Why not Gatewood at RB?

Quietmaninthecorner

With our RB issues,  why not put Gatewood at RB?   he is big enough to block,  and should know the plays already.  if anything, handing him the rock a few times would cause defenses to key on him.   Opening up everything else.  a surprise flee flicker with the threat of Joey running it.    How do you stop that?!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Quietmaninthecorner said:

With our RB issues,  why not put Gatewood at RB he is big enough to block,  and should know the plays already.  if anything, handing him the rock a few times would cause defenses to key on him.   Opening up everything else.  Flee flicker with the threat of Joey running it.    How do you stop that?!

This would require exceeding the 3 plays currently installed in the running game. ..................

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

With our RB issues,  why not put Gatewood at RB?   he is big enough to block,  and should know the plays already.  if anything, handing him the rock a few times would cause defenses to key on him.   Opening up everything else.  a surprise flee flicker with the threat of Joey running it.    How do you stop that?!

Not a bad idea. I think we will see more “wrinkles going forward. 

13 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Yeah, but can he run it a dozen times in a row? Asking for a friend.

The only RB issues we have are lack of rotation, lack of blocking, and lack of diverse run calls. Why add another "RB" when we don't use the other 4 now?

This may be heresy, but I'm not 100% convinced that we are not going to need him under center for stretches this season to win. But at least at running back he would fall forward for 2.5 yards on every dive up the centers rear...

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The only RB issues we have are lack of rotation, lack of blocking, and lack of diverse run calls. Why add another "RB" when we don't use the other 4 now?

the reason behind my thinking is that our other 4 RBs do not garner the attention Gatewood could.    Defenses are not scared of our current stable,  and the threat of  Gatewood throwing (like wildcat) is strong enough defenses would have to respect it.       He doesn't need to be in the game all the time.  10 or so plays with 50% of those he gets the ball and 1/4 of those he passes.

Checked a few box scores just now. Auburn used 3 backs if one counts Gatewood.

A&M used two backs. Clemson used two backs. LSU used 3 backs. Texas used 3 backs. Mississippi State used 4 rbs. OM used 3. Seems, unless the game was a blowout, most teams had a feature back with 2/3 of the totes.

Sorta like Auburn

Gatewood is 6'5" and runs a 4.7 or 4.8 and you are going to put him 3 yds behind the LOS? HE would never get to the line. Oh, he might break a tackle here and there, but he would lose more yards than gain. 

His advantage is his ability to run an RPO or a QB designed sweep. 

And remember, its our LINE that is the major problem, not our RBs...

ALL players should be used WHEREVER they help the TEAM. Period 

8 minutes ago, WarTim said:

ALL players should be used WHEREVER they help the TEAM. Period 

Football doesn't work that way. You just don't put a QB at RB. There are so many different aspects he would have to learn. ANd tbh, we have a back like that already in Joiner, that Gus doesn't use as a RB except to pass to him once a game.

If your idea is get Gatewood more into the game, then let him go in at QB at different times in the game and see if he can run the HUNH or RPOs and get our Running game going. But don't wait till the end.

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

We don't have an issue at running back. Offensive line has been inconsistent. Running plays in these first two weeks have been predictable. And, after rewatching the game last night, I don't think we are running downhill enough as it is. Against Oregon, we came out trying to throw the ball downfield. Against Tulane, we spent most of the first half trying to run to the perimeter. What does it matter who is playing running back if they aren't getting rushes?

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Gatewood is 6'5" and runs a 4.7 or 4.8 and you are going to put him 3 yds behind the LOS? HE would never get to the line. Oh, he might break a tackle here and there, but he would lose more yards than gain. 

His advantage is his ability to run an RPO or a QB designed sweep. 

And remember, its our LINE that is the major problem, not our RBs...

Steel,  I agree about the OL.     They are weeks behind a lot of our rivals. 

Our ability to pass been diminished with the injuries to WR.  We MUST do something to get the running game going.    Just spit-balling about Gatewood.   But I think it would help.  Get him on the field and D's have a new dynamic to think about.  Will he block?  will he pass?  will he run?  is he just a distraction?  He can still be back up QB.   He just needs to learn 5 or 6 plays at RB.  Something to help the OL out.

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

We don't have an issue at running back. Offensive line has been inconsistent. Running plays in these first two weeks have been predictable. And, after rewatching the game last night, I don't think we are running downhill enough as it is. Against Oregon, we came out trying to throw the ball downfield. Against Tulane, we spent most of the first half trying to run to the perimeter. What does it matter who is playing running back if they aren't getting rushes?

TRUE,  but  I still  would like to see him on the field more often.

18 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Football doesn't work that way. You just don't put a QB at RB. There are so many different aspects he would have to learn. ANd tbh, we have a back like that already in Joiner, that Gus doesn't use as a RB except to pass to him once a game.

If your idea is get Gatewood more into the game, then let him go in at QB at different times in the game and see if he can run the HUNH or RPOs and get our Running game going. But don't wait till the end.

It is no different than the wildcat package other than 2 QBs in the backfield. i am sure he can handle learning a few plays in the next few weeks.   He should alrady know what the RB is supposed to do on any given play.   I am not saying make him a permanent RB  more like put him in at RB for a few plays.   Distraction...Just learn who to block.    where to take the hand off/ pitch.   and    pitch/RPO .   each for 2 plays gives 6 options not including  Bo's options while Joey blocks.   

EDIT: I am all for more QB time for Joey,  but this is GUS we are talking about.

What? 

We already have a stable of RBs who already don't get touches. 

And with the deficiencies at OL, he is the QB that we will probably need to win football games. 

This isn't a knock on Nix. If we had a legitimate SEC OL, Nix could absolutely be the QB to win us football games. But the fact of the matter is that our OL play is atrocious... and with atrocious OL play comes a need for a player like Gatewood. Everyone in the stadium knew Gatewood would be running the ball... including the Tulane defense that had largely corralled Nix, KMart, and Boobee all night long. Gatewood drove it up the field. His running ability is what makes him in my eyes the best option until something comes together for this OL. 

Because continuing to run Nix out there with this OL can very easily ruin him. 

Archived