don't grow on trees

I think this year will be fun/frustrating/bewildering all in one big lump.....it will be fun watching the young guys develop into mature basketball players....30 wins ain't gonna happen, but returning to the NCAA will be great for the young guys....i just hope wiley developes some touch around the basket

Will be interesting to see if he try’s Amac at the 4 - which I doubt.  We definitely have the young athletes that will deserve floor time.  I’m gonna spit ball that a couple of the seniors end up on the second line to have experience on the floor at all times.  

This is going to be a fun season.  There will be success but even the failures will show the future potential.  The end of the season will be a blast.  Just gotta win enough in the OOC early.

@cole256 don’t forget I was there with you as a bowers defender!  I said it a million times then through now ... people gotta listen to CBP in post games with the AU radio guys.  He lays it all out there after games.

21 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Will be interesting to see if he try’s Amac at the 4 - which I doubt.  We definitely have the young athletes that will deserve floor time.  I’m gonna spit ball that a couple of the seniors end up on the second line to have experience on the floor at all times.  

This is going to be a fun season.  There will be success but even the failures will show the future potential.  The end of the season will be a blast.  Just gotta win enough in the OOC early.

@cole256 don’t forget I was there with you as a bowers defender!  I said it a million times then through now ... people gotta listen to CBP in post games with the AU radio guys.  He lays it all out there after games.

You're right, this was around the time golden state was taking off! I pointed out how Bruce is really coaching his butt off. They had to look past having a few turnovers.....nah I was stupid and all that back then....

On 7/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Bruce does not have a system. He just recruits the most talented players he can sign and builds the offense around them accordingly each season. That Rocky Top Elite 8 team he had was the total opposite of his Final 4 team here. Whereas AU was one of the fastest teams in the country this year and made the  second most 3 pointers in a single season all time that UT squad slowed the pace REALLY down. They were a defensive juggernaut and scored just enough to win 28 games that year. He has shown he can win different ways. THE TRUE makings of a great coach. He does not force a system on players and try to fit a square peg in a round hole yadda yadda yadda typical cliche! lol. 

Most of what you say is correct but Tennessee wasn't always slow, when they had Chris lofton and Tyler Smith they could run. Also when they had no I Prince and Scotty hopson

He does coach to his team strengths though

Just when i was getting used to the wildass frenzy style pace, now its going to slow down.....It really sunk in as to what BP was doing toward the end of the year.....Here is what worries me about going to a more lowpost game, Wiley lays a lot of bricks and does not shoot FT's well.  I do realize that it won't be dependent solely on the low block game, although i am happy to see more of it, but i just wonder how much slower things will get....i yelled about bad shots, but i got used to it 

12 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Just when i was getting used to the wildass frenzy style pace, now its going to slow down.....It really sunk in as to what BP was doing toward the end of the year.....Here is what worries me about going to a more lowpost game, Wiley lays a lot of bricks and does not shoot FT's well.  I do realize that it won't be dependent solely on the low block game, although i am happy to see more of it, but i just wonder how much slower things will get....i yelled about bad shots, but i got used to it 

He was better his first year, alot of his issues offensively can be attributed to what was apparently a bum hand/thumb, the entire season. Grabbing the ball, laying it up, just about anything involving hand + ball would be at a detriment. IDK if hell become a better FT shooter or a shooter away from the rim, but he should be able to take advantage of his weight more than he did. 

You are right in being concerned about how many blown under the rim opportunity he had last season, but the reasoning adds up

Last 3 months of the season Wiley didn't shoot below 50% in any given game....if he shot a bunch of bricks or can't shoot then nobody on our team could shoot

On 8/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, cole256 said:

Last 3 months of the season Wiley didn't shoot below 50% in any given game....if he shot a bunch of bricks or can't shoot then nobody on our team could shoot

Cole I usually agree with you.  But statistics can be misleading it is true Wiley shot over 50% but the types of shots he was shooting  should have been over 50%.  He missed some very make-able in close shots that he should not have missed. That said I am tickled pink he is back we need his inside presence both on O and D. His D presence in the Playoffs was dramatic not just in blocked shots but in number of misses he caused by his presence down low. 

If he takes the same shots this year and hopefully a few more of them if he is 100% healthy I would expect his % to be closer to 60 or 65%. He is capable of doing a double double every night assuming he gets enough PT.

I

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Cole I usually agree with you.  But statistics can be misleading it is true Wiley shot over 50% but the types of shots he was shooting  should have been over 50%.  He missed some very make-able in close shots that he should not have missed. That said I am tickled pink he is back we need his inside presence both on O and D. His D presence in the Playoffs was dramatic not just in blocked shots but in number of misses he caused by his presence down low. 

If he takes the same shots this year and hopefully a few more of them if he is 100% healthy I would expect his % to be closer to 60 or 65%. He is capable of doing a double double every night assuming he gets enough PT.

I said he didn't shoot below 50 he did shoot closer to 60% fact is though every big man will say he misses some he shouldn't, thing about Wiley is he's never allowed to get in a rhythm or to exploit a mismatch. Most of the time he gets a shot is after he's worked his butt off to get an offensive rebound and has to usually rush a shot up after exuding a major amount of energy. You hardly ever see him get to post up, make a move and simply finish. 

You can't blame this guy on stuff he doesn't get to do. If you made it where Harper and Brown had to shoot within 3/4 seconds every time they touched the ball they would've shot in the 20's.

As far as handling the ball I look at him like I look at our wr's in football. If he was afforded more passes he would get better at handling the ball. Shots too. When you only get 3 or 4 shots an entire game year your percentage is going to be skewed one way or the other

Sounds like Wiley will have every opportunity possible to prove he is still an NBA level talent. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I agree with most on here that he took a step back last season. I think a lot of that can be attributed to just being out of rhythm perhaps? He play times were sporadic due to injuries and our offense certainly did not run through him in anyway so it would be understandable why he had problems getting in a flow. Still he missed several dunks and had several balls bounce off his hands that looked like good feeds. I thought his greatest asset as a freshmen was how well he moved for his size and he did not move that way last season. Again could be injuries that played into that. Hope he can stay healthy and on the court for us. When he signed i thought he had a change to be best bball player to come through here. 

Archived