Linebacker Play

AUght2win

10 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

The alternative is for D lineman to run away from the QB like he has the plague, refusing to apply pressure? Look if you have a great D lineman who can identify the play and make it, great. But a pass rusher's job is to rush the passer.

The O line is going to give an initial punch. They don't just Olay-block. Good ones will make the D-lineman believe he won the matchup, not that the OL is intentionally letting him go. Asking a lot to have your D linemen cap their aggression by coaching them to drop back, ever. When in doubt, get to the QB. 

Silly me. All this time I presumed the dline's role was to recognize the screen and then occupy the olineman to prevent them from moving downfield to block.Not blindly pursue the qb as he drops a pass over their head to a waiting ballcarrier and convoy.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Silly me. All this time I presumed the dline's role was to recognize the screen and then occupy the olineman to prevent them from moving downfield to block.Not blindly pursue the qb as he drops a pass over their head to a waiting ballcarrier and convoy.

Yes. Silly you. 

1:30. Watch our backers swarm. One kills the RB and Michael Goggans seals the game with an INT. I am sure some guys coach their defensive linemen to hold up if they are certain it's a screen. I am sure others (my preference) want to apply as much pressure as possible and depend on your backers to dodge a lumbering O lineman. 

12 hours ago, weagl1 said:

If any of our opponents are watching film at all they are going to screen pass us to death.  That was an awful job of recognition and KS did it time and time again.  I wonder if their OL was so bad our guys didn’t recognize when they were being turned loose.  

Good if they do we will have some easy pickens  cause I can assure that will be the number one practice drill this week 

31 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I don't think I have ever seen a DL turn completely around and tackle an RB on a completed screen.

Really?

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Really?

Now as he argues with you watch how matter of factly he states wrong stuff....it's weird. You rarely come across a person who can be so wrong but have that type of confidence

32 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yes. Silly you. 

1:30. Watch our backers swarm. One kills the RB and Michael Goggans seals the game with an INT. I am sure some guys coach their defensive linemen to hold up if they are certain it's a screen. I am sure others (my preference) want to apply as much pressure as possible and depend on your backers to dodge a lumbering O lineman. 

For this one play, I bet there are thousands of others where the offense tore off a huge gain when the dline, by trying to 'pounce' on the qb, allowed the oline to move downfield unimpeded to block.

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now as he argues with you watch how matter of factly he states wrong stuff....it's weird. You rarely come across a person who can be so wrong but have that type of confidence

Lmao Cole, that's saying something. I mean I don't know much about individual posters but I know you are always THE guy who gets excoriated in every topic for being wrong or having a weird take. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Give me a DL that charges and rushes like is being suggested and I'll have 400 yards from draws and screens. 

There is a reason this play has survived through all the iterations and huge changes in offensive football. It is not easy to defend no matter what your philosophy is on it.

Just now, AUght2win said:

Lmao Cole, that's saying something. I mean I don't know much about individual posters but I know you are always THE guy who gets excoriated in every topic for being wrong or having a weird take. 

For being wrong???  Always?? Lol yeah you got me all the way messed up. This board isn't a popularity contest. Don't get confused with a bunch of people mad that I don't praise who they say should be praised to being wrong. X's and O's???? 

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Really?

No I admit that's too far. A good DL can make a tackle, but man you better be right. The first screen against KSU was a double screen, with the fake to the far side WR. Pappoe was all on it and gonna make a tackle. KJ was WAAAAY too late. Our ends got frozen in confusion and didn't do much of anything.

20190915_191940.jpg

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

It's not easy to do but it's always part of a d lineman's job to identify screens,

I will admit I was too dogmatic earlier. A DL can stop a screen. But I wouldn't blame a DL for a screen busting open. I mean I don't expect a DT to go anywhere but up field. Personally don't want him worried about tunnel screens or having to worry about anything but penetration. Regardless of who, SOMEBODY still has to pressure the QB even on a screen. 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

No I admit that's too far. A good DL can make a tackle, but man you better be right. The first screen against KSU was a double screen, with the fake to the far side WR. Pappoe was all on it and gonna make a tackle. KJ was WAAAAY too late. Our ends got frozen in confusion and didn't do much of anything.

20190915_191940.jpg

Also fairly positive we were in zone here. At least KJ and the safeties were. Honestly they may have just caught us with a perfect play call. But still. Damn, idk how KJ was that late.

33 minutes ago, cole256 said:

For being wrong???  Always?? Lol yeah you got me all the way messed up. This board isn't a popularity contest. Don't get confused with a bunch of people mad that I don't praise who they say should be praised to being wrong. X's and O's???? 

Ain’t but one poster I’ve seen so far who is consistently wrong...and it ain’t Cole...

I just remember how bad our linebacking corps was a few years ago and I’m appreciative its better than that. I don’t know X’s and O’s like some of y’all but I do know our tackling and pursuit to the ball have improved dramatically under Steele. Amazing what the right coach can do...

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Ain’t but one poster I’ve seen so far who is consistently wrong...and it ain’t Cole...

What have I been consistently wrong about - guy I don't know from Adam?

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

There is a reason this play has survived through all the iterations and huge changes in offensive football. It is not easy to defend no matter what your philosophy is on it.

Sorry, but that's not right either. It is still around because it's one of the best ways to effectively counter overly aggressive and undisciplined defensive lines.  It is literally designed to take advantage of what you think the DL should do. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Sorry, but that's not right either. It is still around because it's one of the best ways to effectively counter overly aggressive and undisciplined defensive lines.  It is literally designed to take advantage of what you think the DL should do. 

So you consider fighting to get to the QB when he drops back an overly aggressive and undisciplined strategy. 👌 This is what I am talking about. You never take a DL's aggression away. If they hit screens so be it. I have yet to see 4 down linemen coached to hesistate on passing downs. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

So you consider fighting to get to the QB when he drops back an overly aggressive and undisciplined strategy. 👌 This is what I am talking about. You never take a DL's aggression away. If they hit screens so be it. I have yet to see 4 down linemen coached to hesistate on passing downs. 

It is when other things happen on the field that are dead giveaways that they're running a screen.

Respectfully, are you familiar with the credentials of the person with whom you're arguing? 

There is a good reason DL run screenand retreat drills. 

Here is a good example of a DL playing under control and defending the screen.

CoordinatedNarrowBlesbok.gif

The DL is taught to fight to pressure but when they feel the release of the OL to retreat and get their eyes on the back and pursue.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

So you consider fighting to get to the QB when he drops back an overly aggressive and undisciplined strategy.

I'd say you can't make stuff up like that, but then there it is...

On 9/15/2019 at 12:37 AM, AUght2win said:

Scares me. All those screens and QB scrambles to convert 3rd downs are entirely because of lack of LB Awareness and Instinct. I think KJ can be great, but he has to pick it up. And stop celebrating every time he makes a stop after a gain of 2. 

Wooten seems to be the most disciplined in knowing where the ball is going. Pappoe is going to be an all-time great. Just hope the unit can pull it together before we get into the heart of conference play.

Calm down there, we are 3-0 everything will be ok. It was by coaching design I'm sure😎

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It is when other things happen on the field that are dead giveaways that they're running a screen.

Respectfully, are you familiar with the credentials of the person with whom you're arguing? 

No I'm not, nor does it particularly matter. I have played D-line (not that that means anything other than I at least know the frame of mind). It's the simplest position in football. Not the easiest, but the simplest. Gap responsibility and penetration. Your eyes aren't anywhere but the backfield. On passing downs you fight desperately to cause pressure because you know the entire defense is predicated on it. There is no such thing as an "over aggressive defensive lineman", unless you're talking about guys who leave their feet, jump offsides, or fly upfield passed the QB. 

Screens are to take advantage of undisciplined linebackers or blitz heavy teams who leave nobody home to stop the play. Not "over aggressive defensive linemen" (an oxymoron). 

Archived